Stealth

Dan_Rush

Yes.

Many Times, Out of all the Intamin accelerators, Stealth seems to roll back the most.Does anyone have any idea, if theoreticly, intamin could re-gain the worlds fastest ride title from S&S, with their hydraulic lanch system? Does it have the Capacity to do so?

Stealth runs at nothing what it could run at (I can't remember the exact detail). But with the obvious H&S issues for the riders, the train, the brakes and even, the track it travels at the perfect speed to safely take it over it's 205ft height.

Stealth is more-than-likely perfectly able to reach 100mph, but down to H&S (now there's a name I didn't expect to see...), along with the design of the restraints; the aero-dynamic quality of the train; all stop it form doing so, but the main reson why is H&S. It could also be down to a restricted budget during construction - so Thorpe couldn't afford more than 24 hydraulic tanks.Just a theory...

It could also be down to a restricted budget during construction - so Thorpe couldn't afford more than 24 hydraulic tanks.Just a theory...

Well we know they bought a few more of them, knocking the time in to the under 2 second barrier. So nothing stops them buying more in the future and enhancing the ride. :)

Well we know they bought a few more of them, knocking the time in to the under 2 second barrier. So nothing stops them buying more in the future and enhancing the ride.

^The acceleration change never actually happened in '07. It always had a max of 1.9 secs from the start. It varies though. Used to know an engineer on it. It was a play on Marketing. It could go much faster than its set at. Much faster. Xcelerator at +100mph:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2b6OaI0BXM

It would need extra tanks if a big speed increase was going to be a permanent thing, but for one launch at 100mph or whatever then the normal tanks would handle it, and probably just take longer to reset after for the next launch. Not forgetting that it would need extra height if it was going to be made faster because of the force going over the top, which would be potentially lethal to riders :)Yes the 2007 Stealth 1.1 thing was just a marketing trick, all thats different is take the measurement half way down the launch track instead of the end, and say yeaah it took 1.9 seconds to reach this point! And thus marketing that and making everyone believe their sneaky trick.

The problem with launching the trains much faster is to do with safety. Whilst human beings can endure relatively high positive G (the feeling when you are pushed down in to the seat - bottom of nemesis inferno loop), we cannot endure anywhere near as high negative G (the feeling when you float out of your seat - Stealth Air Time hill). Linear G is the type of G force human begins can survive the most. You get + or - linear G when something accelerates or decelerates rapidly (the force you have pulling you back into your seat on Stealth launch and the opposite feeling falling forward at the end of the Stealth airtime hill). The final type of force whilst not relevant to this discussion is lateral G (the force of side to side motion - the top parts of Rattlesnake), humans can survive little lateral G.Now lets explore Stealth as a ride. As the train accelerates you experience a positive Linear G Force. As the train approaches the bottom of the incline that force is converted into a normal Positive G Force (the feeling of being pushed down). As the train reaches the top hat the train starts to be pulled around (the shape of the track) however we are still going upwards - Normal Negative G Force. As the train starts to fall we are slammed into the restraint and fall with the train. At the bottom of the decline we experience Normal Positive G as the train flattens out but our momentum still caries us down. We go over the airtime hill where we both decelerate, so Negative Linear G Force but also raise upwards, so Normal Negative G Force.For reference Normal Positive G Force causes blood to rush FROM the brain. If it gets very bad it is called a blackout (you don't know its going to happen and it suddenly goes dark). This isn't to dangerous as long as blood can get back quickly enough. Grey outs are similar to blackouts but not as severe. Red Outs are far more dangerous. This causes blood to rush very quickly to the brain. The name is because the last thing you see is red before you pass out. Red Out's can for some people cause blood vessels in the brain to burst and thus cause internal bleeding within the brain, as well as damage to nerves and the eyes.We know that humans can survive quite a lot of Normal Positive G, and Linear G Force. However humans cannot endure much Normal Negative G Force, this causes blood to rush to the brain. Now the faster the train is launched, the higher that initial Linear G Force, this is converted into a higher normal Positive G Force. The train is now approaching the top of the ride at a higher speed. As the train passes over the top hat you are travelling upwards at a higher speed. The same with your blood. The restraint stops your body however the blood inside caries on going up in to your brain. The force is higher because the train is travelling faster, so the blood travels faster so more blood gets in to the brain. You are then pulled downwards by the train resulting in lower Negative G Force and Linear force until the bottom of the decline where you hit Positive G, blood rushes from the head, the rest you can work out yourselves.As you can see its not just a case of increasing the acceleration is also to do with the other implications of the actions, not even looking at the extra maintenance that would be required.I understand now that some of the terminology may have been borrowed and are not TRUE scientific terms. When we finally get around to doing a new Maniahub more of this type of information will be available.Any questions or arguments welcome. There are some useful sources of information out there on the internet already, a book on Rollercoaster Physics and a few pages on Coasterforce (do a google search you lazy people :))

So if I’ve interpreted you right (which I doubt I have) because of all kinds of G-Force, the speed the ride is launched has to correspond with the height, (e.g. 80 MPH to 205 foot and 128 MPH (I think) To 4?? Ft) as the train goes over the top at a speed that does not produce harmful amounts of G's?So really to go faster we have to just have straight flat rides (Like ring racer) or add yet more height onto a top hat.Two Questions I have.One, what is the difference between KK and Stealth's restraints? As, the pictures I've looked at don't show any difference to me.And, does anyone have any idea of which launch mechanism (Intamin hydraulic or S&S compressed air) has the theoretical capability to reach greater speeds?

Ugh, get over it! Stealth is technically able to launch faster, but for all the reasons Ian has written, it won't and never will. For those wanting the world record, does it really honestly matter? Blackpool's Pepsi Max had a record once and it was and still is, possibly THE most boring roller coaster in the entire universe! Having the FASTEST, TALLEST, LOOPIEST, STEEPEST ride in the world means NADA. Nemesis at Alton Towers has no world firsts, yet look what reputation it has, world class.

So if I’ve interpreted you right (which I doubt I have) because of all kinds of G-Force, the speed the ride is launched has to correspond with the height, (e.g. 80 MPH to 205 foot and 128 MPH (I think) To 4?? Ft) as the train goes over the top at a speed that does not produce harmful amounts of G's?

I looked on RCDB.com. The results:
  • Kingda Ka, the world's tallest, is 456ft high - top speed 128mph
  • Top Thrill Dragster, the second tallest, is 420ft - top speed 120mph
36ft shorter and 8mph slower.

For those wanting the world record, does it really honestly matter? Blackpool's Pepsi Max had a record once and it was and still is, possibly THE most boring roller coaster in the entire universe! Having the FASTEST, TALLEST, LOOPIEST, STEEPEST ride in the world means NADA. Nemesis at Alton Towers has no world firsts, yet look what reputation it has, world class.

I agree with this whole-heartedly, and I think this is what Thorpe screwed up with SAW. They made the most vertical ever (wait, what?) drop and it's crap. I think it would have been far better an an oblivion style drop - you just don't get the same feeling with any more than dead straight.Sure world records get people through the gates, but if nobody wants to re-ride, it's pointless![/offtopic]

I agree with this whole-heartedly, and I think this is what Thorpe screwed up with SAW. They made the most vertical ever (wait, what?) drop and it's crap. I think it would have been far better an an oblivion style drop - you just don't get the same feeling with any more than dead straight.[/offtopic]

I think they should reverse it so, you go slowly up the more than vertical bit, and straight down ;) Stealth seems to be having less downtime of late, Slammer letting the park down :)