Chessington General Discussion

Ash

Hi it appears there is a chance that Pirates Cove is being refurbished this closed season. A new ride is even mentioned. I think that the recently closed Rocky Express from Thorpe,could be rethemed and relocated. Even know Rocky Rocky Express is technically older than Seastorm mechanically it’s newer. All of the electrical and mechanical components were replaced last closed season,during a major overhaul. Last  year I was told that Seastorm and Scorpion Express would be leaving Chessington. I’ll link my source below 

Food for thought? https://chessingtonbuzz.com/news/pirates-cove-refurb-for-2022

Way too hard to speculate any of this right now. 

Chessington have a substantial development scheduled for the following year so 22 is likely a lower investment year. That isn’t to say they won’t get anything though. 

It would be a rather strange and maybe irrational decision we’re they to re-use/cannibalise Rocky for Sea Storm. It’s still a popular support ride, so hopefully they can repair this. 

Have not heard anything anywhere about Scorpion going, especially being such a key ride to the park still. Although it was SBNO in 2013, which was perhaps their worst year.

36 minutes ago, Mattgwise said:

The rumours don't stand. They've never been rumours. Nick worked on audio changes to create a sort of narrative to Tomb Blaster. Nothing was ever mentioned about it changing back to it's old form. People were joking with you as they thought it funny that you believed it was coming back. 

In March when Forbidden Tomb returns everyone will be apologising to me.

Considering Tomb Blaster has just had a bit of an overhaul, another retheme so soon seems extremely unlikely, although it would be cool.

Also Scorpion Express has only just (all be it 7 years ago now) had a major refurb, so surely that’s not going anywhere anytime soon?

That would be a major attraction to lose at a moments notice.

It’s impossible for anyone to say really one way or another about any of this, but I think the pirates cove rumour seem the most legit.

I wonder if Sea Storm will simply be replaced by Rocky, or if they will add Rocky alongside it (a bit like how squid surfer is 2 rides as one) to increase capacity perhaps?

1 hour ago, Inferno said:

Considering Tomb Blaster has just had a bit of an overhaul, another retheme so soon seems extremely unlikely, although it would be cool.

Also Scorpion Express has only just (all be it 7 years ago now) had a major refurb, so surely that’s not going anywhere anytime soon?

That would be a major attraction to lose at a moments notice.

It’s impossible for anyone to say really one way or another about any of this, but I think the pirates cove rumour seem the most legit.

I wonder if Sea Storm will simply be replaced by Rocky, or if they will add Rocky alongside it (a bit like how squid surfer is 2 rides as one) to increase capacity perhaps?

I believe that Rocky will end up at Chessington. Chessington could easily retheme it to Sailors or Pirates. @Inferno which location in Pirates Cove can you envisage Rocky Express being?

Chessington is (meant to be) seeing a £60m worth of investment over a 5 year period. When exactly that started I'm not sure, but obviously Project Amazon represents a good chunk of that. I believe there's also talks of more accommodation coming, which could also be included in that.

In any case, the investments such as Croc Drop, Rainforest, etc were all rather cheap.

As for these other rumours...

-I would not be surprised to see Pirates' Cove receive some attention this year. It's an area which is largely forgotten about by the park, and come 2023, will be adjacent to a brand new, very popular land.

-I guess it's possible that the park could get some (cheap) new rides in the area...but presumably we'd have seen some sort of planning application now? Unless they're temporary things...

-I see no rhyme or reason to remove Scorpion Express, and would be surprised if that happens any time soon.

As for Rocky Express, I don't see why the park would get it. As it stands, it's still not in any way confirmed that it's leaving Thorpe of course. It seems very likely based on the rumours, but I've heard it's still not 100% confirmed...

As for Tomb Blaster changing back to Forbidden Tomb / Terror Tomb or whatever. I don't see it happening. I'll gladly eat my hat if it does.

BUT, let's say the park do go about doing stuff to it and change it to an older name. Will the ride be any good? Probably not. The "refurb" from whenever it was (2020?) was dire. The new audio and story is appalling.

If they were to scrap the guns and bring it back as Forbidden Tomb, there is in my opinion no reason to believe that the park could do anything with it to actually make it in any way a decent ride experience.

Again, very happy to be proven wrong, but with the state they "refurbed" it to, there is no reason to believe that any future work will lead to any worthwhile improvements.

