Chessington General Discussion

Ash

I'd be interested to know the actual reason behind it. The ride is 30 years old next year. They had to cut some of the track away refurbing Black Buccaneer a few years ago and then weld it back together again. Although the trains….. less said the better perhaps. Either way, it would be a shame for the park not to have a monorail of some kind and it could be a great addition if it was extended!

Mack Rides still produce monorails (trains on their website look pretty much the same design) so surely a new fleet of trains and new control system wouldn't be outrageously expensive? Of course there is the issue that the zoo is laid out differently to when the ride opened but hey who doesn't like looking at warehouse roofs and expanses of grass?

Am I the only one who's noticed the severe lack of working cash machines at Chessie recently? This was quite a while ago but on a particularly bad day that I didn't bother to blog we simply wanted some chocolate coated strawberries, however they only accepted cash, so we went to get a Vampire waffle until they told us that they only accept cash, and tipped our vessels they had just refilled down the sink. So we tried to find a cash machine, and the one in Market Square didn't work, nor Wild Asia, nor Transylvania. Eventually we had to walk all the way across the park from Wild Asia to the hotels to get to a cash machine (my mum had a bad foot too), at which point we entered the wrong hotel before finally finding one. To be fair, this is just another issue to add to the long list along with old and poorly looked after theming, rides needing refurbishment and, of course, Safari Skyway.

Has it happened to you more than once? If it was just on the one occasion, might it be possible that all the ones on park were down due to an external fault, and the one in the hotel was on a different system? (I assume the hotel one doesn't charge, whereas the on park ones do, which could be a cause for the problem).

So four rides closed today at the resort [2 major with one of those being Tombs].

Really want to know what's happened to Tombs as it just seems like it's just died towards the end of summer, never to reopen [unless there's something new happening we don't know about].

Chessington have put new opening times in place, the park now opens at 4pm?

No idea what that's about. The park is open until 4pm on weekdays  and 5pm on weekends and then 8pm on Howl' O Ween Dates.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Lots of midweek closures next year at Chessington; 19th-20th and 26th April, 10th-11th and 17th-18th May, 13th-14th, 20th-21st and 27th-28th September and 4th-5th and 11th-12th October.

I can't comment on this as I don't know how quiet the park is on those dates usually, but that does seem like quite a lot of closed days.

It was only a few years ago that Chessington was only open for Zoo Days on off peak weekdays I believe.  Given the current situation, it's not surprising they're closing the park a few days here and there.  

The park is usually dead on these days, which is why they had staggered openings on certain areas, because at times, there would essentially be no one in them.

Lots of midweek closures next year at Chessington; 19th-20th and 26th April, 10th-11th and 17th-18th May, 13th-14th, 20th-21st and 27th-28th September and 4th-5th and 11th-12th October.

I can't comment on this as I don't know how quiet the park is on those dates usually, but that does seem like quite a lot of closed days.

500 guests max normally on these days. Lucky to see a guest at Fury till about 11 sometimes. I was always amazed they started opening during weekdays in September and October because even at weekends, the park struggles to get the guests in.

• Mattgwise changed the title to Chessington General Discussion