SAW: The Ride

Mark9

Are you deliberately being silly here?

Well surpisingly, no! :glare: With it's winch house, cable, and catch-car system, I thought that after a rollback it would take longer to reset Stealth.

Usually more technical rides = more technical resetting. Obviously not the case here.

But I'm sure it used to take longer to reset back in it's early days compared to now.

The cable moves only in the horizontal plane, and indeed, the winch either increases the cable length to the station or decreases it...

Stealth is in basic terms, pretty damn simple, hence why I could recreate it (scaled of course) in an university environment...

You go to Thorpe Park for the first time in about 12 years and then head back for more regular trips. Nice.

If the speed of the drop gives you a rush then fair enough, but it doesn't for me. The indoor inversion is good, agreed, but I do hate the air-type guns that blast out the air - pointless.

I still love that indoor drop the best :wub:

I managed to do this 3 times on Sunday without getting concussion :lol: These were all at the end of the day, with only a ride on Loggers between the first and second go. I was determined as I thought I better prepare myself for The Smiler incase it turns out as rough! The second time had quite a bad jolt at the bottom of the drop, but I seem to have found a way to make it more bearable; rather than just sitting in the normal position, I put my feet on that slanty bit above the bottom of the car, not sure how else to explain it! I pushed against it to help brace myself and it seemed to work :o I have to hold on at said jolt, and on that final turn after the dive loop.

It's weird, I used to love this ride back in 09, although it may have just been a case of "New ride syndrome" :P Then I was like "Meeeh painful ride" for a while and now I'm starting to quite enjoy it again!

Even more excited for The Smiler now!

The indoor inversion is good, agreed, but I do hate the air-type guns that blast out the air - pointless.

I don't think that the air gun things are pointless. To me they kind of add to the ride experience. As SAW - the ride IS a horror themed coaster it needs as much interaction with the rider as possible. E.g. being shouted at and sprayed with water by the dummy on the floor, thinking that you might hit the axes or spikes and being talked to by Jigsaw. For me the air guns just add on to that feel of interaction - making you feel a little bit like you are actually in a saw trap.

I think they're supposed Crossbows to be full of syringes, depicted in one of the movies, (I think its Saw 3 but I forget).

The block break is necessary to segregate the dispatch, personally I'd rather this then a blank stretch of track, but I could see how the effect is pretty much lost on anyone who hasn't seen the films.

I think I may have not explained myself properly...

When I said I airguns I meant the ones after the swinging blades drop. Are these airguns? I couldn't think of a better way to describe them.

However, the airgun used in the shooting gun in the queueline isn't as bad.

That's what I was talking of too, the one in the queue line is great little gag.

Even having seen the films that stretch just makes no sense, I can't see that anything actually happens other than the noise? The flash of prop on one side followed by a twang and prop springing up as if it has just flown in front of the faces of the riders on the other side is one of the oldest tricks out there as well as quite easy to produce and very effective. That would have worked, rather than whatever it is that's there.

The indoor MCBR is meant to be crossbows; you hear a crossbow noise at the same time as the air, but it's sorta drowned out due to the noise of the air. I honestly don't think it was meant to recreate / resemble any of the traps from the films - I'd bet my bottom dollar it will be exactly the same if the Saw IP gets dropped.

Am I just making this trap up? haha

I could've sworn there was a trap somewhere along the line where a man gets locked in a room with a bunch of syringes attached to crossbows aimed at him.

In which case they're probably not loaded with syringes at all. It would be good if we could see a lights on picture of the MCBR in question. There are definitely crossbows attached to the walls though.

So, after having a look, I think I've come to the conclusion that crossbows are never used in the films.

The hair trap from saw 4 is the trap just as you enter the building, right?

Do you mean the rack that's in the building at the bottom of the stairs? That's the shotgun and rack trap from Saw 3, one man in the rack and the other having to pull the cable by the shotgun.

Went on Saw yesterday with 3 friends and OMG how rough has this ride got! it gave me a bad back and two other friends headaches and strained necks! and that jolt at the bottom of the first drop is just ridiculous! if The Smiler rides anything like saw I will not ride it no way could I go through 14 inversions of that! forget about a retheme when the ip runs out get shot of it and put the woodie in that was planned for that site! lol

I've always thought that the section with the crossbows would of been improved by having the crushing walls trap there, would of worked well because the walls would start moving in then you would set off just time before the walls hit the track. I love Saw: The Ride and although it is rough in places it is actually one of my favourite coasters at Thorpe and indeed the UK.

• 2 weeks later...

I rode this ride yesterday for the first time in like a year. Last year I didn't renew my MAP, so only went once. When I went my friend was to scared to ride it because of the queue, and I couldn't be bothered to ride it alone.

It was good, and I really enjoyed it, but I think the queue line needs some sprucing up. When I went October last year, there was a very freaky atmosphere around the ride, with the shotguns being heard from outside (they didn't seem as loud as the first time I rode, 2 years ago, but I don't remember a lot of it) and the music playing. Me and my friends got on the ride first thing (we ran) and there was nobody in the queue, there was no music playing and just the guns. Quick question about the shot gun noise, where the hell does it 'come' from? There's just a speaker playing it, but I can never see the actual gun.

The dude in barbed wire in the queue is quite a cool feature, though. Anyway, good experience. The indoor section was amazing imo, the outdoor section was meh. Just like Rage, which I find quite tame. The outdoor drop was a lot better than Rage's though. It was a good ride, but not my favourite. Stealth Front Row and The Swarm Front Row were my favourites of yesterday, mainly because on Swarm the fire happened whilst we were on ride, and we got soaked by the water effect.

Good day, and I liked this ride more than I thought I would, didn't think it was rough at all tbh, Colossus is a lot worse! I still have no clue where the 'shotguns' that make the noise are in the queue line though.