Quantum

Dan_Rush

• 5 months later...

Figured I'd reignite this topic slightly and confirm something suspected for a while.

Some may have noticed for a few years now that there is always a single entire row of empty seats on Quantum which are never used during operation and at first, I always believed they were broken restraints, but after the experience I had on 31st October, the staff operating it confirmed after I pointed it out they were closed off to allow themselves to cross from one side of the platform to the other. Since only two operate the either ride now instead of three usually, the batching area is left unmanned during the ride's operation, hence why they are never used anymore these days.

Usually I've had no problem with this and realise of course more staff = more costs, but given it reeeeeeealy slowed everything down and there was so much faff involved that evening, it's times like that I wish the batching gates were used once again with an additional staff member to speed things up on both sides of the platform during loading/unloading. Once can hope it can be run like this once again!

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
4 hours ago, Coaster said:

It's a pretty poor situation considering the Merlin parks have already lost a lot of flat rides, that we now have;

Thorpe - Quantum

Chessington - Black Buccaneer

Alton - Enterprise

All either mothballed/not ready to open almost halfway through May.

It's pretty fascinating how quickly we're losing all the flat rides at the moment. A lot of people want more flat rides but the more we lose, the more I think our lord and masters just don't want them in their theme parks.

Quantum required significant work and changes over the winter period. These weren't planned and came a bit out of the blue. As has been noted, the ride is notably being put back together, but there's still a lot to do. This is different to situations like Black Buccaneer, Ripsaw, etc, where something needed to happen and money wasn't spent and it was just closed.

It's obviously poor that it isn't ready, especially at a time when this is more common within Merlin. If this was uncommon, people would be a lot more forgiving (a bit like when Quantum didn't open until August one year like 12 years ago).

But in fairness, the park are doing something and spending money to get Quantum sorted. It's just taking a long time.

13 hours ago, JoshC. said:

Quantum required significant work and changes over the winter period. These weren't planned and came a bit out of the blue. As has been noted, the ride is notably being put back together, but there's still a lot to do. This is different to situations like Black Buccaneer, Ripsaw, etc, where something needed to happen and money wasn't spent and it was just closed.

It's obviously poor that it isn't ready, especially at a time when this is more common within Merlin. If this was uncommon, people would be a lot more forgiving (a bit like when Quantum didn't open until August one year like 12 years ago).

But in fairness, the park are doing something and spending money to get Quantum sorted. It's just taking a long time.

Quantum needed a new made to order gearbox I believe in 2007, the delay was beyond the parks control as the lead time for the part was over 6momths.

Flat rides have seemingly been neglected by Merlin recently, quantum is just the tip of the iceberg..

Merlin don't seem bothered to add them either.. Flat rides give such good support so I really don't understand why Merlin aren't investing in any for their parks at the moment..

Its really a shame Quantum is taking so long to open, though I guess it doesn't seem hopeless like Black Buccaneer or Enterprise (rip)..

I really think Merlin need to get their sh** together with their flat rides. Maintain your current ones properly and add in new flats, flat rides can draw in guests and aren't expensive to build.. Its that simple..

Flat rides probably don't draw in guests. For Merlin's rediculously high rate of return targets its pretty clear why very few flat rides are built. They cant sell them as a world's first so they stick a bunch of actors to them to make them an "experience" which in turn leads to negative feedback due to the low throughput and the attraction being inconsistent. So they now have an expensive to run actor led experience that will last 1-3 years.

This phenomenon is bad for the park but is being made significantly worse by the fact that the old flat rides have come to the end of their life. They need replacing. Which means instead of just all new attractions being inadequate and short lived, replacement ones now suffer the same fate. 

• 3 weeks later...