Oakwood

Aarron P

Yeah it is a bit strange, this has to be the most delayed UK theme park project surely?  :lol:

It seems like it has been forgotten about to be honest.

I'm going to the park next weekend so will report on any changes to the area.  Hope operations are better than last year!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Visited Oakwood today. Very empty lots of rerides. Drenched was closed all day :(

The wild west area still has an orange fence and on the map it says new development coming soon. As far as I can tell no work is being done to that at all.

It's a nice park it's just lacking some more rides. Oh and I can see how operations would become annoying if the park was busy. I've never seen a coaster run by 1 person before. Nor 2 flat rides run by 1 person on a rotation thingy.

The park has potential it just needs investment.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So it looks like Oakwood might have a little contender on its hands...

Llanelli Theme Park plan could bring 'as many jobs as Trostre works'

EXCITING plans to build a theme park "twice the size of Oakwood" in Llanelli have been revealed this week.

Gateway Resort are gearing up to submit a planning application early next year that would see a 20 acre site developed just off the A484.

Owner Ken Strelley said the project could take two years and would create "as many jobs as in Trostre Steel works".

"People drive through Carmarthenshire to get to Pembrokeshire, but that's about to change," he said.

"We're going for the family market and it will be rides to suit families rather than the mega thrill rides, something like Drayton Manor.

"Though we wouldn't be trying to compete with them, the site would be twice the size of Oakwood."

The plan is for 26 rides across the site, which will become the Gateway Resort from Easter.

One of them will traverse the lake within the site and will be licensed as the only one of its kind in Britain.

Vekoma Ride Manufacturing, one of the largest roller coaster builders in the world, have been lined up to design and install the ride.

Mr Strelley says some of the planning applications will be for full permission and some for outline as the site is developed.

The exact theme for the park is still being decided upon.

"We have looked at the demographic for the area and a lead theme park designer so we know this will work," added Mr Strelley.

"There will be a large indoor barn full of rides and a 4D virtual reality simulator, of which there is only one other in the world, in Canada.

"It can be used for all kinds of things such as simulating a balloon ride over Niagra Falls.

"We are looking at this as a two year project and when it is complete it will provide as many jobs as in Trostre Steel works.

"I'd like to thank the planning department and Huw Parsons in regeneration and tourism for their support and advice in developing this project."

Carmarthenshire Council Leader Emlyn Dole said: "These are exciting plans which could generate more jobs and prosperity for Llanelli and Carmarthenshire.

"Tourism is a booming business here and the location is right to attract people from all different parts of Wales and beyond.

"It's good to see a local business expanding and I look forward to seeing the development progress."

Read more: http://www.llanellistar.co.uk/Plan-bring-jobs-Trostre-works/story-28408325-detail/story.html#ixzz3v9xBCQp1 

While I think this is unlikely I think Oakwood having a contender would be a good thing to make them push forward as a theme park to strive to make the place better then the state it is in now ...

Although the fact they have drafted in vekoma to do all the coasters is a little worrying especially when one of the models on the early map looks suspiciously like an SLC...

Also they have labled 2 ride one called stinger and one called flying welshman which means if they are all vekoma then we have 2 vekoma flying coasters in one park...

11685846.jpg

Mixed thoughts on this.  Having all the coasters done by the same manufacturer is a little odd, and whilst opening a new theme park is a nice idea, would it actually come to fruition?

A new theme park in Wales would be fantastic though and I'm sure it would be popular, it could give Oakwood a much-needed kick into action as well which would be no bad thing as they seem to have come to a halt in terms of developments.

• 5 weeks later...

Except Hartenhof essentially has happened. ;)

To a large extent it is (bar the name change), but there was speculation for many years that it wouldn't and it seems to be the case here too.

Regardless of the Hartenhoff thing, I'm unsure of this happening.

Maybe this new theme park opening nearby to Oakwood will finally wake to park from its sleep.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Not one to be late to the party Oakwood have been doing a 10 days of improvement type tlc post on facebook and instagram.

Here are the first 3 days.

Day 1

10 days of improvement at #oakwoodthemeparkClearing the weeds from the boating lake ready for our #pedalboats  #parkproud #themepark#wales #pembrokeshire #10daysofimprovement

1930451_10154015723849776_42795624186086

Day 2

936052_10154018670584776_569495375041092

Day 3

10255729_10154023022459776_1293130459851

Well its not Alton Towers TLC, but it is something for once.

Good to see Oakwood making some improvements to the appearance of the park, it definitely needed doing.

They also posted a picture of this year's park map which shows Megafobia with a gold train;

25214385463_429dec6636.jpg

Still no news on "Sleepy Hollow" though so I can only assume that it's not happening again this year?

Oakwood's social media team are so unoriginal.  Literally any time they see other parks doing a social media campaign that they think is working, they pretty much try and copy them (they posted memes around the same time Thorpe did, this TLC stuff and there's more which escapes the mind at the moment).

I know they're a small park and all, but even a bit of work can go a long way...

Oakwood's social media team are so unoriginal.  Literally any time they see other parks doing a social media campaign that they think is working, they pretty much try and copy them (they posted memes around the same time Thorpe did, this TLC stuff and there's more which escapes the mind at the moment).

I know they're a small park and all, but even a bit of work can go a long way...

In fairness they may have got the idea of sharing the TLC from Alton but I expect that the decision to make improvements to their rides would have been made way before Towers Loving Care.

They've also been sharing old photos of rides and some (very easy) guess the coaster track style questions.

I don't have many complaints about Oakwood's social media pages, at least they're posting something which is more than can be said for some parks!

Good to see Oakwood making some improvements to the appearance of the park, it definitely needed doing.

They also posted a picture of this year's park map which shows Megafobia with a gold train;

25214385463_429dec6636.jpg

Still no news on "Sleepy Hollow" though so I can only assume that it's not happening again this year?

Tbf I think they have given up on the sleepy hollow thing, I think that's the best thing as well as they are just digging a grave by still trying to advertise it.