Rumba Rapids

Ash

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

cant they just knock it down completely and build a whole new rapids ride with a REAL theme I mean look at kali river rapids and blutoes bilge rat rapids thing they are so good partly because of what its based around Merlin have the money to make a ride of those standards, I doubt they want to be know as the 2nd largest attractions company with the crapest rides on earth :)

I must be one of the few people who don't mind Rumba Rapids. Yeah, the colours are a bit of a sore. Yeah, it's short. Yeah, you don't get that wet. But I still enjoy it. It's one of those rides where you can be in a large group or a small group and go round and have a laugh. Plus, it's suitable for everyone. Whilst it may not get you wet, you don't want every single water ride soaking you to the bone, and there's still times when you can get a bit of a soak on there. It could easily be improved, but if people enjoy it, why not?

I must be one of the few people who don't mind Rumba Rapids. Yeah, the colours are a bit of a sore. Yeah, it's short. Yeah, you don't get that wet. But I still enjoy it. It's one of those rides where you can be in a large group or a small group and go round and have a laugh. Plus, it's suitable for everyone. Whilst it may not get you wet, you don't want every single water ride soaking you to the bone, and there's still times when you can get a bit of a soak on there. It could easily be improved, but if people enjoy it, why not?

dont get me wrong I enjoy rumba rapids, and I dont mind you dont get drenched, head over to tidal wave if you want that, its just how poorly maintained everything is when I was there in September it was about 11:30 and the lake still had empty crisp wrappers and coke bottles floating in it and along with all the ghastly colours that Thorpe tried to add as "theming" the rusting metal pipes and grey fences just really make me wanna cry out loud :L wheras in contrast with blutos bilge barge rats (what ever its called) just makes it look like a pile of dog crap that thorpe dont care about :/

dont get me wrong I enjoy rumba rapids, and I dont mind you dont get drenched, head over to tidal wave if you want that, its just how poorly maintained everything is when I was there in September it was about 11:30 and the lake still had empty crisp wrappers and coke bottles floating in it and along with all the ghastly colours that Thorpe tried to add as "theming" the rusting metal pipes and grey fences just really make me wanna cry out loud :L wheras in contrast with blutos bilge barge rats (what ever its called) just makes it look like a pile of dog crap that thorpe dont care about :/

You see, what I highlighted annoys me. Take park would have been open for what - hour and a half, 2 hours? In those 2 hours, people could easily just chuck rubbish in the lake, it doesn't mean that they haven't cleaned it out. The fact that you say still makes it seem that it's been left there for ages, when it could easily have been an hour or so. And, if you expect somewhere to just magically appear and clear it up, you are being a bit naive...Poorly maintained? I agree with that partially, but that's not just Rumba Rapids. A lot of the effects slowly get worse as the season goes on. Take the Inferno tunnel. Beginning of the season, mist everywhere. End of the season, practically no mist. As for the colours, yeah, they're not the best, a bit of an eye sore, but at least it was an attempt at creating a theme. People would have been moaning a lot more if it was generic brown fencing...I don't really know about that many other rapids, and yeah, there are tons better out there, but you can still enjoy Rumba and, being at Thorpe, it suits nicely as a break away from the big rides. Not every ride has to be the best...

You see, what I highlighted annoys me. Take park would have been open for what - hour and a half, 2 hours? In those 2 hours, people could easily just chuck rubbish in the lake, it doesn't mean that they haven't cleaned it out. The fact that you say still makes it seem that it's been left there for ages, when it could easily have been an hour or so. And, if you expect somewhere to just magically appear and clear it up, you are being a bit naive...Poorly maintained? I agree with that partially, but that's not just Rumba Rapids. A lot of the effects slowly get worse as the season goes on. Take the Inferno tunnel. Beginning of the season, mist everywhere. End of the season, practically no mist. As for the colours, yeah, they're not the best, a bit of an eye sore, but at least it was an attempt at creating a theme. People would have been moaning a lot more if it was generic brown fencing...I don't really know about that many other rapids, and yeah, there are tons better out there, but you can still enjoy Rumba and, being at Thorpe, it suits nicely as a break away from the big rides. Not every ride has to be the best...

