SAW: The Ride

Mark9

Some families just prefer to go there/

Why?
I guess prefer wasn't the word I was looking for - what I meant was that where travel is an issue (for people who don't have cars / people trying to save money / etc.) some families will just go to the nearest park possible, which could be Thorpe. Plus, Thorpe - to some of the general public - is seen like a family park with rides for everyone. Also, the amount of families that still go to the park for a family day out is still quite a lot.As for the whole 'It's a Eurofighter' thing, it is a Eurofighter yes but, in the end, I wouldn't be surprised if the money Lionsgate and Twisted Pictures contributed went mainly meant to go to theming - so that leaves Thorpe to sort out everything else and if the ride goes over budget, then money from LG might of had to have been spent on the ride, as opposed to the theming.Anyway, I've had my say. I might not be expalining what I mean very well. I see where everyone else is coming from, but there are reasons why outdoor theming may not have happened - in defense of Thorpe, they've got a very good ride and it seems people are now just looking at the negatives rather than the many positives. So, can we just end this mini arguement now before it gets out of control and say both sides have a fair point?

Just da-ence!

Ummm?Actually I think Josh is half right but so are the rest of you, even though Chessie is close some families have some people who want to go on those rides (parents) which is why Thorpe have parent swap, but I also agree with the rest of you saying that the rest of the ride/queuline (outside) could have had more theming, anyway can we stop this now becuase both parties are right in some respects, and it is a very hard decision for the park to make.

I went on SAW yesterday. In my opinion it's Thorpe's 2nd best ride, behing Colossus. I headed for it first and got away with just a 60 minute queue for it. The indoor section of the queue is excellent, the video which comes on is very atmospheric even if standard. There are also loud bangs and lights flashing.Once in the station the ride broke down, but was fixed quickly and without too much bother. I was on the 2nd train, back row which meant I missed most of the effects but got a longer talk at the start.The drop at the start is surprisingly forceful and very fun. The swinging blades added an awful lot to the experience. The twist was also good. I got soaked by the body on the floor.The outdoor section isn't so good. The "Game Over" just before the lift is a nice effect and the drop is quite fun. I was disappointed by how far away the blades actually are from you going down the drop and the inversions weren't much to shout about.But there was none of the roughness I have heard about in recent reports, although the ride did keep braking down and at one point the queue stretched back to Colossus. SAW and Colossus had 99 minutes queues all day and I think the park almost hit capacity.

I went on SAW yesterday. In my opinion it's Thorpe's 2nd best ride, behing Colossus. I headed for it first and got away with just a 60 minute queue for it. The indoor section of the queue is excellent, the video which comes on is very atmospheric even if standard. There are also loud bangs and lights flashing.

You timed it right then, I started queuing for it about 11:15am, and waited just over 2 hours. So I've now walked the whole queueline, which, could be tidied up in places, like the pallets lyring around, and the dry mud in places.

I went on Saw for the 1st time yesterday after attempting to ride on the 15th March. I Thought the inside was good, but didn't think much of the outside at all to be honest. Good points for me:- The Guns in the queue made me jump.- Even after reading the spoilers..the drop still took me by surprise.- The body was lit up properly, and I got soaked.- I actually thought the inside was themed well, and loved the announcements.Bad points:- Outside portion didn't have any 'WOW' factor like the other roller coasters at Thorpe Park.- Was over really quick.- Too much light in the inside part of the queue.- The fact that only the second train gets the puppet talking to them..I think everyone queues the same amount of time so should get the same experience.Anyway thats all I have to say really. Feels good to at last give my views on the ride :blink:

To those suggesting that Saw should have had mist/fog/fire - let's be honest, even if there were any of these effects, how long would it be before they were in total disrepair anyway? A year tops?

I agree, and also, when it is working, the mist on Nemesis Inferno is a unique sensation to the park, and I think it should stay that way.

I went on Saw for the 1st time yesterday after attempting to ride on the 15th March. I Thought the inside was good, but didn't think much of the outside at all to be honest. Good points for me:- The Guns in the queue made me jump.- Even after reading the spoilers..the drop still took me by surprise.- The body was lit up properly, and I got soaked.- I actually thought the inside was themed well, and loved the announcements.Bad points:- Was over really quick.

I'd agree with that, the biggest letdown for me about SAW is how short it actually is. But still, it's a great ride experience either way.

It seems short but its not really becuase when you think about it, it is actually quite long if you think how long the inside takes and then the coaster outside.Also the body and the water have really been sorted out now, you can tell its Jigsaw they have multicoloured lights on him to make it look really spooky and the water actually reaches you now.

- The Guns in the queue made me jump.

Yeah, that makes everyone jump. I went on it last weekend for my 3rd time, and it was my mate's first. I was determined not to ruin the inside of the station for him, he kept asking me questions what it was like before we got inside and I kept saying, "Just wait and see." Anyway, when it came to the guns I was in stitches at his reaction. Comical. :P

- The fact that only the second train gets the puppet talking to them..I think everyone queues the same amount of time so should get the same experience.

On my first two rides (16th March) the screens weren't working, but last weekend they were. So I dunno if that was because it had just opened or maybe I was just unlucky. I shall be keeping a close on eye this. Oh, and please turn up the volume!

