Oakwood

Aarron P

No major loss as drop towers go. Still a shame that the park may be spitting their drop ride as it was literally the only non-coaster thrill ride there apart from Vertigo (which is extra anyway).

Oakwood as a park that still seems to be slipping, which is a great shame. The park had so much potential when I visited in 2013.

It's still on the mobile website as of now so I wouldn't be too hasty in saying this has definitely gone yet although if it is the case that it had been taken down then I don't know oakwood are gunna survive the next five years when their ride line up is already so incredibly sparse, the park can be done in an hour or two on a quiet day which really isn't good...

• 4 weeks later...

Is Oakwood worth a visit? Got a decision to make over a holiday for my birthday, part of me wants to go to Wales to see Brentford play Cardiff but we normally like going to at least one theme park on a holiday and if Oakwood is worth a visit for our family we'll probably go there. If not we'll go to Paultons.

8 minutes ago, ChessingtonSam said:

Is Oakwood worth a visit? Got a decision to make over a holiday for my birthday, part of me wants to go to Wales to see Brentford play Cardiff but we normally like going to at least one theme park on a holiday and if Oakwood is worth a visit for our family we'll probably go there. If not we'll go to Paultons.

My question to you is do you think you'll have conquered your specific coaster fears by then? ;)

Because you won't want to go there and end up not wanting to ride the major roller coasters/thrill rides.

I think you should spend a day at TP to build you up to the level then make the decision, the question of whether it's worth it will be answered by the people on here who have visited.

13 minutes ago, ChessingtonSam said:

It's a really nice park with some very good rides, but is let down by ride availability and (during busy days) capacity.  Definitely worth a visit though I'd say.

22 hours ago, ChessingtonSam said:

I would strongly recommend going around July/August time as the park tends to host an after dark event on Saturdays, which has comprised late night riding and fireworks.

Apart from that, it may not be worth visiting if you are travelling from a long distance unless you are going on holiday in the local area. It's fairly nearby to places such as Carmarthen, Tenby and Fishguard and just under 2 hours drive from Cardiff.

The place boasts a decent Wooden Coaster and Euro Coaster amongst a major water attraction. The rest of the park is nothing to write about, but the Neverland area is reasonably themed and the Treetops Coaster is an amusing family attraction. 

Shame the place seems seems to be slipping lately though, as a result of poor reliability, operations and general lack of investment. 

• 3 months later...

Can't wait to ride that 10 year old second hand Pinfari when it opens in the next century or so..

I really can't take Oakwood seriously after them purchasing a second hand Pinfari..

Such a shame, as Megafobia looks like a great woodie, and Speed looks like a decent coaster too.

Shame the people running the place are on Class A Drugs..

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Decent visit to Oakwood, After Dark event was good then back later in the week for a full day.

Flight of the Giant Peach is more enjoyable than I expected and the interior queueline is finished off well, I like the area audio too.

Operations were dismal as expected, one train on everything with horrendous queues... some things never change!

• 7 months later...

Strangely, the new for 2017 Dahland has completely vanished from the Oakwood website, with the two attractions (Flight of the Giant Peach and Ladybirdoline) renamed to "The Creepy Crawler" and "The Cauldrons".

https://www.oakwoodthemepark.co.uk/family-adventure/

Apparently they didn't have the rights to the IP?  Words fail me if that's true, how on earth could they be complacent enough to overlook that?

3 minutes ago, Coaster said:

Strangely, the new for 2017 Dahland has completely vanished from the Oakwood website, with the two attractions (Flight of the Giant Peach and Ladybirdoline) renamed to "The Creepy Crawler" and "The Cauldrons".

https://www.oakwoodthemepark.co.uk/family-adventure/

Apparently they didn't have the rights to the IP?  Words fail me if that's true, how on earth could they be complacent enough to overlook that?

The trademark of “Dahland” was opposed by the Dahl family I believe which made them change it. Not to fussed on the name change really. Here’s the map for 2018E72E12C2-1A77-4C78-A630-F8BECFA5DB83.jpeg.b1aa1aaf6daa1458bb79ea438403427b.jpeg

it does show that a new attraction is opening in the summer

16 minutes ago, JoshuaA said:

I think we all just need to move to Rust, Germany.

You misspelled Brühl...

But yeah, is anyone surprised the Dahl family were against / opposed this?  Dahl had high standards and was never a fan of his stuff be remade into any other medium, so his family will be equally against it..