Closed Rides

Ash

• 2 weeks later...

Considering Thursdays are statistically the parks busiest day of the week.. nope. School trips tend to be on monday, thurs or fri by the looks of things.

yh my sister went to Thorpe on Wednesday last year for a school trip and it was literally walk-on for every ride, I had to go on a thursday and I only got on Detonator, Colossus, and Vortex but I got free fastracks from my teachers so I managed to get on X:\No Way Out and Tidal Wave aswell ;)

I only got on Detonator, Colossus, and Vortex but I got free fastracks from my teachers so I managed to get on X:\No Way Out and Tidal Wave aswell ;)

So, you actually "only got on" detonator, Colossus, vortex, X and Tidal wave.. 5 rides for 5hrs or so.. pretty decent for thorpe.

hey, I went yesterday, and to be honest wasnt overly impressed. fair enough to thorpe because they advertised Colossus and rush as being closed both on the website and also at the entrance to the park, but when in the park found that stealth was also closed and loggers leap didnt open till mid morning and even when it did open the belts on the lift hill stopped. but all these ride closures meant that the queues that the closed rides would usually have were round the park making you wait even longer for everything. but to be fair we never had to wait more than an hour, I think the max was about 50 minutes for nemesis inferno.as far as I could see there was no real problem with Colossus, I think it was mainly the fact that they're replacing some of the wooden structures above the queueline, but stealth just sat in the station all day with nobody doing anything. but it was actually nice to finally see a ride being fixed, as there were men working on rush all day, and towards the end had it even had the weighted test dummies in the seats.but after going to guest services, Colossus is to remain closed until the queueline repairs have been finished, and with rush, if all is well, might be due to re-open soon.but anyway, was a good day all in all considering 3 of the major rides were closed =[

So, you actually "only got on" detonator, Colossus, vortex, X and Tidal wave.. 5 rides for 5hrs or so.. pretty decent for thorpe.

we only had four hours at Thorpe (bus journey totaling 6 hours) but that was cuz I had fastracks for Tidal Wave and X:\No Way Out cuz the teachers bought them for me :)

How do you know they weren't fixing Stealth just because you couldn't see anything?

well, if you dont see anyone around the ride it kind of hints that theres nothing going on, because on rush there must have been atleast 10 people working on different aspects of the ride, I never saw 1 person working on stealth the whole day. also, I never got a valid reason for why stealth was closed, it seemed every member of staff I asked had a different reason or assumption?

They could have been in the winch room, in the station, or anywhere where Stealth can be controlled or they could have been simply waiting for something. They don't have to be holding a spanner or hammer and hitting something for it to be being fixed.

One other thing you have to remember though in general (and I know it won't happen as we are in the UK). Good point in the fact you don't need to see people for them to be fixing a ride - but in the bigger picture, shall we say you go to another park, outside the UK or if it's with the UK a smaller park, probably family run - the park makes a big effort to get the rides up and running again as soon as possible and even though you may see no one, you know work is being done. The usual case that seems to happen round though is that if a ride is closed, there doesn't seem to be a rush/ effort to get the ride up and running again and it can just make the ride look dormant.Fair enough if a ride needs to wait for a replacement part, nothing can be helped - but some of these parks it happens a bit to often for that excuse/ reason to be used all the time, there are still times when there is no replacement being waited but still, the ride looks dormant/ taking it's time to get it working again.

I understand where your coming from but the thing that really bugged me was that I wasnt given a reason why it was closed, everyone seemed to say 'should be open later'?

We are all very curious people on wanting to know why it is closed, but you must remember that the attendants passing on this message usually don't know why the ride is closed themselves and are merely the messengers, and even if they did they're not supposed to say to the public the true reason why it's closed because some Joe public may take it the wrong way and think it's a serious problem, when it's not, which in turn puts a negative spin on things for the ride and the park depending on how it's perceived.