Chessington General Discussion

Ash

Oh Dear Chessington Are selling February half-term Fastrack £5 For two rides with a choice of sea storm Bubble works or scorpion express. This Is Really Stupid Fastrack should not be needed during this Event. :(

Chessington selling fast rack for an off peak event?

How I potentially feel about this

Not surprised by it considering there will also be VIP pass holders using unlimited fastrack.

I think this is the problem. Because of the VIP pass holders who many demand Fastrack all the time (I've seen it at Summer Nights, most annoying thing ever I mean surely it's in the terms that it won't be available at certain events like Summer Nights or February half term when it shouldn't be a thing?)

I understand that VIP holders have paid a huge sum for their pass, but these events shouldn't be busy enough for Fastrack to be needed even by VIP passes. I know Thorpe are making it clear that capacity is being limited (time will tell I guess) so I would hope that their will be NO Fastrack there, even if you have a VIP pass. Just an opinion. 

I think this is the problem. Because of the VIP pass holders who many demand Fastrack all the time (I've seen it at Summer Nights, most annoying thing ever I mean surely it's in the terms that it won't be available at certain events like Summer Nights or February half term when it shouldn't be a thing?)

I understand that VIP holders have paid a huge sum for their pass, but these events shouldn't be busy enough for Fastrack to be needed even by VIP passes. I know Thorpe are making it clear that capacity is being limited (time will tell I guess) so I would hope that their will be NO Fastrack there, even if you have a VIP pass. Just an opinion.

I am a VIP pass holder, and obviously adding fastrack at half term is just another money making method. The terms state we get unlimited fastrack every visit excluding Christmas events. Even we were surprised at Summer Nights but on the times we went our VIP hosts were making it clear the perks were still active for the evening (even though it was walk on) Things have changed since October though as all pass holders got booklet telling them where to queue etc.

Keeping the post on topic, I can't see the need for fastrack for half term but if they can make money then they will.

£5 for two minor rides seems pretty expensive considering it won't actually be that busy during the half term period.

I believe last year it wasn't that busy, however in 2012 the event really did prove quite popular. I remember visiting to be greeted with 60minute queues for buccaneer and bubbleworks, which was really quite extraordinary as I've never seen them that long before. I completely understand the decision to add fastrack, my guess is there will be demand for it and therefore they will sell it. I reckon it could yet again be fairly busy this year during half term and I expect there will be at least 30minute queues on the rides open due to low throughputs and high volumes.

It's an unfortunate move for the park to take as fastrack lowers throughput dramatically however I completely respect it from a business point of view. I would imagine thorpe will follow suit with their half term event and sell fastrack on the day if not advertising it online before hand.

Of course there will be demand for it, we have people who will buy the Ultimate Fastrack packages even though the queues are 20 minutes long max... The scheme prints money...

But, will it leave a bad taste in the mouth of other guests? More than likely...

If Thorpe also sell the Fastrack then I'd expect a wave of negativity to wash over them, what with their history of over-selling...

The fact that Seastorm has a Fastrack queue sickens me anyway, similarly for Truckers and Jumbos...

That's gotta be some very necessary work, BubbleWorks is one of the main draws for of these zoo events. (in doors/family friendly/sheltered queue/etc)

Gotta pay those H&Se fines somehow I guess.

There needs to be some sort of organised revolt against fastrack at some point, beyond the geek community. It's a truly destructive force.

I agree. 
Wait, we're the geeks right? 

I've heard from several sources that it has been absolutely packed, especially the last couple of days when the sun has been shining.

According to these sources, queues for scorpion express and tomb blaster have reached 70mins at points, with seastorm reaching 30mins and the carousel and hocus pocus reaching 20minutes.

As for the zoo and sea life, apparently the zoo has been crammed and it has been hard to get around and look at the various animals. The sea-life centre has also had up to 90minute queues to get in at points.

I haven't visited, just heard from other people. Will try and pop down Sunday if I get the chance though and will report back.

