Closed Rides

Ash

'Tidal Waves broken its lift chain'

SHOULD BE OPEN ANYWAY, EVEN IF THE BOATS CANT GET TO THE TOP

So that's what happened with Tidal?  I can understand the closure in that case, however that's still no excuse for it to be closed for as long as it has been - I've seen lift chain snaps dealt with quickly and the ride in question re-open within two days (not at Thorpe I might add).

'Fury's stalled'

SHOULD BE OPEN ANYWAY, EVEN IF IT MEANS CARS GET STUCK AT THE BLOCKS

Where have I commented on Fury stalling?

Hulk has had the majority of its track removed for a massive refurbishment'

IT SHOULD BE OPEN ANYWAY, EVEN IF THERE IS NO TRACK FOR THE TRAIN TO GO ALONG

Again, where have I said this?  Hulk is having a planned refurbishment, and I don't recall saying "it should be open" so you're making that up.

Do you know how stupid, 'it should be open' sounds? We don't know why Stealth is closed, it might reopen in a few days time, in the same way that Slammer was supposed to be out for the rest of the year. 

Not half as stupid as quoting posts that I have never made makes you look.

You also praised Drayton for extending their opening hours, I'd just like to add Thorpe did this on Saturday as well. :)

I wasn't aware of that, but good move by Thorpe!

He never said that you said that, what he was getting at was that the constant moaning from you and others about how things should be open when you have no clue what is causing said problems and how they are affecting the ride. Like they would actually close a ride for the sake of it and if it was just a chain lift snap, just because it takes 1 park two days to fix it doesn't mean another can do the same, some have to, you know, find parts. It just comes across as clutching at straws to moan about a park. And before you say yes I know you complemented the park at the end of your post and that is fine. However most of your points are just moaning about how crap Thorpe have handled a situation whereas in such and such park they do things much better. Its just withering on some members now.

No one knows the decision to close Stealth. I doubt it's budget because it's Stealth. If it could be open it would be as it's the icon. I also doubt they'd close it early to get it ready for February half term as one we've no idea if that's even happening and two Stealth has a train that is already fully stripped and would be ready fairly soon. Could be something mechanical that has reached the end of its life, maybe the cable can't run another week. Who knows. But the fact they didn't tell us ages ago so we could get the last train of stealth for the year isn't an issue. It's a ride, it is closed, Thorpe are telling people this now as it is now closed. Maybe it was only decided this previous week or few days? We just don't know.

That has to be one of the most stupid comments I have ever read on this site.

Yeah it is, but if there wasn't such a ridiculous overreaction over an offhand comment of "I wanted to get on the last train of the season" then I wouldn't have posted it!

I mean seriously? If those complaining about my post turned up at another park to find the signature ride closed you would be annoyed (not everyone checks the website before visiting), but somehow it's okay because it is at Thorpe "can do no wrong" Park.

Also I don't get why people are saying "they're not closing it to annoy you.". Of course they're not, did I ever say they were? People have different views on what is/isn't acceptable but I don't bombard people with rubbish when they say something I disagree with; for example "U OK HUN" - what a load of complete tosh!

No one is saying the closure of Stealth is not a bad thing and no one is saying that Thorpe can't do no wrong. However, there is an understanding on here that Thorpe haven't closed it to save money (why would they - there's other ways to save money!). So there's obviously a worthwhile reason for it to be closed. Given that Thorpe aren't having the greatest of seasons and they're driven by getting good KPIs, they probably want Stealth open a lot more than what any of us on here do.

Personally, I'm annoyed that it's closed and I think it would have been better if it was better advertised that it would close early. However, its closure is likely unavoidable, so it's one of those times were we all just have to take the hit. I'll still be visiting.

Yeah it is, but if there wasn't such a ridiculous overreaction over an offhand comment of "I wanted to get on the last train of the season" then I wouldn't have posted it!

I mean seriously? If those complaining about my post turned up at another park to find the signature ride closed you would be annoyed (not everyone checks the website before visiting), but somehow it's okay because it is at Thorpe "can do no wrong" Park.

Also I don't get why people are saying "they're not closing it to annoy you.". Of course they're not, did I ever say they were? People have different views on what is/isn't acceptable but I don't bombard people with rubbish when they say something I disagree with; for example "U OK HUN" - what a load of complete tosh!

You're still going to visit Jamie, so what's the point in even making such comments in the first place?

Worse things happen at sea than Stealth being closed... Imagine a park announcing it'll be closing a ride for good a week before you're due to visit (Son of Beast for me)!

That was distressing, a missed cred for crying out loud! I couldn't even enjoy that trip because it affected me so much, and then Alpengeist was closed as well to make things worse!

- We're either a forum that is too biased towards Thorpe or one that is too negative. It's funny, we've been accused of both. What you aren't doing is being constructive. It's all 'I wanted the last train' and 'rides should always be open'. Majority of members here like Josh C aren't happy Stealth is closed but understand that there is a reason for its closure.

- Many times I've been to theme parks and their signature rides have been closed. I shrug it off, it's out of my control and I move on. Turned up to DLP with Space Mountain and Thunder Mountain unexpectedly closed all day and just got on with it as there are many more important things to worry about. The vast majority of paying guests do the same.

Ive been to Thorpe before when Stealths been closed, but still had s good day. Went to Chessie many years ago where Fury was the same yet still had a good day. Even on my previous trip to Blackpool, when Big One (some could argue is their iconic ride) was closed all day due to wind (the big one), yet still had a good day.

Though closed rides are a massive hassle, they don't necessarily ruin days out at parks (depending on the date of visit) as there's often lots to see and visit. DLP in 2016 however is another kettle of fish (considering three major rides will be closed all year and a further five or six supporting attractions also closing in the year. One must also remember than Stealth has been running longer than most of the rides there too having been open for Feb half term too.

Will I be visiting Thorpe this weekend? No

But there's a good reason behind that and it certainly is not Stealth (mcXVI)

- We're either a forum that is too biased towards Thorpe or one that is too negative. It's funny, we've been accused of both. What you aren't doing is being constructive. It's all 'I wanted the last train' and 'rides should always be open'. Majority of members here like Josh C aren't happy Stealth is closed but understand that there is a reason for its closure.

- Many times I've been to theme parks and their signature rides have been closed. I shrug it off, it's out of my control and I move on. Turned up to DLP with Space Mountain and Thunder Mountain unexpectedly closed all day and just got on with it as there are many more important things to worry about. The vast majority of paying guests do the same.

56415104.jpg

Well I did my annual trip to Thorpe on Monday and Tuesday,

got a couple of dozen rides in a nearly empty park with good company and friendly staff,

but cried all the (250 miles) way home 'cos Stealth was closed.

And we managed Bouncebacks on a free Sun reader ticket thanks to advice from you lovely people on here.

And good to see you have finally got over ride closures Jamie ;) .

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...