Rumba Rapids

Ash

not on... ok

Do we know the reason or is it because somebody got wet on a water ride and complained?

There seems to be so much inconstancy with the effects on most of the rides at Thorpe, you go on Youtube and see effects and think "That didn't work when I was on there, to think of it, that effect has not worked all year"

• 6 months later...

Not sure whether it has been covered somewhere else but have parts of the Rumba Rapids queueline received a lick of paint this season? I couldn't help notice some parts looked alot fresher and brighter than others. Whatever the case, it looks great. Hope the rest of the line can follow suit in the not so distant future.

I really wish they'd get rid of this ride now. With 3 other water rides in the park, it's the oldest and least favourite of mine, OK I know some people still enjoy it but I don't.

And yes, I am saying that I prefer Storm Surge.

[/seriousness]

I doubt this will be removed any time soon, it's a classic, they can't remove their water rapids :unsure:

I really wish they'd get rid of this ride now. With 3 other water rides in the park, it's the oldest and least favourite of mine, OK I know some people still enjoy it but I don't.

[/seriousness]

I'm sorry but rumba is way better than storm surge...

All thorpe need to do is actually make the ride experience better. The effects should be turned on etc. and then the ride would be absolutely fine. If the water jets were turned on it would be great and if the mini- waterfall when you entered the tunnel work it would make the ride SO much better. I would also like the front- end of the tunnel to be improved as its general appearance is slightly lacking...

Storm Surge is Definately the worst ride at Thorpe. Even rangers carousel is slightly better :P. As for Rumba due to it being a stape themepark ride and being built on a concrete axe, I can't see it being removed for 7 years at the very least.

What needs to appen with Rumba is the theming and everything needs to be completely stripped down and then returned to a more adventurous ride. Increasing the water flow, more interactive elements and an interesting feature in the tunnel (also a lick of pain too) and that in my view would already make the ride much better.

They turned it off because people complained they were getting too wet? That's disgraceful, how dare they get you wet on a water ride.

It was just a cheap shot at getting people wet. Same with the hoses before the lifthill. The water tower also made a lot of people stand up to try and avoid it, thus very dangerous. I have the same opinion with the showers at the end of The Flume at Alton... they are just annoying.

I quite like it, it's nice and pleasant. The problem I have generally with rapids is that when they get you wet, they get you soaked (Popeye at islands of adventure for example). Nothing wrong with a gentle little tour of the back of the park.

Agree with this completely. I'm not a big fan of water rides in general - maybe in a nice hot sunny country, but not in grey & cold England. I enjoy the ride after lunch as a nice tour along the river with mild risk of a splash before hitting the coasters again.

As most people would agree, they just need to sort out the themeing.

This year it does feel slightly faster and rougher to me, especially the little wave pool area. It is flowing nicely.

It's a great little ride and other than a bit of love to the tunnel and queue line it is pretty much fine as it is.

Also...
From the thread titled 'Thorpes best water ride'

As I've much I've slated it lately, I'd choose Rumba. Even if it is in a dire state, the blink-and-you'll-miss-it length of the ride, and the ride experience generally, is still fun.

And then today

[/seriousness]

What you on?

As it is, Rumba needs a bit of TLC. The cave feels like a bit of a mess, needs some sorting out. Then just some form of water effect during the ride apart from the tunnel and the finale; nothing too extreme, just a bit of fun.

I do enjoy Rumba and is one of the few rides left of park where you can simply enjoy it with a group of people. It just needs a bit of work to be brought up to standard. Seeing the touch ups and improvements made this season, I'd hope that in the next year or two, we could see something of some substance.

Now they've 'refurbished' X I think thorpe should concentrate on rumba rapids as their next refurbishment project, it's completely falling appart. I've grown up with that ride, and had some really good times on it I don't think it should be removed purely as it's an 'old time attraction' just refurbished to a high extent. I went on a rapids ride in the states and that was completely crazy, it was absurdly fast and violent, the theming was great the ride featured huge cascading waterfalls that the boat goes under and which gets you completely soaked, thorpe should do something like that, but without the extreme water effects.

That was just after it opened. I don't think they toned it down as such, just removed a rock in the middle of the flow just before the tunnel which had caused a kid to fly out of his boat and slice his ear off when he struck it.

As far as I know it has been basically the same ever since, I've not noticed any significant difference over the years. Roughness isn't something that can be changed that much

This ride should stay, it needs a major refurb, but I believe all water effects should be operational, but they should be switched on at the right time of the year. For example when its 1 degrees, you don't need or want the water squirter switched on like the other week, but when its hot and sunny you don't want all water features switched off either.

I also think it would be good to have music playing as you went round the ride too