I have to say the body looks much better now that it's lit up. The water seemed to actually get all riders now where as only the middle riders got a trickle on their hair, it seems to be more powerfull too.

That body is the most tackiest part of the theming. Talk about a Friday afternoon job!Also, the countdown clocks in the station and at the bottom of the tower...I get it, yeah - but why? Bit pointless to me.

Also, the countdown clocks in the station and at the bottom of the tower...I get it, yeah - but why? Bit pointless to me.

Because it's Saw: The Ride. Therefore it has Saw theming?No bit of theming is ever pointless. Jeez, before Saw everyone complained about the lack of care that goes into theming on a lot of rides, now we get one of the UK's if not one of Europes most themed rides and now people are complaining that some bits of theming are pointless? My oh my. :PI like the countdown timers, has a good effect and both timers work well where they are. Especially at the base of the lift hill tower, with Billy coming on the screens and then the 'Game Over'.And it's not a case of 'turning up the volume', it's because someone decided it would be fun to play End of the Day music as loud as possible and then brake nearly all the speakers. :P

Apparently, the idea of the ride being quick is to stun people. A bit with Stealth, the chavs and others realise it is over and think 'OMG!!!11 I jus wen over dat so quick!!!111' It feels quick so the chavs and others think 'Woah, dat ride waz intense nd quick!! I cant believe I jus did all dat so fast! Nd OMG!!!111, dat body waz soooo cool and dat puppet was real freky!!!!!'It does make sense when you think about it...

Well there quick because the track isn't particually long :P, Saw seems like a longer ride because theres quite a lot of waiting around,- the puppet at the start, the syringes/crossbows and before the chainlift, and occasionaly at the top of the lift if you're lucky xD.Tbh to contradict what you said I usually hear people complaining about how short they ware, inferno espeicially

No bit of theming is ever pointless. Jeez, before Saw everyone complained about the lack of care that goes into theming on a lot of rides, now we get one of the UK's if not one of Europes most themed rides and now people are complaining that some bits of theming are pointless? My oh my. :P

In my opinion Saw isn't even the best themed ride at Thorpe, it doesn't even hold a candle to Rattlesnake, Runaway Train, Dragon Falls, Nemesis, Hex, Valhalla, Tomb Blaster, let alone some of Europe's finest rides.Saw is good for Thorpe standards, but lets not pretend that outside of the warehouse, it's well themed because it quite simply isn't.

In my opinion Saw isn't even the best themed ride at Thorpe, it doesn't even hold a candle to Rattlesnake, Runaway Train, Dragon Falls, Nemesis, Hex, Valhalla, Tomb Blaster, let alone some of Europe's finest rides.Saw is good for Thorpe standards, but lets not pretend that outside of the warehouse, it's well themed because it quite simply isn't.

:P:D Rattlesnake- goes through a few tunnels; Saw goes through Saws, what about the top bit of Rattlesnake, completely bare and boring.Runaway train- It barley even has a station! Saw has the huge warehouse. And again all it does is go through a tunnel.Dragon Falls- This ride is horrid, bits peeling away everywhere. The dragon is tacky and garish. And in most parts meandering around the course it isn't themed.Nemesis- It's Landscaped not themed it has a river of blood (Saw has a river too next to the lift) and a monster, other than that it's just painted red/pink. And the stupidly long story isn't played in the queue any more either, so that's a bit pointless, plus Saw has one, it just doesn’t take 20 mins to read.Valhalla-They change the temperature in the rooms a bit, it doesn’t drop past swinging blades and spikes, plus the rocks and most of the themed bits are fake.I think http://www.s104638357.websitehome.co.uk/ht...lhalla_main.htm sums up Valhalla.Tomb blaster: Maybe, but because it's an interactive shooter the LSD lights all over the place ruin it.Hex- Agreed; but that's all it's designed to do, be themed, Saw isn't designed to be just a warehouse, with what is essentially a simulator at the end, it's a ride as well (And a Ride I rate above anything else in Thorpe maybe the UK)But we all have our different opinions.I guess you don't like Saw? Out of interest what would you have put outside? More than a rotating saw, TV, chains when you’re waiting to go up the lift?

On my first two rides (16th March) the screens weren't working, but last weekend they were. So I dunno if that was because it had just opened or maybe I was just unlucky. I shall be keeping a close on eye this. Oh, and please turn up the volume!

I think he was reffering to the puppet just before the pendulum blades. He speaks to the Second Car whilst the 1st car clears the lift hill

Might sound silly, but I think for me, the whole thing would seem better themed and just look better if say, the building was set into the trees near Loggers Leap, and more surrounded. Not on an island, just fitting in a bit better. They could have even got away with just having a themed front facade, with the rest of the building hidden from view. They could have then invested in more of a three-dimensional front, and a fully themed, all indoor queue.

So...Mark what is the best themed ride at Thorpe Park?The only ride I can think of is Tidal Wave.SAW does hold a candle to Dragon Falls, Tomb Blaster and Runaway Train especially 2 of the mentioned are peeling away. Ordinary warehouses don't look like that in the UK.