Flamingo Land

limecrusha1

2 hours ago, JoshC. said:

You could have a 3-way race with Mission Ferrari in Abu Dhabi tbf

Not that it matters, because Energylandia will have built 5 coasters, 2 cheap flats and a dozen kids rides by the time any of them open

I add Brexit to this race, as that itself could be seen as a rollercoaster.

8 hours ago, Glitch said:

I add Brexit to this race, as that itself could be seen as a rollercoaster.

That's more like a never ending dragster where you go over the top, that euphoric moment of leaving the Eu and then you crash through the earths surface, straight through to the other side of the planet and the only benefit you have is that you've probably melted in the Earths molten core.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Remember this is a thing? 

Photo from a couple of weeks ago:

image.png

Source

Still a lot of painting to do (you can make out the silver-grey between the two corkscrews, and that still appears to be all that's done). It's a real shame as looking at it from this angle, the red/yellow scheme works really well in the location.

Some rumours suggest an August opening, but whether that was pre-Covid is anyone's guess. So yeah, this will open at some point.

• 1 month later...

Flamingoland have updated their park map confirming that the new ride won't open until 2021.

The ride is coloured grey on the map, and shows two trains with Union Jacks on the front. I'm sure at least one aspect of that drawing will be wrong, and it's not the colour of the track... ;)

Still no word on a name, but if they don't call it Invers10n I'm not bothering with this.

• 1 year later...

Out of interest, have we heard anything new about the new coaster as of late? Is it testing or anything yet?

I find it really interesting how much it's flown under the radar given its significance; yes, it's a Colossus clone, but it's the tallest coaster built in the UK since Swarm 10 years ago, as well as the biggest ride at Flamingo Land (I think?), so it's pretty significant for the UK coaster scene in that regard!

On a side note, Flamingo Land is going to have a pretty epic coaster collection by the time this opens... they're going to be joint with Towers & Blackpool for most coasters in the UK according to RCDB, and they're going to have 5 thrill coasters! That's nothing to be sniffed at, in my view... it must surely put them in contention for having one of the strongest coaster lineups in Britain, possibly even one of the strongest in Europe?

The planning application did state that it would be repainted grey, so one would imagine that has to be done before they can get on with testing. I don't know the ins and outs, but I would imagine that since it is specified in the plans, they would have to get that painted sooner rather than later.

The park was hit incredibly hard by Covid, running a reduced line up and with bare bones staff levels. It shouldn't be forgotten that they have the zoo side of their function too, which would have received very little support, and where all their money was focused on.

I personally still think 2022 is optimistic for it to open the rate it's going.

10 hours ago, Matt N said:

On a side note, Flamingo Land is going to have a pretty epic coaster collection by the time this opens... they're going to be joint with Towers & Blackpool for most coasters in the UK according to RCDB, and they're going to have 5 thrill coasters! That's nothing to be sniffed at, in my view... it must surely put them in contention for having one of the strongest coaster lineups in Britain, possibly even one of the strongest in Europe?

Simply put, no.

Quantity does not mean quality, and the park's quality is pretty low. Looking at those 5 thrill rides...

Kumali: Pretty good invert

Mumbo Jumbo: Average

Hero: Atrocious.

Velocity: Fine family coaster

10 looper: Let's assume we can stick that in the 'pretty good' to 'great' category.

Obviously this is a tainted viewpoint from an enthusiast, but even to a wider audience, that's going to be the general consensus. You can easily argue that Thorpe, Towers, Blackpool and Fantasy Island have stronger coaster line ups in terms of quality. Heck, come next year, you could possibly throw Chessington into that conversation too.

Don't get me wrong, it's good to have a big and varied line up, and Flamingo have one of the widest in the UK I'd say, especially since there's something for everyone. But they're nowhere near the conversation of have the strongest UK line up

Kumali just about sneaks into the good category probably based upon the fact its not the worst SLC in existence. 

Everything else is meh to awful. The park itself isn't particularly charming and the operations make Thorpe look like Europa.

The new coaster should be good. If it ever opens. But it'll be on 1 train and run awfully.

The zoo is good though. I'll give them that.

I was just thinking about this coaster the other day - it's interesting isn't it, you'd think the majority of the expense has been spent already considering it's all built..  

Maybe naively I'd have thought it's almost just a case of opening it now and wait for the crowds to show up, but I guess it's more complicated than that.

Perhaps it's not actually been fully paid for yet considering Covid wiped them out?

Or maybe they're waiting until they can be as sure as they can that they'll open it during a season when as many people can attend as possible, with low risk of having to shut or reduce capacity?

It does seem a massive shame that they've clearly spent quite a lot of money to but it and get it built, and it's just sat there with no sign of life.

If I remember from the Iron Gwazi saga in the states, that project got delayed over Covid and what happened is they just stopped payments to RMC (or the equivalent fitting out contractor) and since the final payment wasn't made the ride is not handed over. Gwazi was at a point where it could of opened in a month is money was paid, staff hired and the final tests and signing off performed

Its probably a similar scenario with this coaster, however in a earlier state

As if by magic, we have an update, posted by "Theme park Nation" on Facebook. 

So Inversion is set to open this summer. The park are on a skeletal engineering crew, but their winter maintenance schedule is edging to completion, and the train could be put onto the track next week.

What this means is anyone's guess, as painting and commissioning are still big things which need to be done.

272881082_4744394922317923_7508310309139947114_n.jpg

14 hours ago, Matt Creek said:

Apparently they have started painting more of the track in that ‘beautiful’ generic grey colour.

Watching this ride’s construction really is like watching paint dry.

This is what is daft. If they had no money scrap the repaint. It looks better in its slightly faded red with yellow than that horrid new grey and black. 

7 minutes ago, Mattgwise said:

This is what is daft. If they had no money scrap the repaint. It looks better in its slightly faded red with yellow than that horrid new grey and black. 

The thing is, they can't just scrap the repaint because repainting it was one of the things mentioned in the planning application. For whatever reason, it was included to help get approval, so they can't just not do it.