Chessington General Discussion

Ash

what does DIC stand for?“Even in the DIC years, Flying Fish got a new train”?

Unbelievably Flying Fish is technically older than Scorpion Express. This Thorpe Park classic originally opened as Space Station Zero. This was way before Chessington Zoo became the Chessington we know today. Obviously since the days of Space Station Zero,the ride has seen many changes. The most prominent change being the rides relocation outside,twice. For those who are confused following the closure of Space Station Zero,the ride was relocated to Model World. Colossus now stands in this area.  This relocation is when the original Flying Fish was born. Following many years of being Peoples first Rollercoaster experience,my Elder Cousin Natasha included,the ride closed. At this point back in 2005 the closure was thought to be permanent. Fast forward a couple of years too 2007 and the Flying Fish returned. This was due to popular demand. The ride was relocated to a site adjacent to Amity Beach. However this wasn’t the most major difference. When relocated to Amity the Fish was repainted orange,rather than the former green. Other changes included that Flying Fish didn’t have a Fish shaped fountain in the middle, or ornate gardens. Another subtle change was the renewal of the restraints. 

This aside Scorpion Express is more unreliable than the Flying Fish. Additionally  someone told me in 2019 there were rumours of the rides removal. Please take this with a pinch of salt. I was given this information from a fellow enthusiast,and not a Merlin employee. Apart from the cosmetic transformation from the Runaway Train to Scorpion Express in 2014 the rides seen no changes. This makes me fear for the future of Scorpion Express. If Merlin are intent on keeping a ride they normally give it a complete overhaul. A perfect example is Dragon Falls. Following the closure of this ride and prior to its relaunch as Tiger Rock the ride received a massive mechanical refurbishment.

9 hours ago, Theme Park Fanatic said:

what does DIC stand for?“Even in the DIC years, Flying Fish got a new train”?

Unbelievably Flying Fish is technically older than Scorpion Express. This Thorpe Park classic originally opened as Space Station Zero. This was way before Chessington Zoo became the Chessington we know today. Obviously since the days of Space Station Zero,the ride has seen many changes. The most prominent change being the rides relocation outside,twice. For those who are confused following the closure of Space Station Zero,the ride was relocated to Model World. Colossus now stands in this area.  This relocation is when the original Flying Fish was born. Following many years of being Peoples first Rollercoaster experience,my Elder Cousin Natasha included,the ride closed. At this point back in 2005 the closure was thought to be permanent. Fast forward a couple of years too 2007 and the Flying Fish returned. This was due to popular demand. The ride was relocated to a site adjacent to Amity Beach. However this wasn’t the most major difference. When relocated to Amity the Fish was repainted orange,rather than the former green. Other changes included that Flying Fish didn’t have a Fish shaped fountain in the middle, or ornate gardens. Another subtle change was the renewal of the restraints. 

This aside Scorpion Express is more unreliable than the Flying Fish. Additionally  someone told me in 2019 there were rumours of the rides removal. Please take this with a pinch of salt. I was given this information from a fellow enthusiast,and not a Merlin employee. Apart from the cosmetic transformation from the Runaway Train to Scorpion Express in 2014 the rides seen no changes. This makes me fear for the future of Scorpion Express. If Merlin are intent on keeping a ride they normally give it a complete overhaul. A perfect example is Dragon Falls. Following the closure of this ride and prior to its relaunch as Tiger Rock the ride received a massive mechanical refurbishment.

DIC stands for Dubai International Capital. They owned Tussauds between 2005 and 2007.

I thought they did make changes to Scorpion Express? I could be completely wrong here, but I thought they gave it individual lap bars like Flying Fish has when they refurbished it? I could be misremembering there, though… I haven’t been to Chessington since 2014.

Perhaps Scorpion Express simply didn’t need a technical overhaul?

Dragon Falls was refurbished because it had to have lots of new H&S stuff added post-Smiler, if I’m remembering correctly. I seem to remember hearing that all the Merlin flumes required new H&S stuff being added post-Smiler, and Dragon Falls was the only one to ultimately get it. Logger’s was supposed to get it, but the money for the refurb went towards DBGT’s 2017 rework at the last minute and the efforts to revive it went somewhat awry after that, and The Flume was deemed too old and knackered to be worth doing this to, hence it was removed and replaced with Wicker Man.

I can’t imagine that Scorpion Express as a ride system needed an awful lot doing to it back when the refurb happened. When the Runaway Train closed, it was only 25 years old, and if what I’ve read is correct, it was the decaying theming that was the issue rather than the ride. I can’t imagine it’s been put under a lot of strain compared to something like, say, Nemesis, or even Vampire in the same park, so I’d imagine it’s probably all right ticking over for a fair few more years. Plenty of older powered coasters exist.

@Matt N do you know if the Pirate Log Flume at Legoland Windsor got the H&S overhaul received by Dragon Falls/Tiger Rock at Chessington? It’s sad that out of the 4 original English Merlin  Log Flume’s only 2 remain. I’ve just remembered there are 3 Log Flumes in the English Merlin Theme Parks. The third Log Flume being River Rafts at Chessington.

