Oakwood

Aarron P

Am I missing something with the 4.5 joke? :blink:

I fear this is Oakwood's attempt at improving their current financial situation, however there are so many second hand coasters that would have been better for the park than this IMO.  Even if it rides well (unlikely but can't judge as I haven't been on it), it is likely to be maintenance heavy due to the fact that it's an old Pinfari, which for a park that already struggles with getting rides open isn't ideal.

Is this genuine?

How can they advertise a second Pinfari as a Big new ride? 

I agree with Jamie here, there are so many more second hand cheap rides that are funner to ride and nicer to watch that a Pinfari that hasn't had a paint job. 

Now, this is just an opinion, but I think that Oakwood should have really considered a Maurer Skyloop. Surely due to Maurer Sohne's recent failure and announcement that they will soon stop producing coasters - there coasters will be really cheap as they'd be desperate to make a quick profit. Skyloops look Compact, fun and feature launches which Oawood don't have.

It looks like a second hand Pinfari and I predict that it will ride like it to.

11 hours ago, CharlieN said:

Now, this is just an opinion, but I think that Oakwood should have really considered a Maurer Skyloop. Surely due to Maurer Sohne's recent failure and announcement that they will soon stop producing coasters - there coasters will be really cheap as they'd be desperate to make a quick profit. Skyloops look Compact, fun and feature launches which Oawood don't have.

I'm pretty sure Maurer are doing just fine and trading, but they are just splitting their business divisions and news of this this somehow got lost in translation to English.

If this Pinfari is the best they can do then a skyloop would be waaaay out of reach to buy or to run with the power it uses.

A more realistic option would be something like a skyfly, having ridden one yesterday I'm firmly of the opinion that every park should have one!

1 hour ago, pluk said:

I'm pretty sure Maurer are doing just fine and trading, but they are just splitting their business divisions and news of this this somehow got lost in translation to English.

If this Pinfari is the best they can do then a skyloop would be waaaay out of reach to buy or to run with the power it uses.

A more realistic option would be something like a skyfly, having ridden one yesterday I'm firmly of the opinion that every park should have one!

Oh, I heard that due to them not selling in the Asian market (which is one of the largest upcoming markets) they were not receiving a sufficient profit and were therefore stopping producing coasters and just doing steelworks.

25 minutes ago, CharlieN said:

Oh, I heard that due to them not selling in the Asian market (which is one of the largest upcoming markets) they were not receiving a sufficient profit and were therefore stopping producing coasters and just doing steelworks.

This was rumoured to be the case a few weeks ago - it wasn't just a case of dodgy translation I believe.  But like pluk says, they have simply split into a rides division and a non-rides divisions. 

They have cited that they've had poorer sales than predicted in China recently, hence why the rumour they would stop dealing with rides was somewhat believable. 

Oh Lord.

Never been to Oakwood, but that is awful. It's so garish, that could combat CBeebies land for brightness, and I get a headache just looking at CBeebies. Never been on a Pinfari, but judging by the general reaction they're bad.

• 1 month later...

Went to the park on Saturday (Coaster Club trip). As has been mentioned, the park does appear quite run-down, and even items which were broken in loos over the last three years, are still broken. A new loo "interior" has been installed in the one by Speed, but that has two seats which are broken. I really think that an operation such as this should have a maintenance guy trawling the park all day.

As to the rides, well Speed was ages to start up, but due to no queue later in the day, I was able to re-ride five times without vacating the seat.

Megafobia, well, it's brilliant, and was running great.

Tinkerbells scooters were unavailable, a let down, for a plane nut.

The queues were really low, until the crowds built up for the evening entertainment -  paint throwing, how nuts, what a mess. 

Drenched was pretty wet, but the park has a strange strategy in not opening it until 2 p.m.  "so that guests don't walk around wet all day" - that's their choice, and Tidal Wave at TP has a queue from opening. If it's the cost of financing staff, install a couple more large cubicle dryers, they'd make on that. Drenched did start late due to a wheel fault, and they are only loading fourteen out of the twenty-four seats each time which gives the ride a through put of ...........oh, 100 - per hour.

The fireworks at the end of the day were absolutely brilliant.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
53 minutes ago, Coaster Jamie said:

Did the James and the Giant Peach coaster open?  I remember the park saying it would open this year, so just wondering if that was the case.

Pretty sure it's 2017 now. RCDB mentions this and I don't ever recall hearing it open.

Then again, I'd be surprised if I had given the quality of this.

• 3 months later...

Oakwood have released there 2017 calendar with many changes. During the 15th and 16th of April they are holding a Easter event called 'Eggstravaganza', during midweek in june they will only open 'Neverland' with an entrance fee of £6.70 per child and a adult free, after dark returns with the UV paint party for 9 nights with a new element at the end of the day. Spooktacular returns with the 2 mazes spooked house of horrors and maze of the lost souls with an updated story line but for a new twist for this year they are introducing Spooktacular Bites Back where the park closes at 8:30pm. There is also a season finale night on the 4th of November. Here is the full details http://www.oakwoodthemepark.co.uk/2017/02/16/2017-dates-and-ticketing-announced/

• 2 weeks later...