Rumba Rapids

Ash

There is a reason if you, as an adult without a child, are happy to be lumped into a category with morons as someone not to be trusted to ride in a boat for no good reason.

What if the stupid people had all been black, of oriental, or gay etc. They, quite rightly, would not say 'well, lets ban all blacks/orientals/gays from the ride', would they? But adult without a child is​ an acceptable group to declare unfit? Why?

And I said it was a dumb example, but it serves a purpose demonstrating a point: this rule does not get rid of the stupid people by the restrictions on it, but does stop a hugely disproportionate amount of perfectly capable people from riding.

There is a reason if you, as an adult without a child, are happy to be lumped into a category with morons as someone not to be trusted to ride in a boat for no good reason.

What if the stupid people had all been black, of oriental, or gay etc. They, quite rightly, would not say 'well, lets ban all blacks/orientals/gays from the ride', would they? But adult without a child is​ an acceptable group to declare unfit? Why?

And I said it was a dumb example, but it serves a purpose demonstrating a point: this rule does not get rid of the stupid people by the restrictions on it, but does stop a hugely disproportionate amount of perfectly capable people from riding.

I see your point, but I dont know what happened and I doubt many here do, the only people who will know about any incidents will be the park, if the majority of these incidents are caused by what they define as "adults" and choose to restrict the ride for a short time till measures are in place to improve this then thats ok with me.

Health and Safety is the number 1 priority in this industry. It seems the park has not taken this decision lightly but have ultimately come to this conclusion for the health and safety of all their guests. It seems unfair and discriminatory but in this instance I feel a one rule fits all policy is the fairest in an unfortunate situation. As others have said; it sounds temporary until the park can implement other measures.

The trouble is, if any incidents were caused by teenagers and they didn't institute a 'one size fits all' policy turning teenagers away, and instead turned away those who 'looked like they'd do something stupid', Thorpe would receive just as many complaints as they are now. However, as has been rightly brought up, just because someone is with an under 12, does not mean they won't do stupid things, or the under 12s won't do stupid things

It's an unfortunate decision, and one I doubt any of us actually think is good that this is happening. To be honest, it's a lose-lose situation for most of the guests and for Thorpe. As is the way in the life, the stupidity of the small minority has ruined something for the majority...

What Pluk is imagining here, is its the fault of the individual itself to create the incident - rather than others in the boat.

So it goes back to the same point - someone with children is incapable of causing problems to other guests then, are they? A dumb and incorrect assumption.

If that is the issue no forced mixed party boats would be a more proportionate measure, obviously cause a larger queue but be fairer all round, don't you think?

Well hang on a second, what if a 14 year old who looked like a 12 year old was with his family and Thorpe had no way of proving he was over 12. Or the other way around, what if a child with his family was under 12 but Thorpe turned them all away because they had reason to believe the child was above the age limit? Obviously you could have your ticket or a form of ID but I'm not sure how many people keep hold of their ticket beyond the gate (I'm not sure if you even get it back after the turnstiles, I've had a Merlin Pass since I was 11.) Or how many 12 year olds have ID other than their passports, which I highly doubt they would bring to Thorpe Park! Whilst the restriction is obviously necessary, it does have its flaws...

Damned if they do and damned if they don't really...

Of course only those with insider info will know the full story, and of course serious incidents are unlikely to come into the fore so the reasoning behind this (to the majority) will be unknown...

Therein lies the problem, they cannot reveal the reasoning, but because of that it seems stupid for them to implement this idea...

Still flawed logic. Thorpe doing nothing in what sense? If the ride itself is safe and has done nothing wrong nothing needs changing to it or its operation, if a person has they need changing. If they've done something to.endanger the lives of others they.need arresting. The park assisting an investigation is plenty enough action. You can't health and safety out the risk of actions of someone who wants to cause another harm. People have their own personal responsibility.

Two wrongs don't make a right, and this is wrong.

Thing is are we saying every time the park gets busy, they'll ban 90% of the guests who go. I really can't see how the park can do anything to change the nature of the ride. You go with seatbelts, they can be undone, you stop the turntable to allow guests on like at rainbow magicland, you severely cripple the throughput. You ban anyone without a child which is actually quite discriminationary, the park then looks to be stopping accidents by stopping anyone riding... At all.