(Also heard fastrack ISN'T in operation, obviously they realised their original mistakes...)

Reviews haven't been at all bad either. With the only real issue being Bubbleworks' closure.

And extending by an hour and a half?! They don't do that in the main season! Well done to them!

Do they not now then?! Was common practice during my time working there.

Doesn't surprise me though that its busy, Chessington has a relatively loyal (Annual Pass) fanbase. 

I've personally had opening hours extended from 5 till 5:30 on a fully-operational day when it was busier than expected and remember leaving the park around 7:00 due to sneaking in to the vampire queue just before 5:30 and being subjected to over an hours wait.

I've never seen the opening hours extended by an hour and half though, I recall maybe seeing them extending by an hour before however that may just be my imagination. As far as I'm aware, this is the first time they have extended their hours by over an hour.

Doesn't surprise me though that its busy, Chessington has a relatively loyal (Annual Pass) fanbase. 

Would be interesting to see the percentage of AP holders visiting the park during half term, and compare it to the other Merlin parks (especially Thorpe, given that reports suggest the majority of people have been AP holders and that's one conjecture for the AP charge..).

Also interesting about the lack of stick Chessington have got ride reliability for half term.  Seastorm down for a few days, Tomb Blaster down all of today apparently and incredibly long queues in general to top that off.  Whilst rides aren't the main point of the event, it's still not good to see the line up being affected quite so badly.

I went on Monday and it was very busy then.  Got there for 10am (opening time) and there were queues of people waiting to buy (or collect) tickets from the kiosks so they weren't all MP holders.

Got on to Scorpion Express almost immediately for the first 30 minutes or so, but the queue gradually grew and by early afternoon it was long.  It didn't help that Tomb Blaster had broken down and Sea Storm was also not operating.

The park was very busy by then, with loads of kids climbing around the Amazu thing.  The kids made masks and necklaces in the Mexicana Café though, and enjoyed doing them.   I noticed quite a few families heading towards Bubbleworks and being disappointed to see it was closed.

I was pleased though, as it never really gets the chance for a winter break and a bit of TLC (excluding the clean up after the fire) so I am hoping we may be pleasantly surprised when the park fully opens next month.

All-in-all, the day was a 6/10.

Pleasantly quiet today max queues of 20 mins on both Scorpian and Tomb and around 5 mins max for Hocus and Sea Life, no break downs and lots of roaming/meet and great characters!

Easily kept myself occupied from 10 til 3 with both the zoo and attractions so I must say I really preferred African Adventures compared to Brainiac Live!

For me the park was busy today, a February day of queuing 20 minutes for Tomb Blaster or Scorpion Express is not my idea of quiet especially the rush to Scorpion as it opened late.

As a massive supporter of Chessington usually Tomb Blaster is in a right state, 3 of our 5 guns didn't work with targets still not on/working, Clearly nothing is happening to Dragon Falls. A lot of the South car park is now blocked off for hotel gusts meaning the North Car Park is open, not ideal although does mean you can have a look at Dragon's Fury, which is still in pieces.

Whilst Scorpion Express did look good with some extra additions as to the new Penguin area, I worry what they will fill the Rameses entrance area with as that was a nice bit of theme along with getting Tomb Blaster some much needed attention along with other parts. There is a picture gallery on the Facebook page below for those wanting to see.

As a massive supporter of Chessington usually Tomb Blaster is in a right state, 3 of our 5 guns didn't work with targets still not on/working, Clearly nothing is happening to Dragon Falls. A lot of the South car park is now blocked off for hotel gusts meaning the North Car Park is open, not ideal although does mean you can have a look at Dragon's Fury, which is still in pieces.

All of this does take time. You never know if (say) Falls' revamp is still on the cards or if they really ARE trying hard to fix Tomb, but it just keeps going pear-shaped mainly due to it being an old ride system.

• Mattgwise changed the title to Chessington General Discussion