SAW: The Ride

Mark9

Cool Fact...Went on a behind the scenes tour yesterday...want to know the main reason why the body does not squirt water all the time...Because they have to keep the water at Body Temperature because that is what it is meant to be...and as was the case yesterday, the heater had broken...Hahahaha.

Thought that was a great fact! 

You are telling me that swarm has paid attention to the small details? Is that why there is a billboard next to a church and a crashed helicopter? Disney have lots to learn from swarm island.

The flaming fire truck (strong sense of irony), the destroyed emergency services vehicles and destroyed church (showing no one can help you and nowhere is safe), the destroyed flying modes of transports (showing The Swarm control the skies), the cries for help from the telephone box, the slight humour of the billboard and more are all great little touches. There's also more.

Given that the ride is set AT Thorpe Park, surely the church makes no sense to be there? But no one complains about that. It's one of those things you have to accept for the story, and it happens in all forms if entertainment.

I would also like to point out billboards next to church's is by far a common occurrence. If not owned by the church then another company. It's not against any law to have paid advertisement next to the house of god ;)

Just want to point out the little touches too... You wouldn't really notice this from the ground... You don't really notice it on the ride either... But it's still there! The burnt effect on the ground...

btslifthill15.jpg

And this is what it looked like when it was first done. Was a lot more noticeable. Yes, they actually painted swarm shadowns on the ground towards the Ambulance.

544592_10151956533005624_63058807_n.jpg

The Swarm shadows are good, although I still don't think Thorpe would pride themselves on adding all the details.

Edit - I know I sound grumpy, but I do love Thorpe Park. Even if it isn't the best park ever, or in the UK (in my opinion).

But I think if they really want to keep customers flooding in, and get better feedback, they need to improve on the details.

Hopefully someone there will visit Phantasialand and get inspired. They prove you don't need to make cheaper investments more often to keep customers visiting again. However I know Merlin don't do it that way, which is fine, but if I were Thorpe Park I'd be trying to improve customer satisfaction even more.

And they really need to now that they're aiming themselves at families.

Amity Cove has lost a lot of details over the years though...

Certainly though there is a lack of details in many of the UK investments... Indeed, you compare Swarm's church with the waterlogged details of Amity's buildings and there is a massive difference in what's been done... Scorched pavements are a start but the details need to be in the aspects of the ride that people will be looking at as well...

The billboard is not a detail, but a theming element... Big difference... And the detail in it is done so badly, with the stupid graffiti that ruins the "Flight in Paradise" joke...

The little things are the most important, but there's not enough of them at Merlin parks (to take the Phantasialand example, their water pump themed drop towers include a pipe of water turning on and off as the ride rises and falls, THAT'S attention to detail)...

The billboard is not a detail, but a theming element... Big difference... And the detail in it is done so badly, with the stupid graffiti that ruins the "Flight in Paradise" joke...

Then you obviously can't see that BOTH sides of the billboard has a pun relating to the ride experience! One side features an advertisement for headache relief tablets, with the slogan "Don't lose your head!", obviously regarding the billboard's role as a near miss. The other side has "Take a flight into Paradise HELL!", which is a pretty good nod to the fact that you've cleared the billboard...but this HELLISH ride still isn't over! :)

"Take a flight into Paradise" didn't NEED the crossing out or hell written on it though, that's my point... They basically went Rainer Wolfcastle on it...

Besides the fact that only the back two rows can actually see that part properly when on the ride...

"Don't Lose Your Head" side is fine, though again I can't help but feel if they had just done it as adverts rather than add some random graffiti on top then the overall final product would've been a lot better...

It's that sort of detailing that Merlin get badly wrong...

Very funny... ^_^

But seriously. I've always found the SAW queuing experience rather dull and lifeless without the audio! It's funny how the constant sinister ambience and the occasional "Don't touch any switches! They could be in reach of something! *static*" can change everything!

But I could be proven wrong about the speakers being broken, as last time I went, they were working fine in the morning (ERT :wub:), but in the evening, they kept cutting out during an announcement...and from that point it was silent. Whether or not they've been fixed by now, who knows? ;)