SAW: The Ride

Mark9

• 3 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Project LC said:

I saw that. The headline I saw read something about 'hanging face up (what?) 30ft off the ground on World's Most Terrifying Ride'

A little bit off topic but for some reason that "news" story got me thinking about how much better a ride Saw would be if they were able to replace the trains with the infinity II style trains, or even just replace the shoulder restrains with lap bars. I know it would make no marketing sense to change it and Merlin are the type of company to add OTSR to an RMC. Still it would make for a great ride as the layout really isn't that bad at all its just all that head banging that ruins the ride a bit.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/10/2016 at 2:22 PM, Ian-S said:

If you didn't have the head restraint keeping your head in the general place it's supposed to be then the result would be a basal skull fracture for you with some of those turns, which is your preference?

Not true, plenty of rides have snappy turns and utilize lap bars. Just take a look at Iron Shark or Dare Devil Dive, both Eurofighters both use lap bars

Don't belittle me with a completely unfounded comment and then proceed to patronize me with a question like that. Especially as you seem to have no idea what your talking about.

Perhaps those rides have less forces involved, the Iron Shark POV on YouTube certainly doesn't look as rough as Saw.

By the way, I didn't belittle you, I explained to you why, in my opinion, I felt that there was over the shoulder restraints on that particular ride, you see around 25 years ago I worked in an industry that suffered a spate of basal skull fractures, the research that went into finding a solution was extremely detailed and concluded that anything over about 5G the risk of detaching your skull from your spine was increased in a nonlinear way to the point that without something to restrict the head moving, it was almost guaranteed for everyday Joe public.  They found their own solution (since it wasn't rollercoaster related) and that solution is still in use today, so I do have a little bit of experience on the subject, if you think everybody who disagrees with you is being patronising I suggest you grow thicker skin because there will be plenty throughtout your life, especially when it comes to your own safety.

There is a scientific reason why over the shoulder restraints are used, it's not done just to annoy you.

Well lets agree to disagree, obviously the restraints purpose are not solely to keep your head in place, but it helps.  I'd love to take an accelerometer on it to see what lateral g is placed on a rider, as we found back in the day it's not the sustained g that is the main cause of injuries, it's the initial spike g that happens in the initial change of direction that does.

The head restraint might seem overkill for you, or a fighter pilot, or racing driver who is used to experiencing high lateral g, but lets not forget the vast majority of people that ride these rides are not built for it and for the best part, the most strenuous part of movement their neck gets is moving from one screen to another in their office, without the restraint I'm sure more people would break the necks on those corners, it may not be the sole use, but it's an important one.

BTW TTP has Saw's GForce listed as 4.5, but it does say what type of g it is.

yep it reaches around 4.5G in a few places however that's not in lateral G forces. If a roller coaster had the possibility of giving you a neck fracture, even with a restraint it wouldn't be open. I like to think I know a thing or two about roller coaster design and typical designers will avoid high lateral forces as much as they can as they are generally quite uncomfortable (for example, a wild mouse)  

I'll try back up my point with some evidence.

Take this heart line roll on Maverick for example at 12 seconds (it was eventually removed cause of stress on the train)

Now look at Mavericks restraints

maverick_close.jpg

That restraint was not designed to keep your head in place.

Both Saw and Smiler could've been built with lap bars, half the time it's the owners decision (if there is a choice obviously) and I think a lot of the choice is often based on the country of residence... Lap bars on an intense coaster would probably appear unsafe to the masses...

Karacho is probably a good example comparison as it does have similar train and elements to Saw... Plus a launch as well, though I reckon the main reason for OTSRs would be the drop, and though Iron Shark has both that and lap bars, 6 years is a long time for further development to allow Gerst to provide such an option for their Eurofighters...

Saw is certainly not 5G, unless you are reffering to the pain endured during the ride's jolts.

The actual G is likely around 4.5G considering the track, layout and pace. Especially given Smiler's similarities which also offers 4.5G.

Lap bars on this would be loverly and probably make the ride more enjoyable. Unfortunately at this time that is probably wishful thinking.

There was a person around on the forums who had a g force reading for many rides... Wonder if they did Saw...

You could easily hit 5G on Saw, if only for .1 of a second and it'd still count anyways... Indeed most of any ride's highest g force is very quick and sudden otherwise there'd be a lot more issues if they were sustained for a duration...