The Blade

Sam P

I hope to Towers the ride is only going through extensive maintenance rather than removal/demolition.

I know it's one of the oldest rides and not the best swinging shop, but it's loss would leave just Enterprise as the last thrilling flat. 

Towers need a few more flat rides, if not major support attractions aside from the coasters.

The park definitely needs all the flats they can get, but I wouldn't go as far to say they don't care..

I think the park is focusing more on the families recently with constant Cbeebies Land expansions..

The park is struggling, they receive nearly monthly beatings in the media, but hopefully this will calm down as time goes by.

Merlin may have not dealt with it ideally, but I think me bashing Merlin now would be like beating a dead horse..

6 hours ago, pluk said:

Blade I'd utter garbage and I struggle to understand why anyone cares whether it stays.

I like pirate ships, but this one has no force behind it somehow. 

I think it's more the case of the park possibly losing another flat/support ride rather than Blade actually being any good.

In just three years, Towers have gone down from four major flats to just one (if Blade does go). 

The park in it's current state really lacks support rides as outside the coasters and Beeb land, there's only two water rides, two dark rides (at most), teacups, a chair swing, a transport ride, Ice age and an ageing enterprise remaining. 

Let's not pretend that Submission and Ripsaw were ever considered major flats... Rewriting history is not a good choice from this perspective... I can't even remember what other major flat has even been removed in the past few years either...

Towers has never been the best for support rides anyway, even when Dynamo and Boneshaker existed...

It used to have masses of flavour of the month flat rides, as you say since 2005 its flat rides have never been the main draw of going to Towers and were never any good as support rides. I don't think Blade will go anyway and I'd be surprised if Hex doesn't re-open next year either.

I don't rate Blade but removal without replacement would still be awful IMO.

Flat rides help alleviate crowds during busy times, which IMO should be a priority for theme parks, especially at a park like Alton Towers which is set out in several different areas with large gaps between them - the park is very nearly at a situation now where each area only houses two coasters (Smiler & Oblivion, Nemesis & Air, Thirteen & Rita) with no nearby rides to soak up the queues during busy times.  Blade closing would just add insult to injury at this point.

Also, from an enjoyment point of view there's no substance to the park anymore, whilst there are still a few support rides the bulk of flats/water/dark rides are closed, and IMO it's just tedious to get to an area to find just a couple of rides, all with long queues, and if one of them goes down then it'll just be chaos.

• 2 years later...