Rumba Rapids

Ash

I genuinely think that if the park were to tighten rules on Rumba there would not be problems.

The second one person is kicked out the park they'll most probably gossip about it on facebook.

Their friends will quickly get the idea (assuming they have enough brain cells to process the infomation)

that if they mess about they WILL be kicked out of the park.

Pluk - you still seem to assume that it was the case of themselves being an idiot which led to an incident.

Let's just think... what if it happened to be that people in your boat were messing around, and it led to someone being accidently pushed hard enough to fall over into the water? That's not entirely their fault, they probably didn't expect to end up in.

Course I don't know the incident, but we cannot always presume it was the action of themselves causing an incident.

From the proper seated position, on the seats which are lower than the exit gaps and with a small metal rail at the edge, there is no way you can accidently get pushed out of that boat. Unless maybe you have a massive massive head making you exceptionally top heavy?!

http://www.flickr.co...48294/lightbox/

If you are already standing you are breaking the rules, so sit down. If someone pushes you in from seated (which would have to include lifting or continuing to push you from around shoulder height long after you have reached the edge of the boat to get to any sort of tipping point) they can be arrested for attempted murder!

I was there earlier and met up with a group of girls I know. They all got on Rumba without being turned away and said they didn't even see a sign at the entrance! Not sure whats really going on here now, but it seems some teens can still get on the ride despite the restriction.

Maybe the attendant thought they looked over 18?

This is something I've been thinking - people who are over 18 but don't look it (like me for instance) could get turned away, but people who are under 18 but look older could be allowed on. FAIL.

Not that there's anything they can do about it, they're not exactly going to ID people :o But yeah, just something to think about.

Here's a fact for you, African Americans, on average, are much less able to swim than the rest of society and are 3 times as likely to die by drowning than the average. Under the same thinking it would be much safer all round if Neptunes beach was white only, would it? Just in case, you know, manage some risk. Of course that is absolutely not acceptable, you have to trust people not to get themselves in a situation where they drown.

I have no doubt Thorpe think they are doing the right thing, but they are wrong.

I totally agree with you. I understand that Thorpe do have a hard decision to make and I don't have a solution myself, but then I haven't been running a theme park for years on end. The situation has been brought about because of stupid behaviour by a vast minority, and in the interests of health and safety, Thorpe think this a good idea - but they are wrong.

Age discrimination IMO is just as bad as any other. If members of a certain religion had been the cause of accidents on the ride - we wouldn't be expecting signs outside stating 'No groups of Christians without a Muslim present' or visa versa. They need to understand that in today's society, discrimination of any kind is unacceptable.

From my own experience, I went to Thorpe on Easter Sunday. The restriction was in place and travellers in their large family groups, of course were allowed to ride. The result; boats full of people standing, attempting to splash other boats, rocking the boats, screaming obscenities at the top of their lungs etc. I saw the same groups leaving at closing time, not removed from the park after those actions - Thorpe need to sort it out.

If only this was the case.

Considering the park kick out on average 40 people a day.

You clearly know your onions, Mr Rabbit, but really? They manage to do so very quietly then! I have only ever seen one person ejected from the park (for some sort of domestic based shenanigans, not for breaking a park rule as such, other than swearing maybe) and he was screaming every F + C under the sun as he went (as I expect most people would).

They still fail to kick out many many people who have been clearly observed by staff breaking various rules repeatedly. This needs to be remedied.

You clearly know your onions, Mr Rabbit, but really? They manage to do so very quietly then! I have only ever seen one person ejected from the park (for some sort of domestic based shenanigans, not for breaking a park rule as such, other than swearing maybe) and he was screaming every F + C under the sun as he went (as I expect most people would).

They still fail to kick out many many people who have been clearly observed by staff breaking various rules repeatedly. This needs to be remedied.

I find thorpes security the best at this, I have seen and felt more intimidated at Alton Towers than I ever have at Thorpe, especially during Altons Halloween event

I do a very similar thing most days myself. There is usually no way in the world to quietly remove someone by force from somewhere they don't want to leave, regardless of how much you don't want to draw attention to it / damage your image. How do they accomplish this remarkable feat without quests noticing then?

http://www.thorpepar...mba-rapids.aspx

The Rumba Rapids section of the site has been updated to say 'Rumba Rapids is available for family groups and adults (aged 18+) only.'

Seems as though this temporary solution may last a bit longer now, which is a shame, as I doubt anyone wants this is to the case, etc. Pretty much seems that if it's a group of teenagers under the age of 18, they won't get on..

Doubt there's any sort of ID process; think it was said a couple of pages back / some other forum (can't remember) that it seems if you look over 18 / responsible enough, you should be fine.

Probably someone who's more 'in the know' / visited more recently knows more about that though :P

'Rumba Rapids is available for family groups and adults (aged 18+) only.' ?

That is still one hell of a mess of a restriction. So adults can not take someone else's children on? What!? Much simpler and, I would say, not ageist and properly and consistently enforceable would be:

'Children (under 18) must be accompanied by and adult (over 18)'