10 hours ago, Theme Park Fanatic said:

@Matt N do you know if the Pirate Log Flume at Legoland Windsor got the H&S overhaul received by Dragon Falls/Tiger Rock at Chessington? It’s sad that out of the 4 original English Merlin  Log Flume’s only 2 remain. I’ve just remembered there are 3 Log Flumes in the English Merlin Theme Parks. The third Log Flume being River Rafts at Chessington.

I’d assume that one received similar treatment. However, you can’t be too sure seeing as Pirate Falls is a Zamperla (rather than a Mack like the other 3) and also a fair bit newer than the 3 Resort Theme Park log flumes.

@Matt N when I stayed at Chessington for a few days,last month I wanted to ride Tiger Rock. Unfortunately both days Tiger Rock was closed. I was told it was broken and awaiting a part. I’m hoping that next time I’m at Chessington Tiger Rock would have been repaired and opened. I’ve been to Chessington many times but haven’t ridden Tiger. Rock In fact I never rode the ride it when it was Dragon Falls.

Thorpe park brought a completely new train when the fish reopened, along with a completely new ride system, the track was the only part that was re-used. 

It also isn't where Colossus is today, it was where stealth was built. covering the sunken gardens model world and the fish.

It lost all its character and what made the fish good when it was brought back, unlike scorpion express all the track areas were sectioned off and covered in hedges and plants, meaning the layout was largely hidden from site and you wouldn't have known the figure 8 layout existed. The proximity and close calls made it what it was.

scorpion express never got the refurb or new train like the fish did.

@RobF what happened to the original Fish? I hope it was sold not scrapped.

I think if Scorpion Express did return it would be a case of replacing everything. It’s an old and unreliable Rollercoaster. Scorpion Express has been rumoured to be leaving Chessington for about 3 years. Every time Scorpion Express emerges from the Closed Season it’s a bonus. I suspect the fire is the final nail in the coffin for Scorpion Express. I could be wrong.Chessington gave many people a happy surprise in 2002,when The Vampire reopened. This ride much like Scorpion Express was knackered. Vampire was even stated to be leaving. Fast forward 20 years and the ride is not leaving anytime soon. Another reason why Chessington would have a lack of reluctance to close Scourpeon Express is the new Rollercoaster opening in Project Amazon. This would technically mean Chessington have no less Rollercoasters than now. In addition Chessington stated on their long term development plan that the area would be redeveloped. If Chessington used the plot of Scorpion Express,the queline,former queline they could construct a Rapids Ride with a similar footprint to Viking River Splash. If Chessington opted for a bigger ride they could utilise the picnic area on the former Rodeo/Flying Jumbos site. If you don’t know which Picnic area I mean it’s behind Croc Drop. I believe this picnic area is called Ramasis’s Picnic Area in memory of Ramasis Revenge,the Huss Topspin that formally stood where Croc Drop is.

Out of interest, what was the problem with Vampire that meant it needed refurbishment? I’d assume that it hadn’t hit the end of its life or anything given that it was only 10 years old when it shut, so it does seem odd to me that it was revamped so early on in its life.

My Mum’s booked a Chessington holiday for myself,my Younger Sister and her. We’re going for Howl’Oween. This will be the first Merlin event I’ve attended. Well I did go to Chessington for Halloween 2007. I didn’t do many Halloween activities then. I was only 7. Can someone tell me if you have to pay for the Scare Mazes before you arrive? I hope we can pay at Chessington. I’m a MAP (Merlin Annual Pass Holder) but my Mum and Sister aren’t.

• 3 weeks later...

@EmilyLovesVortex I was just about to post the same thing. We must be telepathic.  The likelihood of Scorpion Express returning is remote. Merlin don’t remove rides from websites unless they’re being removed. Scorpion Express has been extremely unreliable and is an ageing ride.Furthermore in 2019 there were rumours that Scorpion Express and Seastorm were both closing. Fortunately Seastorm won’t be going. Due to the ride breaking itself it’s had a major restoration.  It would be a complete waste of money if Chessington repaired Scorpion Express only to remove it soon. and is an unreliable ride. The removal from the Chessington website and App is even more poignant as Duel at Alton Towers is still listed. Duel has been confirmed as closed in its current format. This more or less rules out a retheme of Scorpion Express.  It’s sad if Scorpion Express has taken it’s final passengers. It’s a true Chessington classic and their eldest Rollercoaster. I was only on Scorpion Express on the 1/2nd of July. I remember feeling blessed due to the rides unreliability. Had I known that Scorpion Express would literally leave in a puff of smoke,less than 4 weeks later, I would have appreciated the experience more. The way Scourpeon Express was a tragedy. Fans of the ride will never get to say Choorio to the Rollercoaster. Had fate not intervened Chessington would probably have held a closing down event like Bubbleworks and Ramesis Ravenge had. 

