Chessington General Discussion

Ash

I can't actually believe how awful that looks. Never really realised just how close the Tomb Blaster building was behind it - or what those rocks covered up.

What I can't believe even more, is that those in charge of the park have SO little pride in it that they're happy to leave the ride looking like that just to save the money it would cost to replace them. It is a sad indication of how shoddy the UK park industry is that this kind of thing happens - to put it short, those in charge of these parks literally don't care about them beyond their money-making capability.

You could name every top manager from the last 25 years who have allowed the theming to get in such poor state that the only option is to tear it down.

Chessington to me is no longer able to call itself a theme park. From riding jcbs through vampire in 2001, turning bubble works into the worst retheme of any quality and now tearing down theming that lifts falls and runaway above bog standard rides. We could argue for ages about this being an order from on high and whatever but the fact is that wont being back the theming that was created 26 years ago that made Chessington different

Chessington, you are idiots.

You could name every top manager from the last 25 years who have allowed the theming to get in such poor state that the only option is to tear it down.

Or they could always have replaced the theming, like this:

282030_10150254377808398_1409668_n.jpg

(Above got too old and was falling apart so they replaced it):

526679_4043294487385_484659626_n.jpg

Now surely if Pleasure Beach can replace their theming on such a scale then the multi million pound company that is Merlin can...

Not good. Dragon falls looks dire and will never be the same again. (Unless they replace the theming!!)

If anybody who's been to the ride bothered to read the signage there, you would be aware that the current state of the ride and the high fencing around the drop is a temporary measure- the scale of this work and its' close proximity to the ride itself means it would be impossible to work on the theming with the ride operational. The ride will operate in the current state until the closed season when the work will be finished properly.

That's all very well but it's a whole year operating in that state. Going by the Disney theory of total immersion - its not really good enough to say 'oh we'll get it done soon', the minute those rocks are taken down you're not in mystic east, you're in a utilities warehouse.

There's no reason the ride couldn't have had some major work over the close season - it could have even closed early last year (since water rides are less popular at the tail end of a season) and been back looking brand new for the start of the season.

Also, they never replaced the last bit of theming they had to tear down (the rocks on the lift hill) so its not like this is without precedent.

If anybody who's been to the ride bothered to read the signage there, you would be aware that the current state of the ride and the high fencing around the drop is a temporary measure- the scale of this work and its' close proximity to the ride itself means it would be impossible to work on the theming with the ride operational. The ride will operate in the current state until the closed season when the work will be finished properly.

So it's only gone for this year and will be back next year? Let's hope so. Jeez, they whipped the Angkor Wat faces off quick, surely it can't take them a year to put them back, unless new ones are being fabricated?

I'll forever go on about the rocks by the lift hill and Buddha not coming back, but I think people forget the Golden Donuts stand that was in that corner before Pan For Gold was there. The size of that compared to it's predecessor is huge.

There is no reason as to why the lift hill rocks cannot return... Indeed, why not have the Gold Panning/Donuts INSIDE the rocks as a cave?

So have to deal with a year (at minimum) of the rides looking like crap and pray/beg/hope that they don't cancel the return...

So it's only gone for this year and will be back next year? Let's hope so.

If the Buddha rocks going were the best thing to ever happen to the ride surely you think it is approaching perfection now?!

---

If this is temporary I'll be pleased, if what has gone is replaced to the same quality I'll be amazed, if I'm told this is part of some planned £2m improvement scheme and not that it had been neglected into becoming dangerous to operate I won't believe it.

If the Buddha rocks going were the best thing to ever happen to the ride surely you think it is approaching perfection now?!

---

If this is temporary I'll be pleased, if what has gone is replaced to the same quality I'll be amazed, if I'm told this is part of some planned £2m improvement scheme and not that it had been neglected into becoming dangerous to operate I won't believe it.

Well, I was pleased to see the Buddha rocks go. But no, removing the Angkor Wat faces for good is a step too far. Take too much away and it's not very mystic nor east.

Sounds to me like you're doubting their investment, and you think it's all safe?

I visited Chessington yesterday, Falls looked so depressing in its new state. I hope it was just the weather and the lack of open rides but the whole park had genuinely lost the sense of excitement it once had. I once regarded it as one of my favourite themed parks but everything looks a bit ... depressing. I also just noticed on the site that Dragon falls seems to have gained a sponsor in 'Juicy Drop Pop'. Please correct me if this has been the case for a while!? - http://www.chessington.com/explore/mystic-east/dragon-falls-water-ride.aspx

I also just noticed on the site that Dragon falls seems to have gained a sponsor in 'Juicy Drop Pop'. Please correct me if this has been the case for a while!? - http://www.chessington.com/explore/mystic-east/dragon-falls-water-ride.aspx

Been sponsored by them for... 2/3 years I think? It came with the revamp of the logo/signage/new bins...

Not the worst ride sponsorship we've seen in the UK...

Been sponsored by them for... 2/3 years I think? It came with the revamp of the logo/signage/new bins...

Not the worst ride sponsorship we've seen in the UK...

Ah, shows how long it has been since I visited. For a minute I was expecting the heads to be replaced with huge Push pops either side of the drop..

• Mattgwise changed the title to Chessington General Discussion