Chessington General Discussion

Ash

Me too. For anyone who was going Sunday, they can go on Wednesday when the park fully re-opens. 3 days isn't going to kill anyone.

Ermmmm, yeah, of course I can book a day off work and take my child out of school to go to a theme park...

A right shame as the AP are ALWAYS popular and busy at Chessie... Not a great start to the season really...

A lot of the park needs resurfacing and a LOT of it needs redeveloping in general, need a HUGE investment in infrastructure, but it just seems like the parks have all suddenly gone really behind on what they're doing with work on new things...

The scale of this investment, and also the fact that the resort is open throughout the year for Zoo Days, means that all the works cannot be completed in the winter months and a certain amount of disruption cannot be avoided during the main park season.

My BS detector is twitching.

In the five months since closing there is no way they could not have completed this over closed season, especially with it all being in areas not accessible during zoo days anyway. They have clearly failed to plan and screwed up their timings, or have been forced into taking unplanned action now because things have become inoperable due to the condition they have got in (I think this is especially likely with Mine Train).

Good that stuff is happening of course, just a shame they aren't capable of managing it properly.

The only improvement they could make to Peeking Heights is throwing it away...

I do wonder though why all of a sudden news of such an investment in Chessie (since those two words NEVER happen) wasn't revealed until THIS week...

Great to see 3 rides down for opening though... PERFECT decision making...

Looks like Chessington is setting themselves up to have a very negative year plagued with problems and lots of unhappy guests!

1. Cancelling Annual Pass weekend at short notice
  2. Unhappy customers due to reaching capacity in half term (although I stuck up for them as I didn't believe it was their fault)
  3. Zufari delayed a week has upset a lot of people - especially when they delay it and then two weeks prior to it's delayed opening have a VIP preview
  4. Now these closed rides.

Hmmm have I missed anything.

What did I say weeks ago about health and safety and the rocks, I knew I was right.

Really? I missed the part where you predicted that Chessington would close some of its rides for a two year £million refurbishment plan.

Although it is probably clear that this is to do with the fibreglass rockfaces of doom. Dragon River's first lift and drop had a lot of water damage last year and obviously Runaway Train's caves died years ago.

In an ideal world, as well as restoring the sculpted Buddha faces on Dragon River they should rebuild the mountain, which would make a big positive difference to the area. Then they should totally remove the caves surrounding Runaway Train and rebuild them with something not made of foam. However, I doubt they would spend so much money on a small ride that doesn't have a long future.

Also, considering Chessington's budget for its new flagship ride was cut by £4million, it seems unlikely they would receive so much money to refurbish its older rides, although they have wanted to for years. Well as long as the rides are better after the refurbishment, not worse...!

Agree with all the above, especially pluk - something doesn't stack up here!

Having RMT and Dragon Falls closed at the same time - arguably two of the biggest and most popular rides at CWOA - doesn't sit right to me. You can't tell me that was "planned"...?!

To be honest, I think they will be up and running soon. They are ovbiously trying to get them open for the easter season but who knows if they will be open! I am visiting at the end of easter again so at least they will be open :D I am visiting on saturday(my thorpe trip cancelled :() and I would like to see falls open but not very bothered about RMT. I suspect people will be very cross though with all these delays especially as RMT is a great family ride! I bet they will try and sell you a fastrack ticket with only 2 of 4 rides working on it :mellow:

I can gradually see zufari getting delayed by 1 week at a time...

The work on Falls and Runaway goes way beyond losing some rocks. In a year that I thought Chessington would lead the way, it's going backwards at every step.

It's even more gaulling that Zufari isn't open at all considering its been doing previews and staff have been able to ride it since.

• Mattgwise changed the title to Chessington General Discussion