Rumba Rapids

Ash

• 3 weeks later...

Rumba rapids has reopened today after the Drayton Manor incident, unsure if there are any changes. 

Anyone know why there has been a member of staff standing on the bridge watching down on the lift hill/camera area all the time this season? I mean I assume its to make sure people aren't standing up or whatever but thought that's what cameras were for? 

Rumba rapids has reopened today after the Drayton Manor incident, unsure if there are any changes. 

Anyone know why there has been a member of staff standing on the bridge watching down on the lift hill/camera area all the time this season? I mean I assume its to make sure people aren't standing up or whatever but thought that's what cameras were for? 

The ride's so old the cameras probably don't work.

I've just realised I've noticed staff on a couple of occasions looking at that area - seems odd that there are lots of cameras on the ride - maybe an issue with the tannoy or cameras or just extra precaution following the fatal accident at Drayton

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, ThemeCrafter264 said:

This is rather pathetic. As a 15 year old, who always holds on in rapids and doesn't mess around, I can't ride anymore with my friends. I've done Congo river rapids twice by myself before so this decision is awful!

I agree - I think 18 is a bit much when you consider during holidays you get groups of friends under this age visiting the park - particularly in summer where water rides are popular.  

Just because someone is over the age of 18 doesn't make it a certainty that they won't tit about and put their own safety at risk

I agree with everyone above, we went before a few years ago when they implemented a rule about if you were under 16 you had to be accompanied by an adult but it was just a group of school friends and we were refused entry to the ride, especially now that there's only rumba and tidal wave left (as decent water rides), it feels unfair to tar all teenagers with the same brush just because of a few stupid people who choose to ignore the safety advice given.

Easiest way to sort it though, no other park (let alone Towers) wants a death at their park, especially given the circumstances involved...

Shows the difference between a park that had a major incident though...

Can imagine it being an arse for staff, much like when they altered the height limits on the flumes, but what else are they meant to do? Thorpe's advisory situation (and stating as such online through official channels) would utterly screw them over should the worst happen...