Chessington General Discussion

Ash

Could have at least linked to the Theme Park Worldwide one and not give more views to that attention hungry other channel. Never did buy his obviously fake spiel about growing up with "Mr Burp's Bubbleworks" when he's obviously too old for that time. Plus when he asked fans to raise him £2000 for a "Alton Towers documentary", when the kickstarter failed he made it anyway, wonder where that money was gonna go...
Did I mention when he bought 1000 fake subscribers and his channel got banned for a few months?

Embarassing they couldnt get a more genuine theme park channel to say this attraction was good

Interesting to see Andy Porter's passion speaking, even if the attraction is underwhelming. He clearly still put a lot of good thought into it. Budget and IP contracts I think was the bigger problem..

13 minutes ago, Benin said:

Not sure if serious... (No idea who the other person is)

I'm no big fan of Shawn but  your reaction gives an idea how much Id still prefer him over the other guy, haha

I also think its sad the park invite vloggers in to film new rides that are only couple months old (a kids attraction too?)  just to get them to say good things and get them under their thumb.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It's a bouncy castle course and a beach area in one, due to open very soon I believe:

Shows the state of things when Thorpe get a bouncy castle and make a huge thing and TV advert out of it, and Chessington do the same and don't say a thing..

Though I wonder if that's intentional?

On 7/20/2019 at 6:49 PM, Mattgwise said:

Everyone I know talks about Bouncezilla and say that they can't wait to go back, sure it will be a success at Chessington too. 

Everyone I know says Bouncezilla is usually deserted and forgotten is a bit of a joke with the state the park is in. I believe a mix of both, I'm sure it's a fun summer event as far as they go in UK parks.

But I can't believe people genuinly "can't wait to go back" to do a bouncy castle. Does this mean they're attending all the summer fairs where bouncy castle courses pop up, or is it just because of the Thorpe hype again?

Honestly I'm okay with it at Chessington, they have had a pretty good string of investments recently that has been actually beneficial to the park.

Room On The Broom is far from perfect but at least they added that this year, thats probably why the bouncy castle is less advertised as Chessington actually made a investment this year..

What else are Thorpe gonna advertise? The worlds biggest collection of dust sitting around Loggers?

2 hours ago, Mysta Ghoul said:

Everyone I know says Bouncezilla is usually deserted and forgotten is a bit of a joke with the state the park is in. I believe a mix of both, I'm sure it's a fun summer event as far as they go in UK parks.

But I can't believe people genuinly "can't wait to go back" to do a bouncy castle. Does this mean they're attending all the summer fairs where bouncy castle courses pop up, or is it just because of the Thorpe hype again?

Whilst I agree - I doubt people rush back to the park for it - it’s hardly deserted forgotten - usually holds up a fairly consistent 20/25 min queue!

17 minutes ago, Coaster said:

Saw was in an awful state on Sunday; gun sound effect not working, queue TV's too quiet, swinging axes still not illuminated (broken since start of the season!) and water spray not red.  Lots of smaller effects were also broken.

Awful! I do wonder why they even bothered to open the ride in that state, I would of much preferred to see it SBNO.

39 minutes ago, Glitch said:

Awful! I do wonder why they even bothered to open the ride in that state, I would of much preferred to see it SBNO.

I disagree, I think the park should never look after or maintain anything, if anything needs fixing they should just leave it and they should never repaint anything, let it look sh**. At least the park is open.

4 hours ago, Mysta Ghoul said:

No because at fairs it's only a bouncy castle or slide, not an obstacle course. It is generally well received by the public. 

Great conversation about Chessington guys.

I went yesterday, it's nice to take a few years break from parks as Chessington is looking really good right now (to me at least). Of all three ex Tussauds parks, it looks in the best position for the 2020's. We pretty much looked around the entire Zoo and theme park and there's small bits of improvement all over the park. There's obviously some flaws such as Toadies which looks baaaad but on the flip side, Sir Squirtlot was on which I haven't seen for years. They need to make a statement on Bucaneer because saying its run aground is coy.

Park was relatively quiet with 10-20 minute queues across the board. Saw some shows, had a pint or two at the hotel which I think is Merlins best hotel as far as the theme and view stands.VJdhi48kS26uPB3KbousjA.thumb.jpg.785650b857e578f45ea08ae6854bd7af.jpg

Lord Lorikeet

fullsizeoutput_1e6a.thumb.jpeg.edbb1b6bdb9db9a2fde9fa1d81fc0e4f.jpeg

I like these little tributes across the park to the past. Ashok here, the wood carvings near the penguin enclosure from a tree that was cut down to expand the area. They are charming and respectful.