well you can clearly tell the rubbish has been floating around for weeks as its covered in crap and the effects do get worse your right and thats where the people at merlin stroll down to thorpe park and sort them out and I disagree with the bit about rides not having to be their best, an attraction like thorpe park not keeping their rides top standard is the same as a parent not clothing their child (obviously not the same but you get my jist)

well you can clearly tell the rubbish has been floating around for weeks as its covered in crap and the effects do get worse your right and thats where the people at merlin stroll down to thorpe park and sort them out and I disagree with the bit about rides not having to be their best, an attraction like thorpe park not keeping their rides top standard is the same as a parent not clothing their child (obviously not the same but you get my jist)

It's a lake, its not as easy as getting a litter picker and getting every last piece of rubbish out of the lake every day of every week

the effects do get worse your right and thats where the people at merlin stroll down to thorpe park and sort them out

People at Merlin? So, you're saying there's no one at the park who is responsible for looking after the effects, and it's all down to a team that covers all Merlin parks?

and I disagree with the bit about rides not having to be their best, an attraction like thorpe park not keeping their rides top standard is the same as a parent not clothing their child (obviously not the same but you get my jist)

I think you've mis-interpreted my post. I'm saying that not every ride has to be the best ride of it's type. Some rides do have to be simplistic and, to put in how you worded it, 'crap'. Of course rides need to be at their best as much as possible, and I'm in no way saying that. Also, what would the general public prefer? An entire new ride that they've never seen before or a new ride that's 'the same as what they had here before'?

People at Merlin? So, you're saying there's no one at the park who is responsible for looking after the effects, and it's all down to a team that covers all Merlin parks?I think you've mis-interpreted my post. I'm saying that not every ride has to be the best ride of it's type. Some rides do have to be simplistic and, to put in how you worded it, 'crap'. Of course rides need to be at their best as much as possible, and I'm in no way saying that. Also, what would the general public prefer? An entire new ride that they've never seen before or a new ride that's 'the same as what they had here before'?

oh I dont care who works where, I just want rumba rapids to be sorted out! well in my opinion as I am a member of the general public I would prefer a new ride and I believe most people would who wants the same old ride? thorpe will eventualy need to move with the times and ditch rumba rapids

oh I dont care who works where, I just want rumba rapids to be sorted out! well in my opinion as I am a member of the general public I would prefer a new ride and I believe most people would who wants the same old ride? thorpe will eventualy need to move with the times and ditch rumba rapids

Okay, I don't care that you don't want to know who works there, but some people are responsible for the effects who work specifically at the park (as far as I'm aware). Basically means that effects should realistically be maintained all year round.Hmm, interesting. So, because you - one person - would prefer an updated version, you believe that most people would? Who wants the same old ride? Arguably, quite a lot of people do. Also, who wants the same ride - why not have a completely new type of ride altogether?

I don't mind the ride, it passes the time and can be fun with the right people. All I wish they would do is just add a few water features here and there like the ones on the lift hill to improve the experience ;)

There once was! Can't remember if it was when it was Thunder River or RRR, but there once was a time when there were loads of water pistols scattered around the course. Ah, memories. Posted Image

Okay, I don't care that you don't want to know who works there, but some people are responsible for the effects who work specifically at the park (as far as I'm aware). Basically means that effects should realistically be maintained all year round.Hmm, interesting. So, because you - one person - would prefer an updated version, you believe that most people would? Who wants the same old ride? Arguably, quite a lot of people do. Also, who wants the same ride - why not have a completely new type of ride altogether?did I say that... no I said in my opinion I would prefer a new ride I didn't mention anything about that I believe most people would...

did I say that... no I said in my opinion I would prefer a new ride I didn't mention anything about that I believe most people would...

Rumba is crap but insanely popular...Thorpe won't get rid of it... It would probably cost them a fair chunk of money to remove it since it's all channels and what-not in a hill... It's not in their interests to remove a ride which would be difficult and costly to replace when it's popular with the guests...

• 1 month later...

