Chessington General Discussion

Ash

Late openings for our parks never seem to work out. There's a reason why our parks are always open by 10. I bet it's down to a (for lack of a better word) cultural thing; when it comes to days out, people like to arrive early so they can leave early and gave the evening to do other things / get the kids off to bed / whatever.

From that perspective, 10-4 is better than 11-5. Of course, 10-5 is better still, but this must surely be a knock on effect from Smiler's incident in order to minimise loss.

I disagree - who wants to get up really early to then be chucked out in mid-afternoon?

Also, I'm sure that more people would spend money on food etc. with an 11am - 5pm opening time as it covers lunch time more, whereas on a 4pm close people would probably wait until the park closes for food or take their own.

The point I'm making is people won't be "chucked out", they'll choose to leave earlier. It is something you surely notice anyway - the final hour of the park being open is noticeably quieter.

With food, people are more likely to buy lunch on a 10-4 day in my opinion. People will have been on park longer and well be more hungry, especially if they opt to eat at around 12-1pm.

Either way, I do think 10-4 openings would be better to the park than a 5pm close.

7 Rides currently down - the usual 3 plus Peeking Heights, Canopy Capers (!), Black Buccaneer and AMAZU Tree Top Adventure - but perhaps the weather isn't helping today, granted.

Park sounds busy though: Bubbleworks 75, Dragon's Fury 60, Vampire 45

Just looked at Alton's times - everything 0 minutes, except Sonic at 5 and Mr Bloom at 20? Wow.

Mr Bloom's 'queue' is always at minimum 10 minutes though don't forget, due to the length of the show...

Peeking and Bucanneer both slip in heavy rain, assuming it's as bad as centre of London today... Capers and Amazu will be due to slippery conditions and not wanting children to fall over...

Slightly more valid reasonings than say for water rides...

Tomb Blaster & Rattlesnake's reliability seemed to have gone down the pan lately and need to be sorted. Pity they couldn't hold off the new ride and instead update Tomb Blaster as that ride really struggles now.

Skyway doesn't surprise me one bit as it hasn't worked well for the best part of 10 years and just needs a rebuild. 90 minutes now for Bubbleworks and that seems quite extreme, however 45 for vampire & Fury makes the queue length sound debatable.

Safe to say Paultons appear to be overtaking Chessie now.

At the End of the day about opening times 4pm closings are perfectly reasonable for Chessington in September and Certainly October Tuesday-Thursday On days I've visited in those periods You can literally Walk up the hill by dragon's fury without seeing anyone and stay on the fury for about 3 goes!  Hardly surprising that this has been done! in the long run If these closures mean the maintaining of 8pm closures for October half-term then everyone can shut up moaning To be honest. Thorpe have also got a couple of 4pm closures on October weekdays don't see anyone moaning about them.

90 minutes now for Bubbleworks and that seems quite extreme.

Bubbleworks has ridiculous queues because it is currently operating at reduced capacity only filling every other boat due to low water levels.

I queued for 45 mins with my little cousin when it was about a third of the outside queue line area. Fastrack and exit pass queue was massive too which didn't help.

Crazy!

I don't hate Chessie like some here, but some of the queues at that place are rediculous. Saw a 45 minute queue for Tiny Truckers yesterday. Seriously, who walks up to that ride with a 3 year old and thinks "yep, that's a reasonable queue line"??

It does show how hard Towers have been hit. I did 3 days there last week while on holiday and quite literally walked straight on to a seat on Nemesis, one train wait for Oblivion and a 15 minute wait for Air. Kind of nice but also quite sad in a way.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

But With 4 people In a tub these boats were properly balanced With 3 or 1 the boats will be slanted as they travel around Surely only being allowed 3 in a tub is more unsafe.

Not really if you think about it, as the boat is shaped like a circle rather than a quadrilateral. So if three adults sat in a triangle formation or something similar, the weight should be evenly distributed. 

• Mattgwise changed the title to Chessington General Discussion