151262818_h6aerGDTumgPm0TWWuiaw.thumb.jpg.5e5401842021543504fb5e8cc000ebca.jpg

Wanyama Village is the best part of Chessington. It's what separates theme parks from amusement parks. Chessington is easily our best answer to the European competitors IMO.

krYZcW2WS0WUOELty128pg.thumb.jpg.55e3bf30abd1d44ebedd31d65d383bcc.jpg

I liked how fresh a lot of the park actually looked. Rattlesnake had a slight refurb a few years back with all the snakes fixed and now looks much nicer then it did through the 00's. The animatronics still need work

519540740_yMGzjLDQPmSJPv3VLJ6oQ.thumb.jpg.bb431bdae6881c93c61cbf0c6ec75edf.jpg

Wasn't much of a fan of Bucaneer just being left around near Griffins.

1106923859_OWt7OJpRzOFikjq0BzoTQ.thumb.jpg.3eccd3d6bbdbd2fa168cd998f6a25036.jpg

This park needs a successor to Fury. It can't cope with the demand and has never been able to. As the ride offering decreases, they need to get some investment in. I like that they are refurbishing rides one by one through the place and I approve of the effort in the Zoo offering. The place still needs some ride investment. With so much on the market, when will Chessington actually build something fresh and new?

I think Chessington have a new coaster planned, it was on their LTDP anyway: https://www.southparks.co.uk/2017/04/26/ltdp-and-plans-for-lodge-accommodation-submitted-by-chessington-world-of-adventures-resort/

I honestly really enjoy this park these days, I know it used to be mocked a lot but I feel like recently it has seen some pretty smart additions and besides Buccaneer the park is looking pretty fine compared to how it did going into 2010. I do think a new coaster would really benefit this park, especially with Paultons adding Storm Chaser and Tornado Springs next year!

48 minutes ago, JoshuaA said:

the park is looking pretty fine compared to how it did going into 2010

Odd. When Wild Asia was announced, the park felt like it was heading in a positive direction and going places, and then 2010 ended up being arguably one of the best seasons for the park (not necessarily in terms of numbers, but in terms of how the place felt).

To me, Chessington feels a bit stuck going forward: no 'new' rides since 2013 (only rethemes or like-for-like replacements). Moving forward, they can retheme Tomb Blaster and Land of the Dragons, but after that, they pretty much exhaust all worthwhile retheming projects. So they need to do new stuff. How likely that is remains to be seen..

48 minutes ago, JoshuaA said:

I think Chessington have a new coaster planned, it was on their LTDP anyway: https://www.southparks.co.uk/2017/04/26/

LTDPs are vague and plans change. All that suggests is that they've considered installing a coaster. There's nothing concrete to suggest a new coaster is coming soon.

1 hour ago, Mark9 said:

I went yesterday, it's nice to take a few years break from parks as Chessington is looking really good right now (to me at least).

The most important question though - did you do the bouncy castle? Are you in a position where you can't wait to revisit to have another go??

5 hours ago, JoshC. said:

To me, Chessington feels a bit stuck going forward: no 'new' rides since 2013 (only rethemes or like-for-like replacements). Moving forward, they can retheme Tomb Blaster and Land of the Dragons, but after that, they pretty much exhaust all worthwhile retheming projects. So they need to do new stuff. How likely that is remains to be seen..

I honestly think it was a clever move to re-theme and refurbish the rides they did throughout the past few years. Chessington doesn't seem to have much expansion space and a lot of the park was in high need of refurbishment (a bit like Thorpe Park rn).. Chessington recently has actually given me a little hope in Merlin oddly enough, the park seem very focused on improving their current offering before then adding in new exciting stuff. 

LTDPs are vague and plans change. All that suggests is that they've considered installing a coaster. There's nothing concrete to suggest a new coaster is coming soon.

This is noted. Though I think a coaster will happen sometime within the next 5 years, I honestly think Chessington will get a new coaster before Thorpe tbh. 

Odd. When Wild Asia was announced, the park felt like it was heading in a positive direction and going places, and then 2010 ended up being arguably one of the best seasons for the park (not necessarily in terms of numbers, but in terms of how the place felt).

I think ever since the mid 2000's the park became a bit of a joke to enthusiasts, sure Wild Asia was a little spur of hope but at that time you still had Bubbleworks and Falls in a state.

I think now also because of Thorpe's current state people now actually appreciate Chessington more. 

• Mattgwise changed the title to Chessington General Discussion