Chessington General Discussion

Ash

It's a very average coaster really, yes, and probably dated quickly after inverted coasters that could do inversions were invented a couple years later. It's only really good as a family coaster now.

However it used to be more thrilling with its original, heavier and better swinging trains. The station & queue is a tip now compared to how it used to be, and has barely any effect, such a shame.

Vampire is still a solid addition to Chessington these years on, although now arguably a shadow of it's former self.

Sadly over the years, the charm and character of the original ride has slowly been hacked away. From the decommissioning of three train operations, removal of station chandeliers and ambient lighting plus removal of the original crypt which was cheaply rebuilt. The further complications in the station layout, dead organist, misuse of the original music and garish queue fences only add insult injury sadly. The danger sign theming doesn't heal the bleeding I'm afraid.

Unfortunately I never experienced the original Vampire but I've definitely noticed neglect and decline in the ride during the ten years I've been visiting. 

Sadly I feel Vampire may be on life support due to still being the park's main ride and it's sticky location. When it is removed (likely as a result of permanent failure or excessive costs) it is unlikely to be replaced. At least on the scale anyway.

Maybe the new coaster/s mentioned in the development plan (that came out earlier this year) are intended as technical replacements, knowing Vampire's days are perhaps numbered.

To be fair, why'd you want anything more 'exciting' for what's just a  themed carousel, the park's a world of disappointments but no point criticising arbitrarily. At least it isn't something more over the top or cheesey.

Transylvania's shop area looks much improved from the tacky early 2000s signs and text painted all over it and dirty peeling paint. Apart from the brown buddha last year, Chessington's scenic team are generally on the ball and one of the last good things about the place (considering they are given menial budgets). Scenic painting and this kind of thing should be done much more often than Merlin parks commit to, so its a step in the right direction.

However Gruffalo's paintjob (and this is a Merlin project not Chessington's own)... not so nice, whether that's pre-texturing or not.

5 hours ago, Wumbamillio said:

To be fair, why'd you want anything more 'exciting' for what's just a  themed carousel, the park's a world of disappointments but no point criticising over finnicky details. At least it isn't something more over the top or cheesey.

Transylvania's shop area looks much improved from the tacky early 2000s signs and text painted all over it and dirty peeling paint. Apart from the brown buddha last year, Chessington's scenic team are generally on the ball and one of the last good things about the place (considering they are given menial budgets).

Gruffalo as I've said before (and this is a Merlin project not Chessington's own).. not so nice

The Vampire exit shop looks lovely, the Grufallo facade makes me feel a bit sick just looking at it...

On 24/12/2016 at 8:52 AM, ChessingtonSam said:

Ew. What have they done to the Transylvania buildings. Who thought this was a good idea?

Adventure Tree. Wow. What an exciting name. This has to be the worst year of investments that I remember for Chessie.

2013 says hi.

Removing substantially aged and neglected (once impressive) rock theming without replacement whilst installing a dry styled safari attraction clearly isn't terrible enough. 

Bless the landscaping team. They are one of the last things Chessington gets right! If everything else could be half as good, the park would be great.

5 minutes ago, CharlieN said:

I'm expecting an opening date and name. When this opening date will be, I have no clue, but I do hope it's in the early part of the season.

A name Definitely, an opening date I'm not to sure.

There have been rumours of this ride pointing towards a March opening, but given the opening dates  of recent attractions and usual  schedules, it is very possible this could have an April or May opening. Don't hold your breath for March.

Anything else like concept art and sneak previews inside is wishful thinking.

Regarding the opening the date, the banner outside Bubbleworks said March 2017;

31889437325_387d9b969f_b.jpg 

Also, is it just me that was hoping for a completely new exterior for Gruffalo, and one that didn't detract from the rest of the area?  Going by the photos showing the exact same facade in different colours, it still looks like Bubbleworks, except that it'll clash with the colour palette of the area now.

Is this really the standard we have come to expect from a "retheme?"

Last I heard it was planned to open at the start of the season. :)

Its been shut since September, and other than a couple of structural changes (in the form of new scene divisions), and a relatively small change to the nature of the transit system, nothing too significant is going on. Definitely nothing that would warrant more than six months of construction anyway.

5 hours ago, Coaster Jamie said:

Also, is it just me that was hoping for a completely new exterior for Gruffalo, and one that didn't detract from the rest of the area?  Going by the photos showing the exact same facade in different colours, it still looks like Bubbleworks, except that it'll clash with the colour palette of the area now.

I must say I wasn't hoping, expecting or really wanting a new facade / exterior.  Might be in the minority, I don't really see what it could achieve or what they could do, aside from further distancing itself from Bubbleworks?  Like don't get me wrong, I'm all for little details and everything, so maybe I'm just not thinking creatively enough to see what it could achieve.

Totally agree however about a paint job which fits with its surroundings.

1 minute ago, ChessingtonSam said:

Still better than this.

So no investment and letting things literally rot away is better than a complete redo of a dark and a new carousel after the old one needed replacing?

k

The Gruffalo's exterior looks 10 times worse in person. Black Buccanneer's boat is sat by Sea Storm, and Vampire and Dragon's Fury are in dire need of a clean-up. Could have sworn I could hear the Imperial Leather bubble popping soundtrack thing from the finale room, probably just me though. 

As nice as the carousel was, it doesn't fit in with anywhere now really. Some times people get far too precious over old attractions or those with history. Yeah it's a shame, but none of the depicted rides are like that anymore. Sometimes moving on and change is a good thing. The animal tree thing over the carousel could look quite cool and be a good centrepiece to Market Square.

3 hours ago, Mitchada04 said:

As nice as the carousel was, it doesn't fit in with anywhere now really. Some times people get far too precious over old attractions or those with history. Yeah it's a shame, but none of the depicted rides are like that anymore. Sometimes moving on and change is a good thing. The animal tree thing over the carousel could look quite cool and be a good centrepiece to Market Square.

Change is good sometimes, but ripping out the soul from a park and giving everything an animal theme is not (IMO).

It's always nice to see parks recognise their past, similar to how Alton have the logos of their past coasters outside the Roller coaster Restaurant.

The animal motive is working well for Chessington though.  Incorporating animals or real-world areas into attractions has worked well for the park - Scorpion Express, despite my personal opinions, seems to have gone down well.  Wild Asia is probably the second-best investment Chessington have made this century.  Zufari further integrated the park and zoo and has been received alright.  The zoo itself is still a big draw for people to visit the place.  etc

Yeah, they've gone a bit mad on the Africa-side of things, but the animal theme and integration between zoo and theme park is one of the few good things Chessington had/has going for it.  So I don't see an issue with having a carousel whose aim is to try and show that off.  It's basically what the old one did - show off everything good about Chessington!

There's a distinct lack of direction throughout the parks in general, though I can agree that moving the Carousel is a good move, hiding behind the shop was always a weird place for a ride type that is usually front and centre in parks...

Perhaps attaching animals is the only USP they can get away with? Saying that Market Square could easily be changed into an old England Explorer base camp without much grasping at straws...

There's a lot more that needs doing in the park though, unfortunately as it's mostly infrastructure it won't be...

• Mattgwise changed the title to Chessington General Discussion