Rumba Rapids

Ash

To be honest, I think they should invent a rumba rapids style ride, but where the boats are on tracks and riders are harnessed in restraints. The track could involve inversions, and troughs of water, plus the tunnel and everything else everyone like about Rumba.

Now even Thorpe Park can keep some water-foutains running, and this coupled with the actual removal of the rock that had the waterfall on it means that the only reason has to be H&S.

Just to add to that, the rock wasn't removed on purpose, it had an accident. :)

I wish the rapids had loads of effects everywhere but had sestbelts, like at IOA because, even though it is easy to open the belt, it discourages people from doing it - it would also cover thorpe for if somebody fell out as it would be their own fault

I totally agree.Maybe another idea could b to put the metal ring back in the middle because it stops people from walking across the middle.

Just reading the health and safety above; Is there then absolutely no effects on Rumba Rapids now or are there still some?

There are two water effects left working. 1) As you enter the cave, the waterfall. It gets the entire boat wet, so people won't get up and move about.2) A fountain inside the cave. You cannot see it because it's pitch black, so again people won't get up and move around. The seat belt idea sounds like a good one, but would it increase loading time/ unloading time? Thorpe should just have a sign that says "DO NOT stand up... blah blah... Thorpe cannot be held responsible for any injury as a result of mis-behaviour". That would "cover their arses" which is in reality all that Health and Safety is about.I mean if someone jumped over the fence to Nemesis Inferno and got hit by a train, I would have thought that Thorpe would actually get sued because of it (as stupid as it sounds) which is why they've put up the signs that say "Ride area do not enter" along the fences. A similar thing on Rumba could cover them..?

There are two water effects left working. 1) As you enter the cave, the waterfall. It gets the entire boat wet, so people won't get up and move about.2) A fountain inside the cave. You cannot see it because it's pitch black, so again people won't get up and move around. The seat belt idea sounds like a good one, but would it increase loading time/ unloading time? Thorpe should just have a sign that says "DO NOT stand up... blah blah... Thorpe cannot be held responsible for any injury as a result of mis-behaviour". That would "cover their arses" which is in reality all that Health and Safety is about.I mean if someone jumped over the fence to Nemesis Inferno and got hit by a train, I would have thought that Thorpe would actually get sued because of it (as stupid as it sounds) which is why they've put up the signs that say "Ride area do not enter" along the fences. A similar thing on Rumba could cover them..?

I totally agree with the sign thing!Why should effects be turned off that have already been paid for to improve the your ride on Rumba Rapids?Also, I have not seen it at THORPE PARK on my visits but on You Tube there are tons of people that actually film themselves swimming in Rumba Rapids (I thought there were propellors under the water? :) ) and people tolding on under the entrance bridge and jumping from one boat to another!It is rediculous and has consequences for other people.Tbh, I would not approve of seatbelts on Rumba Rapids as I know I would take it off straight away, like everyone else, thinking well that is stupid! Here are some videos from You Tube of this taking place.
Any opinions???What annoys me on these videos is there are CCTV cameras all around Rumba Rapids. I am not being rude to the staff before anyone has a go at me but come on! If that is happening and you are the ride operator, shouldn't you act on it? (and Yes before people also say they might not see it etc. Fair Enough).On a positive note - At least you can hear the fantastic Rumba Rapids audio clearly! :):(

I have to admit that last video was pretty awsome! But yeah, I hate it when those chavs get away with things like that. :)

None of the videos are awsome!It shows what stupid people can do!Ruin the ride for others. If this sort of behaviour did not happen on Rumba Rapids, all the effects would be in operation. So saying the video was awsome is encouraging this type of thing to happen on Rumba Rapids.I am surprised they got away with that as there are CCTV cameras all the way around Rumba Rapids including the bridge I think where they were suspended.Also, they would not be laughing if they were asked to leave THORPE PARK and may be band from future visits. They would not be laughing then!(Note to any workers at THORPE PARK - If I ever apply to work there instead of Chessington & Zoo, Please do not put me on Rumba Rapids or I will be insisting anyone I catch doing that to be removed immediately and banned from future visits.)My Rant is over! :)Sorry, But I do not find it amusing when other people ruin rides for others.

