Tips for travel

subculturehero

Express parking is £15 ( a rip off) but is right next to the entrance, otherwise yes it's a long journey to the car parks which cost £5 anyway unless you have an annual pass.You do then have to take the monorail and every single time I've ever been the Monorail has been open first thing, I've never had to walk.The monorail then drops you off literally straight outside the entrance. Hex will not be what you expect it to be , lol. :) In my opinion it's the best dark ride in the UK ( not that there's many of them) but I wouldn't describe it as "fun" ! If your staying at the hotel, there is a path to the hotels which saves you going back to the entrance/exit, however this is only if you are a hotel guest otherwise it's a long way back to the entrance.Another tip , get there as early as possible, for example, if you have an annual pass or have pre-booked, then get there even before 9 ( only like 5/10 mins) to be the first and your already ahead of everyone, if your not and you can't get in till 10, get there again , 5/10 mins before 10. There was another big tip which I've just forgotten but it'll come back to me :)

Thanks to James and Keith from me, for spending the time writing all of these tips. I haven't been to Alton Towers for years, and it has been very interesting and helpful reading all of this great advice!

Same, thanks from me, these point prove to be very useful!

No problem, It's been quite refreshing thinking about the Towers and facts/tips again, I've surprised myself! Ha :)I'm just glad people have enjoyed them and it's helped people and I'm sure Keith feels the same :)

Enter through the turnstiles like normal, and probably even general guests will be as well, but at the bottom of towers street, you are held there till 10 ( opening for the general public) but just show your annual pass to the staff guarding the chains and they'll let you through anytime between 9 and 10, you can then go to whereever you want in the park before everyone else.

To clarify your response, I enter through the turnstiles at 9:00am and head down to the end of/bottom of Towers Street. Then I flash my pass at the staff at the chains and they let me through to anywhere in the park.I am guessing that when ERT ends at 10, you just continue as normal and the rides will get busier with more normal guests filtering in?

I am also from East Sussex.It will take about 3 hours drive to Alton Towers won't it?Lets hope traffic is on your side.Last time I went, it took me 6 hours as there was an accident on the M25 and major roadworks on the M1.

I'm under the impression that the roadworks on the M1 are now finished, yet there are some on the M25 around Heathrow, so the approach to the M1 could be interesting.I'm from Surrey. Usually it takes me about 3 hours to get to Alton Towers, this includes stops. When I went last October the roadworks on the M1 were still there. From joining the M25 at Leatherhead, without any stops, it took me 2 hours and 20 minutes to get to Uttoxeter.Easy. This journey was on a Saturday morning, with me leaving at 6:00am.

To clarify your response, I enter through the turnstiles at 9:00am and head down to the end of/bottom of Towers Street. Then I flash my pass at the staff at the chains and they let me through to anywhere in the park.I am guessing that when ERT ends at 10, you just continue as normal and the rides will get busier with more normal guests filtering in?

Yes that is exactly what happened during the Summer/ busy period, I think at quieter times of the year they only let Annual Pass holder through at the turnstiles until 10. And yes when ERT ends you carry about your way as usual, as Alton Towers is so big you usually get an extra 15 mins or so if your at Forbidden Valley for example, before the general public have caught up. :) ( 10 mins if they're a surprisngly fit bunch that day :) )

Yes you are correct, £15 is ridiculous, a couple of seasons ago it was £7 which was worth it, annual pass holders should at least get money off.

Annual Pass Holders get Express Parking for £10. :) To confirm the ERT situation, you're let in at 9am. Then you're allowed on selected rides until 10am, when the rest of the rides open (bar The Flume & CRR) and other guests stampede into the park. :)

Those roadworks on the M25 at J17 are an absolute bitch and have added queues to where there were no queues before. When I last drove to Alton Towers it took me 2 and a half hours to get from Junction 9 of the M25 to the M1... Usually it takes half an hour.. so yeah watch out for the roadworks.Shame on you Themeparkbloke, not taking a driving break :)

This post has proven to be extremely useful to me and anyone else going to the park soon.So thanks everyone who has participated in this topic.I'm planning to leave at 7am in the morning - stick the cruise control on and let the car do the rest!!Mark 9 - The roadworks you mention on the M25 - are they recent?ST

Shame on you Themeparkbloke, not taking a driving break :P

I did to:A: Keep going and not stop (get there ASAP)B: Not get ripped off at motorway services.I did drink 2 bottles of Ribena on the way, and by the time I left the M1 and joined the A50, I had one hand on the wheel, and the other...well, down there. :D I arrived at my destination, and sprinted into a nearby restaurant to use the facilities! That'll teach me!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone,Just to let you know I'm back from my birthday trip to Staffordshire.My girlfriend and I had a wonderful time at Alton Towers - the place was empty!!Enjoyed all the rides espeically Hex (weird but well themed) and Air (my girlfriend couldn't get enough of this ride!).Got a few onboard photos and a Oblivion hoddy that looks great! Ended up doing 2 laps of the park - longest que was 15 mins for Rita.Unfortunately my Oblivion photo was damaged coming home to Sussex :) I can save the photo but the card frame is bent and torn, I would like to get a replacement card frame, any ideas how to? Such a shame for this to happen - Had such a great day!Thanks for all the tips, really made the day successful - cant wait to go again!ST

Thats great to hear you had an excellent time and that everyone's tips helped :)It is really helpful to have some guidance, especcially on your first time.About the card frame thing, I would simply send a letter to them telling them how good a day you had mentioning all the little details and how you can't wait to go back, then at the end that your distraught your photo got damaged and was wondering if another could be sent.That is what I would do :)Good luck.

• 1 year later...

My two Tips are:Do not plan what ride you are going to (It never works)And go to biggest to smallest to biggest e.g Thirteen to CATCF To Air then you will have time to get on all the ride you want without waiting to long for the rollercoaster's :(

Your tips are both terrible.

And go to biggest to smallest to biggest e.g Thirteen to CATCF To Air then you will have time to get on all the ride you want without waiting to long for the rollercoaster's :(

Usually I just do all the rides in one area then move on to the next one.Also, take a walk through the gardens. They are very nice.

I would say (and this is if you don't have ERT). Head straight to Air, then do Nemesis, Ripsaw, Blade, Duel, RMT, then hit Rapids as they open, Flume, Lunch. After lunch Mutiny Bay, Sonic spinball, Oblivion, Submission, enterprise, Hex, Charlie, Toadstool, Rita, Th13teen. With ERT do Spinball as soon as you get in, then Oblivion, then head over to Nemesis / Air (if you get to Forbidden Valley before 10 do Nemesis before Air as Nemesis will be open ;) ). ;)

• 4 months later...