Chessington General Discussion

Ash

Popped down to Chessie for the day on Wednesday and had a pretty good time. It was really nice to experience all of the Zoo and SEA LIFE without feeling the pressure to 'get to vampire' etc. This way I really experienced what they had to offer and was really impressed. Although us enthusiasts continually slate the lack of investment at Chessington, I never fail to enjoy my visits here - the park always has a nice atmosphere and there is always plently to do, even if only selected rides are open.The park was relatively busy for Zoo/SEA LIFE day, with bubbleworks getting a 45 minute queue at one point.Most of the day was spent filming, so I thought I would share a few cliips I have put together...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtGkTRMfKdIIt was nice to spend some time in the SEA LIFE centre, which continues to be an excellent support attraction.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnOzkvCWn2EThe Zoo was also on good form, with plently of animals out to see!Also wandered over to Wanyama which is such a great area of the park! Can't wait to see this side of the park expanded, here are my thoughts on the new attraction:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9bzm0RBHS8Chessington continues to deliver everything it possibly can with the reasources available, yet I can't help but think about how special the park could be with a new family coaster.

• 2 weeks later...

This is clearly as far as it's going to go.Although we are slating CWoA for this, but Thorpe didn't do much for its 25th year. A Flowerbed, which was barely visible?Has Alton done anything to celebrate any anniversaries?

Indeed, I went along to their 30th Birthday back in 2010. They had an 80's style concert in front of the lake featuring Midge Ure, Rick Astley, Kim Wilde... and so on.. I'm pretty certain it was also being played out live on 'Heart' radio too.

It might be another British thing (and perhaps European as well) in that we don't really see massive birthday celebrations as worthwhile for a park... Although with Vampire's 21st last year and Ultimate apparently doing the same, this may change in the future...Tbh, all I wanted from Chessie this year was a roller coaster, or a decent new ride...

to me 30 years isn't a bigg... Might I point out that 30 years fell in 2009 at Thorpe Park the same year SAW - The Ride opened to the public. It may of been a coincidence but it satisfies me beyond a crappy show about Madagascar. Like Benin I too would of preferred a decent ride to accompany the '25 year' mark.

to me 30 years isn't a bigg... Might I point out that 30 years fell in 2009 at Thorpe Park the same year SAW - The Ride opened to the public. It may of been a coincidence but it satisfies me beyond a crappy show about Madagascar. Like Benin I too would of preferred a decent ride to accompany the '25 year' mark.

Just be greatful they are opening the park at all. :D

There's no 'may' about whether Saw opening during Thorpe's 30th was a coincidence; it simply was just a coincidence.The Vampire XXI event was quite nice and something a little different from the park; hopefully we could see something in general for celebrations...

I think Chessington is Merlin's cash cow. It's the closest park to London, so regularly sees high guest numbers and along with Lego Land, it's the only park squarely aimed at young families. Merlin simply don't believe a big investment is worth it.

I wasn't expecting a new land for 2012. I'm glad it's tied in with their 'adventure' theme and is now another country to explore, continuing with the 3 big lands they want.I'm going to assume flying jumbos has been placed where the good old rodeo used to be, but if the entrance is coming from forbidden kingdom I think it might look a bit tucked away from everything. However with the Safari Experience that might only be temporary if the proposed entrance is behind RamesesQuite looking forward to seeing the changes.I know people here don't like the low investment and I personally too would like to see a new ride come in a bit more often according really the last 2 big things were Kobra and Dragons Fury and how long ago was the latter....(04) but it works, visitors still come and everyone always enjoys themselves here, especially with the family.

I went to the AP day today, after trying The Swarm at Thorpe Park, got my AP at a ‘dead’ AP office (never seen that before!) Arrived: 1 PM We were greeted by far friendlier staff as to Thorpe Park’s staff, there was a relaxed and family atmosphere around the park, and all staff said hello, thanks and goodbye on every ride and outlet that I attended today. The Annual Pass issuing at Chessington was obviously a problem because there were large queues at all AP offices all day, but the park really was very quiet, according to the staff though, it was busier earlier but the rain meant many left early. Dragon’s fury and Cobra was walk on rides as well as many others, the only ride that had a queue was vampire with 15 minutes! Vampire was a nice surprise for me because I was riding solo (I am a family of 3) Therefore they asked for a single from the queue for the front row next to me. Low and behold halfway up the chain lift we start chatting about Vampire, only to realise it was Shaun Sanbrooke, from the YouTube videos that I and many others would agree is very good news and Info. I have never had a proper conversation on a rollercoaster like that before, but it was great to chat to another enthusiast by complete accident, both of which attended the Th13teen event, what were the odds of that!

Vampire was a nice surprise for me because I was riding solo (I am a family of 3) Therefore they asked for a single from the queue for the front row next to me. Low and behold halfway up the chain lift we start chatting about Vampire, only to realise it was Shaun Sanbrooke, from the YouTube videos that I and many others would agree is very good news and Info. I have never had a proper conversation on a rollercoaster like that before, but it was great to chat to another enthusiast by complete accident, both of which attended the Th13teen event, what were the odds of that!

That's quite funny, I saw his Facebook status update today was something along the lines of 'about to get on Vampire' He really is a lovely person and quite interesting to talk to, even my mum (who absolutely despises rides of all kinds, except Small Small World) wanted to watch some of his videos after meeting him at Alton Towers! :wub: How long did it take for you to process your AP btw, my dad is getting one tomorrow and I don't want to waste any valuable Swarm time sitting in the Annual Pass Office. :(

• Mattgwise changed the title to Chessington General Discussion