Rumba Rapids

Ash

Sorry if it's been posted already, but the thorpe park website now says "

Rumba Rapids is available for family groups and adults (aged 18+) only

"

So, it would seem that they have lifted some restriction to now just ban half of the park rather than the majority!

This was literally posted on the previous page 2 days ago. Thanks an' all, but a quick and simple read through doesn't take a lot! :)

As for the London Eye sign, yep, it's located by the entrance/exit it of Calypso BBQ closest to Canada Creek:

Posted Image

Sorry about the time stamp; photo was took before I realised I could take the things off...

Has been there years and years; think it was placed in the BBQ as well for a short while - if memory serves me correctly, I remember waiting for food there years ago (back when your table number was called by themed mini-announcements over the speakers) and believing that it was true.. :blush:

Never noticed this one by Rumba before; will look out for it next time I go.

I thought the restriction was totally unfair today! I am 16 and I was on my own, I don't think I look intimidating; the park was dead and raining. Yet they still enforced the rule, I felt that was totally unjust, because it’s a stupid rule anyway, but come on be reasonable, when there are empty boats going round! Disgusting behavior from Thorpe Park!

I argued the toss that I was on my own, and that I wouldn't be able to cause trouble on my own (otherwise I would just be sad)

It’s not fair, I was having a great day, and happily went on the teacups, storm surge and whatever else that’s more children friendly and enjoyed it! It’s not fair, because you could say that is singling out an age group, therefore making them inferior! I am sorry Thorpe, but it is disgusting, and the embarrassment that I had to face being turned away from a ride that I could once enjoy.

I argued the toss that I was on my own, and that I wouldn't be able to cause trouble on my own (otherwise I would just be sad)

The thing is, just because you're on your own, it doesn't mean you will not cause trouble. Arguably, if you're by yourself, you could be seen as more likely to cause trouble (like go swimming or whatever) because you may get bored. I'd agree that it's more likely that you wouldn't, as these sorts of incidents tend to happen when trying to show off / people mucking about, but it could be argued the other way.

It’s not fair, I was having a great day, and happily went on the teacups, storm surge and whatever else that’s more children friendly and enjoyed it!

Interestingly, the two rides you mention there which you class as 'more children friendly' have tougher height restriction than Rumba Rapids! Storm Surge is 1.1m min (1.2m to be unaccompanied) and Teacups is 1.1m min (1.3m to be unaccompanied), whereas Rumba is 0.9m min and 1.1m to go unaccompanied.

It’s not fair, because you could say that is singling out an age group, therefore making them inferior! I am sorry Thorpe, but it is disgusting, and the embarrassment that I had to face being turned away from a ride that I could once enjoy.

Despite arguing against a couple of your points, I do agree with the main thing you're saying - the current restriction simply is not fair, and the sooner this hopefully gets sorted so it returns to a simple height restriction the better. However, you say about being embarrassed at being turned away; that is unfortunately of your own doing. If you knew the restriction prior to the visit (which I assume you did?) or read the sign outside the entrance (again, presuming there still is one), you'd have known not to go try the ride.

I didn't know the rule prior to going, I went and saw the sign, but was confronted by the most arrogant of staff members, who gave me no reason apart from a quick flash of his finger to the sign! Which I thought was simply pig ignorance!

To be simply honest its age discrimintation, and theres nothing more too it, to put it into comparison, Thorpe could deny entry to all youths, because they are sterotypically the ones who carry knives, spit swear and cause havoc as an example.

Its not my fault that I am 16, and I do not think I should be punished because of other youths in my age brackets, pig ignorance!

I don't wan't to cause a fight over it, but its not fair.

To be turned away from a ride that I have ridden more than I can remember, is a real 'head-down' moment, because it made me feel crap, because they think that I am going to cause trouble, yet I want to work within the Merlin business!

My apologises; I just assumed that being on here, you may well have come across the rule.. :P

To be honest, everything you're saying about how unfair the rule is echoes the comments of many people (on here and elsewhere), and there's nothing else I have to add to that really.. XD

• 4 weeks later...

So how long has this age restriction been lifted?

Saw no sign there yesterday, and everyone of all ages was free to go on. No changes seem to have occurred, though the operator was telling people to sit down more often (though, more likely because there were silly people standing up / changed seats than a change...)

Woo for the restriction being lifted. Many have been quick to shoot Thorpe down for putting it in place, but it seems the lifting of it has just been ignored...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

There are lots of water effects which don't work on the rapids, add it to the long maintenance list Thorpe...

For every effect which doesn't work, takes a little something away from your day out, but Thorpe don't seem to fix things when they go wrong.

Its laughable, people who go to the Towers complain that there is no colour dye in the water at Nemesis, people who go to Thorpe don't even get water on the drop on loggers or water effects on a water ride! LOL