Chessington General Discussion

Ash

17 minutes ago, Glitch said:

Operationally though, wouldn't this create an issue in itself. I thought you were only allowed 1 RAP group per train due to evacuation procedure etc. Doesn't this mean they will all just get merged at the merger point of the queue and no longer seen by station staff as a RAP guest.

Vampire allocates 4 rows for RAP alone. A significant amount were being let on monkey swinger too. Don't know about others TBH. 

3 minutes ago, Theme Park Fanatic said:

@Matt Creek I cannot believe that Forbidden Tomb has returned!! I am delighted in fact ecstatic.I told you all to believe me and that Abdab would resurrect. From now on can you ALL take my word. Roll on the 17th of May when hopefully someone will vlog from inside Forbidden Tomb and we’ll see Abdab again.

Professor Burps Bubbleworks is also due to open in time for the summer months you will be glad to know.

Then next year Hocus Pocus Hall will return along with Beanoland

2 minutes ago, Coaster said:

I have to be honest, that looks like absolute hell on earth to visit and not fun for anyone.  Genuinely, I think that one fast moving queue-line with RAP access for wheelchair users only would provide a better experience for everyone; both those who would have otherwise been using RAP, and guests in the main queue.

Ah the nineties and early 00s, how I miss you more and more! Agreed. Maybe the most extreme of other cases could be part of it, but majority of RAP cases are not 'cannot queue cases'. 

38 minutes ago, Mattgwise said:

Ah the nineties and early 00s, how I miss you more and more! Agreed. Maybe the most extreme of other cases could be part of it, but majority of RAP cases are not 'cannot queue cases'. 

See that is the thing, back in the day it would of been a case of parents taking you in queue lines to learn skills such as patience, you want to go on that ride, well you are going to have to wait patiently for 30 mins.

Nowadays diagnosis is much more common and perhaps that's just the way we are going as a society. 

4 minutes ago, Glitch said:

See that is the thing, back in the day it would of been a case of parents taking you in queue lines to learn skills such as patience, you want to go on that ride, well you are going to have to wait patiently for 30 mins.

Nowadays diagnosis is much more common and perhaps that's just the way we are going as a society. 

It's great I think if more people are being diagnosed correctly, however, I feel that the current RAP queueing situation is worse for everyone.  One fast moving queue would surely be better for those whom currently use RAP, as well as guests using the main queues.

The park looks better, in a 'better than nothing' sort of way, some parts of Mexicana and Blue Barnacle look great refreshed but other parts so cheap and tacky. Why the heck they bought all those naff cheap pirates and cowboy props you see in game arcades and small tacky seafronts??

3 hours ago, Coaster said:

I have to be honest, that looks like absolute hell on earth to visit and not fun for anyone.  Genuinely, I think that one fast moving queue-line with RAP access for wheelchair users only would provide a better experience for everyone; both those who would have otherwise been using RAP, and guests in the main queue.

That's not very fair on those who are disabled but don't necessarily require a wheelchair. You cannot force all disabled guests under one thing because it's essentially discrimination and removing independence (a very important factor for many who suffer from disabilities).

In the same vein that's why I'm unsure if a Blue Badge requirement at minimum would be problematic in that not everyone who qualifies for RAP can qualify for a Blue Badge or PIP. Disability stuff is hellish to get through these days.

As I say it appears to not be under anywhere near the level of abuse at other UK parks that we've used the RAP equivalent at. Merlin parks need to start by ensuring the system is being used correctly and telling anyone who argues this where to go.

34 minutes ago, Benin said:

That's not very fair on those who are disabled but don't necessarily require a wheelchair. You cannot force all disabled guests under one thing because it's essentially discrimination and removing independence (a very important factor for many who suffer from disabilities).

In the same vein that's why I'm unsure if a Blue Badge requirement at minimum would be problematic in that not everyone who qualifies for RAP can qualify for a Blue Badge or PIP. Disability stuff is hellish to get through these days.

As I say it appears to not be under anywhere near the level of abuse at other UK parks that we've used the RAP equivalent at. Merlin parks need to start by ensuring the system is being used correctly and telling anyone who argues this where to go.

I'd suggest promising them RAP access and them then having to wait an hour on a crowded path not even designed for queueing is more unfair, in all honesty.

2 minutes ago, Coaster said:

I'd suggest promising them RAP access and them then having to wait an hour on a crowded path not even designed for queueing is more unfair, in all honesty.

I get the point you're trying to make, but the way your posts read here is that because the park are failing to deliver a suitable accessible system, it should be removed for non-wheelchair users who do need it.

Which...isn't right.

If I recall they already state that RAP does not mean instant access anyway.

But restricting it to wheelchair users only like you suggested is a fair more discriminatory system that the current one. Especially when there are immediate steps the parks can take to attempt to resolve some of the issues.

Reducing RAP to only wheelchair users would eliminate most RAP queues altogether, the system is already not that inclusive: if you are unable to walk or stand then you are considered a 'non-ambulant' user which severely restricts the rides you can go on (no rollercoasters or dark rides, only outdoor flat rides). I'm not sure what other parks do around the world but I'm sure they're more inclusive than this, although Chessington isn't helped by the age of many of their rides.

21 minutes ago, EpicSmatty said:

Reducing RAP to only wheelchair users would eliminate most RAP queues altogether, the system is already not that inclusive: if you are unable to walk or stand then you are considered a 'non-ambulant' user which severely restricts the rides you can go on (no rollercoasters or dark rides, only outdoor flat rides). I'm not sure what other parks do around the world but I'm sure they're more inclusive than this, although Chessington isn't helped by the age of many of their rides.

I'm not all that familiar with the rules, but I believe much of it is set by the manufacturers rather than the parks. The reason that anyone who is non-ambulant would not be allowed on a coaster, for example, is in case of an evacuation. The park is responsible for getting everyone off safely, and that is extremely difficult to do with someone who is unable to walk. Manufacturers are the ones responsible for designing the rides and for thinking of these things, and if they design it so that 'anyone who cannot walk must be evacuated by another person', then few parks are going to take on that risk.

I've always been under the impression that European parks are usually less inclusive than us when it comes to certain disabilities. But that could be something I've gotten confused about over time, as I've not got first hand experience of it.

5 hours ago, Glitch said:

Be careful if going on Tiger rock anytime soon. Apparently its boat mating season.

I know it’s not funny what happened and I’m guessing the people in the boats would have been miffed at the very least but your wording here is just brilliant 🙌🙌

On 4/16/2021 at 4:54 PM, JoshC. said:

I get the point you're trying to make, but the way your posts read here is that because the park are failing to deliver a suitable accessible system, it should be removed for non-wheelchair users who do need it.

Which...isn't right.

If they are able to find a suitable alternative which enables those who need it to have access but without situations such as 1 hour RAP queues like in those photos - that would of course be the best solution.

However - is that possible?

6 hours ago, Coaster said:

If they are able to find a suitable alternative which enables those who need it to have access but without situations such as 1 hour RAP queues like in those photos - that would of course be the best solution.

However - is that possible?

Seems to work fine at every other park that have an equivalent system (which is most parks due to legality).

Hell most don't even have a time card and are far more open for abuse but aren't. Probably because the UK is full of entitled idiots (and that's just the MAP holders!).