Rumba Rapids

Ash

It might look crap at the moment but as has been mentioned all the pumps are working and it's hauling ass at the moment, my last ride on it was the most intense I've ever seen it!

All that’s needed are those random squirters back in action & we’re almost there! And also, rename it back to Thunder River, a much, much better name.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey don’t you bad mouth Rumba!

Sure it’s no River Quest, Fjord or Kallerado but one thing it does well is being a entertaining ride for family and groups. With enough work and effort it could be pretty special.

Honestly speaking I’m not surprised it hasn’t seen the season out, what with it’s higher staff and maintenance costs and also no longer fun at dusk. I also get the impression the park’s attendance still leaves something to be desired.

Fingers crossed it won’t end up getting abandoned and rotting away like it’s estranged cousin Loggers.

31 minutes ago, Coaster said:

It's absolutely naff to just close it to save on costs, there's no logical reason a rapids ride can't operate in October.

If it was having a huge refurb then fair enough, but last year it closed before Fright Nights then opened in exactly the same state the year after.

Agree with you - also I’ve never got hugely wet (sometimes not even a drip of water on me) on Rumba and it’s closed due to being a seasonal attraction.  Why the hell do they decide to keep Tidal Wave open when really to enjoy TW it has to be really hot ?

4 minutes ago, Han30 said:

Agree with you - also I’ve never got hugely wet (sometimes not even a drip of water on me) on Rumba and it’s closed due to being a seasonal attraction.  Why the hell do they decide to keep Tidal Wave open when really to enjoy TW it has to be really hot ?

I personally believe it's due to Thorpe being stingy and understaffed. According to Lord Sambrooke, Thorpe are using staff in some of their scare attractions instead of actors/people paid specifically for fright nights. Also correct me if I'm wrong but do thorpe still have staff dotted around rumba to deter people messing around?

I guess Thorpe don't like the idea of operating a rapids in the dark when they can't trust members of the public from dicking about.

On 10/10/2018 at 12:48 PM, Coaster said:

It's absolutely naff to just close it to save on costs, there's no logical reason a rapids ride can't operate in October.

If it was having a huge refurb then fair enough, but last year it closed before Fright Nights then opened in exactly the same state the year after.

When your theme park is flopping beyond believe, haemorrhaging money at an alarming rate and seems unable to attract people.. you close the rapids.

12 hours ago, Mark9 said:

When your theme park is flopping beyond believe, haemorrhaging money at an alarming rate and seems unable to attract people.. you close the rapids.

Indeed, because closing another ride is a definitely the way to attract more guests and spread good word of mouth.

It’s definitely a budget related reason why it is shut, especially considering it requires a minimum of six staff (two operators) now to run. It’s almost crazy how it could’ve run on just three staff a few years back, before the recent Rapids accidents. They are  probably short on staff too psrkwide, I expect.

The most affected guests will be those under 10 or ones that hate Horror/Scare Mazes, which is still a shame really.