Chessington General Discussion

Ash

Waited 90 minutes for Fury from the last few lines of cattlepen a few months ago,  used to take 20 minutes maximum from the exact same point.  If that's not incompetence what is?

I've never seen a ride run so poorly and when it's one of only two major coasters (and right at the park entrance) it's an absoloute disgrace.

According to the park management post Smiler, as much as I can remember the words spoken:

"We thought for years that high throughput and low queues were what guests wanted, now we realise that actually it's the impression of safety they want. So we are slowing the rides down and no more throughput challenges."

Arbitrary safety theatre, and a stupid attitude that only makes the guest expeirence far worse for everybody. Put that on top of what were already poor operations, poor training and inefficient ride procedures/capacities, and you get Chessington today.

50 minutes ago, Wumbamillio said:

According to the park management post Smiler, as much as I can remember the words spoken:

"We thought for years that high throughput and low queues were what guests wanted, now we realise that actually it's the impression of safety they want. So we are slowing the rides down and no more throughput challenges."

I actually see the way they operate the rides now as more dangerous - as it shows they have no trust in their rides or staff.  They're not operated professionally, or they must be dangerous, hence why they've had to slow down the operations.

1 hour ago, Coaster said:

I actually see the way they operate the rides now as more dangerous - as it shows they have no trust in their rides or staff.  They're not operated professionally, or they must be dangerous, hence why they've had to slow down the operations.

Thats exactly the problem, it actually gives off the impression that they are scared of their rides. I think its worse that they leave riders stranded in cars on break runs either in the boiling heat or the pouring rain.

2 hours ago, Wumbamillio said:

They seem to have forgotten they can do both. Rides constantly stuck in break runs or closing consistently does not give the impression of safety that they seem to think.

has anyone used single rider for dragons fury? I'm guessing its still pretty slow to get on? According to their website its in action but I cant imagine its that efficient...

Shame they don't have something similar for vampire though. Going to Chessington for the first time in like 12 years in a few weeks, hoping for some nostalgia but I wont expect much from the day other than that haha. I did used to like rattlesnake and dragon falls...

When its Kids in the line yes as the weight limit platform on fury often only lets 2 adults on at once so when there is a group of 3, or 2 large adults you may only be able to get 1 child extra on. I wouldn't recommend using the single rider on fury to adults due to the weight platform that is used to ensure the car isnt overloaded.

When did the weighing scales actually appear out of interest? Back when the three adult rule was introduced, it was to do with cars weighing over the maximum which was 195 kilograms. That was in 2006 and back then, there was nothing about cars slipping through block breaks. I'd be amazed with the ever more stricter rules imposed on the ride that it was that reason alone. 

Was Dragon's Fury designed wrong then? Winjas, Spinball and Tarantula all allow 4 adults, I'm aware Spinball goes down to 3 in the rain which arguably makes at least a small amount of sense. If all 4 coasters are built by the same company and all use the same ride vehicles then surely the block brake set ups are similar if not identical. I was always under the impression Fury was put down to 3 adults a car because Chessington feared it may skip a block one day but they had no proof of this. So then how did this 3 adults a car with the operator/host deciding, because they fear it may go wrong, maybe, once in a blue moon, become a set out weight with stupid weighing scales that RobF says means in some cases only 2 larger adults can ride in 1 car. The fact that the other 3 coasters are still piling 4 adults in and not caring makes me think it's not a Maurer issue but rather a Merlin/Chessington one. I'm intrigued now, all seems completely madness to me. A fantastic roller coaster now being operated so poorly there's never a good time to ride it, depressing really.

1 hour ago, Mark9 said:

When did the weighing scales actually appear out of interest? Back when the three adult rule was introduced, it was to do with cars weighing over the maximum which was 195 kilograms. That was in 2006 and back then, there was nothing about cars slipping through block breaks. I'd be amazed with the ever more stricter rules imposed on the ride that it was that reason alone. 

Part way through 2015.

There was a problem of what defined an "adult" and operators not realising why the 3 adult rule was there in the first place. A group of 2 parents and 2 teenagers for example might have been considered 4 adults by one operator and not by the next. It got a bit ridiculous when people would be penalised for letting on clearly very slim, lightweight young people with the rest their family, when there was absolutely no risk of the car being over the weight limit.

Operators just got told rules with no explanation or reasoning behind them. (Most the rules were additions to additions over years of failing eliminate the root of the problem anyway.)

So it was thought a huge weighing scale would put this 4 adult situation right, which it did. But the scales were put in a stupid place - which should have warranted an extra batcher, but instead complicated the platform further.

Along with the shoved-in single rider, it created more inefficient "rules" about how to batch the ride, more convoluted than ever before. The ride badly needs a fresh platform system from scratch, or a replacement coaster altogether. The high pressure and ridership for such a cheap, wobbling coaster are mad.

But fixing the park's problems costs money, whereas creating more inefficient rules and flogging dead horses doesn't, so they continue to do that instead.

1 hour ago, RobF said:

Health and saftey in relation to the rides capabilities of stopping the cars within the block breaks, there were I think incidents were cars slipped through block breaks ect due to cars being over the max weight.

Surely that doesn't matter since there's only one train out on the track nowadays!

(Of course it does actually matter, but the whole situation is ridiculous).

On 22/06/2017 at 2:25 PM, ashleyrose-66 said:

When you say refurbished, do you mean most of the theming removed to be followed by an announcement of a forthcoming competition for new theming, that never actually took place? ;)

Well, yes. However, as some have said in previous posts, almost the entire track has been replaced, meaning it will have quite a bit of time left. I still find it extremely annoying that they just removed some very good theming. The old scenery really, really improved the ride experience, and made Dragon Falls look so beautiful, very much improving the ambience of the park.

1 hour ago, Fires of Fury said:

However, as some have said in previous posts, almost the entire track has been replaced, meaning it will have quite a bit of time left.

No length of track has been replaced in Dragon Falls ever, the troughs were taken out for maintenance that year and that is it. It is still the original, patchwork trough. The troughs arent reeeeally Dragon Falls' big problem though.

I'm not sure if it's been mentioned or not but I'm sure Fury's weight limit has been raised, like alot. We've been allowed on all together every time, until last time, even though my mums been on a diet, my sister weighs as much as a paper bag, I haven't put much weight on (however not lost that much) and my dad can't have put that much weight on.

• 2 weeks later...

Wonder why they suddenly revealed it after so long? Unless someone was leaking it to the press and they put it out there for damage limitation...

Fair enough keeping it quiet though, plenty of things occur at parks that ever make it into the public eye... Don't need the likes of PETA jumping on board the Merlin bash-wagon...

When I went to the park the sign didn't suggest there had been an incident like that at all, I suppose as they don't want to upset the kids.

All I can say from my trip is that most of the rides are very tired looking especially rattlesnake, Ramases and the inside of tomb blaster. Didn't bother with dragons fury in the end, queue was long!

The gruffalo is good for kids and a very short queue but they've wrecked Transylvania now with that ugly paint job! Vampire however was pretty fun so that was the highlight of the day haha, having said that doubt I'd go back (unless with nieces and nephews in tow like this time) the park was roughly what I was expecting given the comments on this forum about (the lack of) work done to it. Shame really used to be more of an all rounder

• Mattgwise changed the title to Chessington General Discussion