I was just wondering to myself:What if Rumba Rapids was sponsored by Imperial Leather?Then I thought that I could edit pictures to LOOK like its sponsored by ILPictures:http://g.imagehost.org/0580/Rumba_1.jpghttp://g.imagehost.org/0551/Rumba_2.jpghttp://g.imagehost.org/0945/Rumba_3.jpgMaybe IL's boats (if they sponsor it!) have a way to stop people moving about as much.

If imperial leather did ever sponsor rumba, my idea would be to have shampoo come out of this pipe sort of thing shown here :P

and potentially hit me in the eye? No thanks.the guy above who edited those photos, I really do hope you dont actually work for IL, slyly letting us know that this will be happening. I tell you what you wont be the most popular on here if thats the case! :D

I do work for Imperial Leather.Actually I'm one of the people in charge of the Bubbleworks Sponsorship.But as thats ending soon my boss asked me to thing of something else we cound sponsor and thats when I thought "Rumba Rapids".I havent told him yet becuase I wanted to see what you guys thought in case it turns out a crap idea.Thanks

Don't you dare touch the Rumba Rapids!!! :P Do the Flying Fish! :D

If Rumba Rapids do get sponcered by Imperial Leather, then you might as well just get rid of Rumba Rapids really as it will ruin the ride experience for quite a lot of people.Who wants to go on a "intense" rapid ride with ducks quacking everywhere?!

*Raises hand slowly* :P

Go Rumbas Go! :D

Hmm...Go Rumbas, go, Rumbas go, don't upset the river!

Small rant about Health and Safety.As some of you may have noticed on recent trips to Thorpe, all of the squirting fountains have been turned off. As well as this, the first waterfall that only got half the boats wet (after the first bend after leaving the "station" (?)) has physically been removed. This implies that it will never ever be coming back. Now even Thorpe Park can keep some water-foutains running, and this coupled with the actual removal of the rock that had the waterfall on it means that the only reason has to be H&S. The waterfall that falls on the boats just at entry to the cave is still there, but I think the only reason why that hasn't been removed is because of the fact it gets the whole boat wet, meaning people don't stand up to avoid it.Now I've heard (although it hasn't been proven) that the shower was turned off for H&S reasons, again because of people standing up to avoid it. Soooo,, Thorpe have removed all effects on Rumba that will encourage people to stand up. This in turn has made Rumba easilly the most boring ride in the park now. There is actually no point to it, and it isn't fun in the slightest.In this ridiculous culture we live in, if someone stands up and falls out the boat, they can sue Thorpe Park so I guess I can see it from Thorpe's point of view. But it sucks nontheless. And I HATE health and safety when they come in to work and start making us change things, and put "warning" signs up everywhere etc. etc. but that is off topic majorly. :P

None of us like H&S but unfortunately life sucks and these rules are put in place to make the world safer. Even with H&S about, people still manage to have accidents and violate H&S law, so imagine how this world would be without H&S at all.

I was just wondering to myself:What if Rumba Rapids was sponsored by Imperial Leather?Then I thought that I could edit pictures to LOOK like its sponsored by IL

Merlin are trying to get ride of sponsorships, not introduce them.

Hmm...None of us like H&S but unfortunately life sucks and these rules are put in place to make the world safer. Even with H&S about, people still manage to have accidents and violate H&S law, so imagine how this world would be without H&S at all.Merlin are trying to get ride of sponsorships, not introduce them.

H&S is not about making the world safer anymore. It's about covering people's arses from getting sued. As an example, at my work in Farnborough, well I work in a shop that is fairly small. There are two clear exits, both in the fact they are the only places in the shop that light comes from, and they are about 30 feet from each other. Health and Safety comes in, and insists we put fire-exit signs up all around the shop. Ones that point people to the directions of the exit etc. It's not to make people safer, it's so that if we had a fire and someone was stupid enough to get lost in a 30 foot shop, their family could sue us for not having adequate fire exit signage. It's the compensation culture, the culture of "I just tripped over on a pavement, I'm going to sue the council for not filling in a pot-hole", whereas it should be "I just tripped over on a pavement, it's my own stupid fault for not noticing the hole".Health and safety as in fully checking rides/ making sure negligence doesn't happen is certainly a wonderful thing though. You would expect that, if you go to a theme park and follow all the rules, you would be guaranteed a safe day.