I like this ride very much, but it's always very embarrassing for me to ride.The reason for this is because I don't know anybody who likes thrill rides so I always have to go to theme parks on my own. This does bother me to a certain extent but I still have fun. However, the reason why I'm embarrassed on this ride is because I'm always sat in the boat on my own which makes it go really slow and I feel like everyone watching must think I look ridiculas lol.It doesn't bother me on the other rides because I'm usually seated next to someone and where they go so fast, onlookers can't tell that I'm on my own lol.But on Rapids, the boats ALWAYS gets stuck because there's not much weight in it and there are always loads of onlookers watching. Lol it doesn't really bother me, it's just kinda embarrassing and makes me look like a loser:(But anyway, it's a terrific ride and I particually enjoy the indoor section and the relaxing nature of the ride.Despite the embarrassment, I still consider Rumba Rapids to be one of my dearest friends at Thorpe Park.

I like this ride very much, but it's always very embarrassing for me to ride.The reason for this is because I don't know anybody who likes thrill rides so I always have to go to theme parks on my own. This does bother me to a certain extent but I still have fun. However, the reason why I'm embarrassed on this ride is because I'm always sat in the boat on my own which makes it go really slow and I feel like everyone watching must think I look ridiculas lol.It doesn't bother me on the other rides because I'm usually seated next to someone and where they go so fast, onlookers can't tell that I'm on my own lol.But on Rapids, the boats ALWAYS gets stuck because there's not much weight in it and there are always loads of onlookers watching. Lol it doesn't really bother me, it's just kinda embarrassing and makes me look like a loser:(But anyway, it's a terrific ride and I particually enjoy the indoor section and the relaxing nature of the ride.Despite the embarrassment, I still consider Rumba Rapids to be one of my dearest friends at Thorpe Park.

Sorry, are you still going on, its just that reading all of your essays in different topics is just tedious now. :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

It's certainly not the best example of the type but theres nothing really wrong with the actual ride, I'd guess it'll be there practicaly forever as it'd cost a fortune to turn it into something special and remains a high throughput crowed puller. I like it.However, the state it's in is just not acceptable and needs addresing. I'm not even talking about spending any money - give me a day and a pressure washer and I'd have it looking about 30% better. Look at the outside facing of the queue line where you wait to get up the lift hill, the entrance and content of the tunnel. It's just filthy and unloved. Why has no one done this?Give me (or anyone) another day and a couple of hundred quid to spend in ikea and it could be hugely better. Would it be so hard to do something like put up some netting with some funky lighs behind to cover the old advertising / theming and stop it looking like a derelict dump? Why has no one done this?What have the few people who work there all year been doing for the last 4 months? I guess they were too busy for this, spending their time fixing the broken hand dryers, broken soap dispensers, replacing the blown lightbulbs in inferno station, dusting inferno station, servicing samurai, making storm surge water tight and look good, fixing the effects on x/saw/Colossus. Oh.

It's certainly not the best example of the type but theres nothing really wrong with the actual ride, I'd guess it'll be there practicaly forever as it'd cost a fortune to turn it into something special and remains a high throughput crowed puller. I like it.However, the state it's in is just not acceptable and needs addresing. I'm not even talking about spending any money - give me a day and a pressure washer and I'd have it looking about 30% better. Look at the outside facing of the queue line where you wait to get up the lift hill, the entrance and content of the tunnel. It's just filthy and unloved. Why has no one done this?Give me (or anyone) another day and a couple of hundred quid to spend in ikea and it could be hugely better. Would it be so hard to do something like put up some netting with some funky lighs behind to cover the old advertising / theming and stop it looking like a derelict dump? Why has no one done this?What have the few people who work there all year been doing for the last 4 months? I guess they were too busy for this, spending their time fixing the broken hand dryers, broken soap dispensers, replacing the blown lightbulbs in inferno station, dusting inferno station, servicing samurai, making storm surge water tight and look good, fixing the effects on x/saw/Colossus. Oh.

Completly agree with you. However, this topic will still be here in 2-3yrs time and I am willing to put money on, that nothing has changed... Apart from that it will be even more unloved by the park! Its funny how I would be well up for spending a couple of days cleaning it and adding bits to it to improve it - for free! Lol!