Closed Rides

Ash

Not a wholly shocking or surprising move, but there's something about staggered openings in a park of Thorpe's size that I just don't really like to be honest.

The park did staggered openings on some of the quieter rides a couple of years ago if I remember correctly; the idea didn't seem too popular and didn't last too long either..  Will be interesting to see how this goes down.

I hope that the queue times website is wrong at the moment...  11 rides closed!

It's showing Depth Charge, Logger's Leap, Rocky Express, Rumba Rapids, Samurai, Saw, Slammer, Stealth, Storm Surge, The Swarm and Tidal Wave all as being closed.

Staggered openings don't work if you can't even get the other rides open!  :rolleyes:

I was on park today.  Depth Charge opened late due to a fault which was dealt with quickly (worth noting that the queue board said it was meant to open at 10).  Stealth seemed to be having troubles in the morning but opened before 12 I believe.  Whenever I was near Colossus, it was running fine.  Slammer seemed to have a lot of trouble during the day however.  The other rides above listed as closed opened at 11 and ran fine during the day.

The spread of people during the morning saw most people go to Swarm or Inferno and then spread around afterwards.  Once Stealth opened that saw a lot of people go to it, naturally.  Colossus see-sawed a lot between short and long queues, which I found unusual.  The queue boards seemed quite inaccurate at a lot of points - Colossus stated a 40 minute queue at one point when it couldn't have been longer than 15 or 20.  Samurai was sporting a 50 minute queue when it was about 10.  Rush's queue never seemed longer than 15 minutes either.  

It was certainly a weird day for queues on park.  The first hour wasn't helped by having Stealth out of action, and the usually reliable Depth Charge (the first ride you see) being fenced off.  Not to mention school trips are coming in thick and fast and Saw being closed and fenced off make it feel a lot worse than it actually was to be honest.

• 4 weeks later...

I understand where Jamie is coming from as I used to be in that mind set but I just stopped visiting as much. What was once 15-20 times a year is now 2 or 3. Get yourself out to one of the better parks and then you will see what Thorpe is. Then just visit less and save to go see more of the better ones. It may seem odd and something you don't want to do. You still get an adrenaline fix and don't have to put up with Merlin.

We have visited thorpe atleast 30 times this year and today has deffo been the worst so many shutdowns and evacs today. Tidal shut down as 2 boats ended up in one block on the lift hill evac, loggers evac, storm surge opened around 1 along with stealth. Detonator got stuck half way up. Rush is one swing which gives it the longes queue on park. I accept the park cant help much of this in terms of planning its just a pain

I really don't understand the whole bash merlin at every opportunity on here.

Has anyone considered that they actually do know what they are doing and are a hugely successful company for a reason? Just because there are better parks elsewhere across the world don't mean that they would be a sucsess in the UK's industry.

I'm not bashing Marc just saying I know why shutdowns happen, but its not great for customers and a day out overall. Thorpe has been so much better the past couple of years just today has been an off day

Wasn't really aimed at you or anyone in particular!

We know shutdowns happen and always will do - generally Thorpes reliability is pretty good over recent years (apart from Samurai!)

And then we wonder why you visit so much...

Post of the year. No. Make that, post of the decade.

I really don't understand the whole bash merlin at every opportunity on here.

Has anyone considered that they actually do know what they are doing and are a hugely successful company for a reason? Just because there are better parks elsewhere across the world don't mean that they would be a sucsess in the UK's industry.

What makes the UK industry so special then Marc? From my viewpoint it's in the biggest lull that it's ever been in. Besides, the only reason people are suggesting go to other parks is because people Merlin bashing are also the ones going seemingly just to moan about the state of things.