Chessington General Discussion

Ash

7 hours ago, Ian-S said:

Don't iphones have some sort of gps location software on them?

Yeah but we fear someones taken it as nobody could find it and whenever we phoned it it rang for a bit then turned off, then turned off straight away, then went to voicemail. Vodafone have put a lock on it I believe so nobody will be able to do anything. 

• 2 weeks later...

Had my yearly trip to Chessie on Thursday so thought I'd share my thoughts:

Operations were mainly alright, I'd been reading the many horror stories posted to their Facebook pages so expected the worst but I was pleasantly surprised. Only downtime I saw was Fury which I saw down at 4:00 but was back up by 4:15. None of the ride teams stood out in terms of efficiency but the guys on Tomb Blaster were dreadful, we started queuing at the '15 minutes from this point' sign and it took just over half an hour, for some reason there was about a three minute delay between riders sitting down and the lapbars lowering every time which I couldn't fathom.

Speaking of Tomb Blaster I don't think the 'updates' are the complete farce people are making them out to be. I found the guns much comfier to hold now and you don't get the trigger finger ache or the constant pewpewpew! now. Only downside was you can't really shoot at targets in the distance anymore and the whole scoring system was never explained, I still have no clue about the difference between the blue, green and yellow lights and I've ridden the damn thing. The ride is looking really bad overall, I noticed loads of effects including the boulder weren't working and the new UV lighting and overall brightness takes away a lot of the atmosphere and spookiness the ride used to have. It's also painfully obvious you're just travelling through a warehouse with a few scenes now. The whole rebranding feels really rushed and inconsistent, the big new logo outside looks very cool but then you go inside and the old logo appears on all the queueline videos, it's little things like this that should have been thought about but instead have been overlooked. So overall the ride is definitely worse now but not quite as much as I was expecting.

I'm also not a fan of the new direction the park has been heading in in the last few years. I think the park was much better and more exciting before they started the focus towards African/Asian theming. For example Wild Asia and Mystic East seem to blur into each other and the park is heading towards being entirely grey, dark green and beige which just feels bland for a family theme park, I miss the days when every land felt more distinctive and colourful. More like Beanoland and Toytown and less like Wild Asia in the future please.

While a lot of what I've said is negative I did have a brilliant day because the rides are decent and the park has a great atmosphere which feels much more laid back than Thorpe or Legoland. It's just impossible to go and not compare to how it was in the late 90s/early 2000s which was superior in almost every way with the exception of Fury. I really hope the launched or water coaster goes ahead as well as the rumoured redo of Bubbleworks as the park has real potential to truly stand out but at the moment they seem to just be resting on their laurels.

I've just had the pleasure of completing the Go Ape course which is due to open Saturday. Have to say I was a little unsure how well if would work for the park but it is very well put together and goes deep into the wooded area.

There are 4 courses on the adult one to complete and I found some of the pieces quite difficult! Several stages have different routes you can take for even harder crossings, the zip wires especially the one with the skateboard is a lot of fun. It will stay open all year round and will likely be huge for the park.

• 3 weeks later...
29 minutes ago, Equoaster said:

So today both Rattlesnake and Vampire have broken down whilst I was on it (obviously at different times), clearly shows that they're terrible at maintaining their rides.

How does that show anything? All rides break down. There is not one park in the world that will go a full day without one single breakdown.

19 minutes ago, MattyMoo said:

That link isn't correct. It's for Twinlakes, not Flamingo Land 

3 minutes ago, MattyMoo said:

Eh? This is the HSE improvement notice that the Riderater site is talking about:

http://www.hse.gov.uk/notices/notices/Notice_details.asp?SF=CN&SV=307127123

Which state's it's relating to Twinlakes.

Oh sorry, not really read this thread much and missed the start of the article.

Since the last comment was about Flamingo Land I assumed it was for that!

My mistake!

• Mattgwise changed the title to Chessington General Discussion