On 11/17/2021 at 5:03 PM, Theme Park Fanatic said:

Hi it appears there is a chance that Pirates Cove is being refurbished this closed season. A new ride is even mentioned. I think that the recently closed Rocky Express from Thorpe,could be rethemed and relocated. Even know Rocky Rocky Express is technically older than Seastorm mechanically it’s newer. All of the electrical and mechanical components were replaced last closed season,during a major overhaul. Last  year I was told that Seastorm and Scorpion Express would be leaving Chessington. I’ll link my source below 

Food for thought? https://chessingtonbuzz.com/news/pirates-cove-refurb-for-2022

Your 'source' even says "this is just speculation".

-Gruffalo is staying

-Scorpion Express is staying

-Tomb Blaster is staying

Genuine question: How was Tomb Blaster previously blocked off during Winter? Was it just a bin in front of the entrance or something similar? 

Whilst it's different, this is not evidence that Forbidden Tomb / Terror Tomb / 5th Dimension is returning. And my earlier point still stands, if one of those names is re-introduced, I see no reason to expect any resulting ride experience changes to be any good.

• 4 months later...

Who else is exited about Pirates Cove’s transformation into Shipwreck Coast?   

https://chessingtonbuzz.com/projects/project-anchor/shipwreck-coast-is-full-steam-ahead/

With the relocation of Sea Storm’s que,hopefully a themed entrance can be built leading into Shipwreck Coast. The placing of Sea Storm half in Market Square/Adventure Point always seemed ludicrous to me. I wonder if the Sweet Shop in between Adventure Point and Pirates Cove, will in Shipwreck Coast following this refurbishment? It’s positive to hear that Timber Tug Boat has had an extensive scenic refurbishment,as the ride looked hideous in Old Town. I cannot wait to see Shipwreck Coast.

Chessington Buzz have posted that Shipwreck Coast (refurbished Pirates Cove) will house Goats. Am I the only person who doesn’t understand how Goats are related to Pirates,Fishermen or the navy. Apparently the overall Theme will be a Sea Side town. I live in Plymouth Britain’s Ocean City (A Sea Side Town)and never see Goats roaming the streets. Furthermore I cannot think of a location within the current Pirates Cove which could house Goats. The only proper building is an Amusement Arcade. According to the planning application the Arcade will remain. I’m overjoyed to hear that Timber Tug Boat is away being overhauled,before it’s return to the Seas as Trawler Trouble. At Thorpe Park Timber Tug Boat was hideous it resembled a travelling Fair ride in a fairly richly themed area. When Thorpe has Amity I don’t understand why Timber Tug was bugged into Canada Creek. A Canadian Themed Area. I think Charlotte from Theme Park Worldwide,will have mixed feelings about Shipwreck Coast,she hates waterides as Bobbing Barrels will be but adores Goats. Charlotte has even created her own melody called Goats Wearing Coats.

This POV has ramped up my Hype for Project Amazon!! I cannot wait for Chessington to get their version of Jumanji. I’m wondering if the Rollercoaster will have a Dark Ride section like Crush’s Coaster at Disneyland Paris. Project Amazon will be the most immersive land at Chessington. I see this video as a tour of Project Amazon. The shop at the end of the Dark Ride looks supreme. I hope Project Amazon contains a Jumanji Shop. I can guarantee Jumanji will be the best use of space and IP Sponsorship that Chessington has EVER had.  

Chessington has wholly improved over the past 6 years. The Dragon Falls retheme to Tiger Rock,Hocus Pocus Hall retheme to Room On The Broom,Bubbleworks retheme to The Gruffalo,Mexicana refresh,(Market Square)Adventure Point refresh, Africa retheme to The Rainforest and new Wild Asia refresh are all vast improvements. I’m visiting Chessington in July for the first time since 2016 and expect Chessington to feel like a different place. The retheme of Pirates Cove to Shipwreck Coast even makes my mouth drool. Before I (hopefully) visit Chessington next year I’m going to buy the Jumanji board game and film so I understand Project Amazon more.

So yesterday I went to Chessington for the first trip of the season. Opinions are mixed and maybe more on the negative side. 

Park was very busy, which was to be expected, however how the park somewhat coped with this is more the problem. 

Ride reliability was poor park-wide with next to every ride either having a major breakdown, opening late or closed all day. Witnessed a breakdown on Falls and got stuck on Gruffalo as it broke down. 

Amazon (Jumangi) Land couldn’t have come at a better time, given most of the park is on its last legs and it seems more of the middle aged stuff too. 

On the plus note, staff were friendly enough and presentation in most areas seemed better. But they really need to focus on improving ride hardware and infrastructure and it feels like the place cannot cope anymore with crowds above moderate.