Oakwood

Aarron P

am I the only one here who thinks Speed is insanely rough and boring (apart from the airtime hill)? 

Look forward to seeing what this investment will be!

Whilst its your opinion and I respect that I think your probably in a minority here with Speed. :P But yeah I agree with you on the investment :D

Does anyone know what form the fast track is that they're selling this year as I have a left over laminated fast track card from last year, and planning to visit next week at some point... So onto my next question - looking at going next Wednesday or Thursday as well as going blue lagoon (which is 3 hour session) but wondering who reckons if oakwood would he considerably busier on the Wednesday in comparison to the Thursday as Wednesday is after dark. Cheers.

I can't remember where I heard this but I'm sure I heard that what ever this coaster was it was being shipped from Italy, I didn't even know Italy had a company that did wild mouses unless it is a 2nd one that is being sold...

EDIT: There is a company called L&T systems that do generic wild mouses that can be a seen in Gulliver's parks and pakal in miribilandia so who knows :P

So I actually went to Oakwood for the first time on Monday. It was more enjoyable than I expected given the slight lack of major rides, Speed was alright (less rough than Saw in my opinion, but Saw still has the upper hand for me on theming alone) and Megafobia was great, got considerably rougher during the day but that only compliments the ride. I see what people mean about it being slightly dirty though... and they DEFINITELY could've done with more than 1 car on Speed all day.

It's got too much grass to be another Merlin site, it all needs maintenance. Alton Towers was always a glorious garden, and was their first attempt.

There are too many "hands on" rides, I.e. where the public can control things, they have for years been trying to do away with them except for the dodgems.

I think Oakwood would greatly benefit from a new owner who would put in some investment into it, such as Merlin.

Sticking with Merlin as an example, it has no attractions in Wales at all, and Oakwood's location is perfect for attracting the vast amount of tourists that holiday in the area each year. There is very little competition within a wide radius of the park, the biggest attraction I can think of anywhere near it is Folly Farm, which really isn't in the same market being a zoo. Someone like Merlin could come in and spend a relatively low amount (compared to its other parks), and improve the overall infrastructure and quality of the park, and it would only really need to add a couple of major attractions to make it into a viable full day park that would attract a hell of a lot more visitors each year.

It's obvious that Aspro don't have the best grasp on the market, and looking at their portfolio it is mostly marine or water parks, and Oakwood is their only notable theme park. With the lack of investments since their acquisition (I know they have done in the past two years, but is this too little too late?) and now the introduction of an extremely flawed fastrack system, I just don't think that it's looking that great for Oakwood at the moment, and a more experienced hand sterring the ship would hold a much better future for the park.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, I just got back from a trip to Wales, including my first ever Oakwood trip! I love Megaphobia, and Speed is pretty good. It was quite a busy day and both were on one train operation all day! I don't know whether this is normal, but it did drag out he queues for those queueing (don't hate, but I get to skip). Drenched was closed, and it looked like a giant set of Meccano. The train wasn't working, and I was quite worried as a small child could step on the tracks on a day it was working and get hit as there are no fences. I loved the diving, but the commentators Welsh/Fake cowboy accent was kinda tacky and unconvincing. My actual fave was the Toboggan ride!

Another thing is, there is barely any themeing! Themeing really makes a ride a good ride, as if you stripped, say, the Swarm and SAW of their theming, it really wouldn't be the same ride.