If Scorpion Express has departed I hope Chessington use the plot in Mexicana usefully. I would like a ride like Vicking River Splash at Legoland Windsor to be built. Including the queline,disused queline,ride area and the former Flying Jumbos site behind Croc Drop the footprints about the same. 

I will miss Scorpion Express it was good news for all thrill seekers no matter their age. When working Scorpion Express was also a blast during the Summer. I say this as during my ride in July the animatronic Scorpion didn’t squirt water once.

being removed is heightened,as desperate being closed Duel at Alton Towers is still on the website. Duel is having a refurbishment,whereas I think Scourpeon Express has come to the end of the line. Pun intended. 

4 hours ago, Mark9 said:

Enterprise is still on the Towers website and that's been in pieces all year and Hex is on there despite it being open for only three days of the year so far. I don't think Merlin have a cut and dry rule for when rides are unavailable unexpectedly.

@Mark9 hopefully the fact Enterprise and Hex are still on the Alton Towers website,means they’ll reopen. Incidentally I think Hex did reopen a couple of days ago. As for Chessington’s oldest Scourpeon Express I think it’s reached the end of the line. I’m devastated by the rides removal from the Chessington website. I could be jumping the gun but I think wee need to say choorio. Pun intended. This aging and increasingly unreliable Rollercoaster was rumoured to be leaving in 2019. I’m upset that Scourpeon Express left in a puff of smoke and not in a controlled situation. I’m certain that without the fire Scourpeon Express would’ve crammed in at least one more season. It’s unfortunate that enthusiasts won’t be able to say goodbye to the Rollercoaster at closing down events. The closure of Scourpeon Express would be very sad. Not only is Scourpeon Express a ride that can be enjoyed by all the family, but it was Chessington’s first Rollercoaster that adults could ride. The reason behind this statement is that The Clown Coaster in Circus World also opened in 1987. The Clown Coaster was more subdued than Scourpeon Express,the then Runaway Mine Train,. @Mark9 I was probably in the last billion people to board Scorpion Express. I was rode Scourpeon Express on the 29 of June and the 30th. Less than 6 weeks later my beloved Scorpion Express would be destroyed by fire.

@Matt Creek I think Bob my be bonkers. Your more likely to see a flying Pig than the return of the Runaway Train minus the Mine (Rocks). I’d believe Bob had he said the ride was being reverted with the Mine.Bob probably doesn’t know that the entire Train has been stripped to its bones. Sorry to quench your happiness.

7 hours ago, Mark9 said:

Enterprise is still on the Towers website and that's been in pieces all year and Hex is on there despite it being open for only three days of the year so far. I don't think Merlin have a cut and dry rule for when rides are unavailable unexpectedly.

Hex has been open the last couple of days 

I’m sorry. But if we are going on the tangent of rides like Tomb Blaster and Duel, being restored to their original states of operation, then I see no reason of Runaway Train being exempt. However any man and his dog could easily say this would never happen

Burrito Bob is a lie. However the same principal lies around every myth snd rumour, regarding the future of any ride. The mysterious disappearance of the ride on the website is an interesting one. However until we get an official announcement or see the ‘demolition’ vehicles, the closure can neither be confirmed or denied. 

I believe we are getting some sort of development plan regarding Chessington any time now, so we shall all have to see what’s happening and whether any of this might affect Scorpion Express. As we know it!

3 hours ago, Theme Park Fanatic said:

@Matt Creek I think Bob my be bonkers. Your more likely to see a flying Pig than the return of the Runaway Train minus the Mine (Rocks). I’d believe Bob had he said the ride was being reverted with the Mine.Bob probably doesn’t know that the entire Train has been stripped to its bones. Sorry to quench your happiness.

A vehicle being stripped does not confirm a rides closure! In fact a stripped car is more promising than just leaving it as is until the end of the season.

Scorpion Express is more likely to reopen this year than Enterprise is.

Could simply be a continuation of the difficulty to source parts from abroad. Unfortunately there's no Chessie insiders these days compared to when half the forum seemed to work there to actually answer the question.

1 hour ago, Benin said:

Scorpion Express is more likely to reopen this year than Enterprise is.

Could simply be a continuation of the difficulty to source parts from abroad. Unfortunately there's no Chessie insiders these days compared to when half the forum seemed to work there to actually answer the question.

@Benin are there any Chessington employees left on this forum? If there are you should them. This may be the only way to getting a reliable,honest and solid answer. I don’t work at Chessington but I wish I did. I think your point is justified and “Scorpion Express is more likely to reopen this year then Enterprise is”. At least part of Scorpion Express is still standing and the area is not overgrown. I really fear for Scorpion Express and Enterprise. If I had to predict one ride that will leave Alton and one that will leave Chessington I would say Scorpion Express and Enterprise.

Looking at a photograph that’s been posted on Facebook the Duel carriages are leaving. I expect their going away to have the Guns and Scoreboards removed. I imagine the same carriages will return without the guns and with a new paint job. It wouldn’t be the first time ride hardware has been sent away. During Forbidden Tomb’s transformation to Tomb Blaster the carriages went and returned.

• 2 weeks later...