Oakwood

Aarron P

Oakwood have officially announced their partnership with the Great Ormond Street Hospital, and part of the £21 entry ticket price will go to them, and the park will be used for GOSH day trips, it seems a themepark has a heart for once and it's not all for profit, which makes me feels warm inside. :)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Went to oakwood yesterday for the after dark event, and also visited the blue lagoon waterpark next door... needless to say it was a great day - oakwood has some really great rides especially Megafobia & Speed (better than Saw: The Ride!), well and drenched as well except it does exactly what it says on the tin haha, the waterpark was also enjoyable, not sure if I would make the effort to go there again, but glad I've been there, and the lazer show and fireworks was a really nice way to end the day :)

Oakwood is a very nice park and as many people say, they lack in major attractions to be able to call themselves a theme park (not necessarily major thrill rides, but chessington a family park has several major attractions just aimed at families), but they really don't know how to run a park do they - it's understandable the rides haven't been built solely for throughput as at once I'm guessing it was a family leisure park, but none of the staff appeared to be in a rush (besides Megafobia right at the end of the day to clear the queue before the fireworks go off next to it - never seen a ride go through riders so fast haha, and was on 2 trains which was good to see) especially on what looked to be an extremely busy day with overflow carpark pretty much full as well. we queued just over an hour for one go on snake river falls, they had one person moving at a snails pace (which was replaced a few mins before our go with someone much faster), but even then there was no way near enough boats and with each queue going one at a time, and then having to wait for more boats to go up, I actually wanted to kill myself how slow it was moving.

Blue Lagoon waterpark was great fun, although the 3 enclosed slides hurt your back as you could feel each joining on the slide, but the outdoor slide which allows 2 people on at a time with different pool stops on the way down really made my day, was really great and did it time and time again... the lazy river and wave pool was a bit meh though.

The throughputs on all the rides at beginning of August were incredibly good throughout the day when I went - they were literally going as fast as they could throughout entire day, on everything. It was brilliant.

How long did your fireworks last for? We went last year and it lasted 20mins.. went this year and it only lasted 5, really disappointed by that!

Oakwood is very nice, specifically for families.

The fireworks three weeks ago was about 7 to 9 minutes, but very good.

I still can't get over there idea of not opening Drenched until 2p.m., "as guests will remain wet for a long time before travelling!", always thought it better to have all day to dry out.

It would only kill if it still had the non existant lap bars the original had and I had the misfortune of going on back in 2003, I was above height restriction but I almost fell out, they werent good although there is no chance with the OTSR's. :P Plus the 2pm isn't just because of popularity its also makes time for them to make all the necessary checks so it wont kill someone again and it used to have 2 boats so its throughputs have decreased somewhat. Its a gret ride shame that its tainted tbh.

Most people go on the water rides at the end of the day anyway because of the reason Jamie specified, and planenut it, you may not of seen them do stuff before 1pm but that still gives them an adequate time to do final checks on Drenched, because its very important. Its still my favourite water ride ever though although I'm still confused as to why they built it though as oakwood is in wales.... and it rains alot :P

Most people go on the water rides at the end of the day anyway because of the reason Jamie specified, and planenut it, you may not of seen them do stuff before 1pm but that still gives them an adequate time to do final checks on Drenched, because its very important.

All safety checks are important, on all rides, and all other rides are checked, so where's the answer in that?

Open the ride, and watch them queue to get soaked.

I still don't understand why anybody with a journey ahead of them would choose to do a wet ride after 3p.m., unless it's a brilliant hot dry summer day.

Just my views.

Is Tidal Wave at Thorpe empty during the mornings?

Safety checks are more important on a ride that has killed some, that is why they don't open it to atleast 2pm, everything has to be quintuple checked so nothing happens that is why throughput is so slow when it is open because of checks because they are really OTT but necessary. Most people I know would rather ride it after 3pm and be wet for the journey home then ride it at opening and be wet the whole day because in the car atleast you dont really have to pay for a warm heat blast to dry you :P

Maybe it's different for people who drive as my dad hates being wet after a water ride and then having to drive. Especially when that ride is Valhalla and you have a 90 minute drive. On really hot days too I'd rather ride Tidal Wave early on because the one you dry of quite quickly and two you don't have to queue for over an hour.