The Blade

Sam P

I think the one at chessington and Voodoo at Flamingo Land are better than Blade tbh :s Blade is quite a thrill but next to Ripsaw and Nemesis it just doesn't filter through as a 'Hardcore' ride. Whereas Voodoo and the one at chessington (arg I'm so stupid I cannot remember the name for the life of me :o) is better IMO.

• 2 months later...

In all honesty, I think Blade has been a lot better this year. This is probably because the park replaced the tyre at the end of the 2008 season, so this year it has been swinging higher. It still doesn't even compete with Black Buccaneer though. :)

• 1 month later...

In all honesty, I think Blade has been a lot better this year. This is probably because the park replaced the tyre at the end of the 2008 season, so this year it has been swinging higher. It still doesn't even compete with Black Buccaneer though. :P

I Love Swinging Ships. Such a feeling in your stomach (Especially at the back) :)

• 5 years later...

Hmmmmmmmm

Lots of trees being removed around the Forbidden Valley, Blade no longer listed on ERT, Blade no longer the map.

Sounds like Blade is going to me, plus it would sound most likely SW8 would be built (atleast partly) on the site of this ride (and Ripsaw), seeing that they have to be very clever these days to get anything granted (unless it's lucky enough to be an area where planning isn't needed), especially as the park has its a share of 'local' haters and gets pressurised more and more of the need for a relief road to the park every year.

Can see this season being Ripsaw's last as SW8 is planned for 2017 and next year will likely be a construction site.

Since Ripsaw is still operating then it's highly unlikely that Blade really needs to go just yet.  I don't expect that area to be closed until part way through the 2016 season (at the earliest).  They probably don't want to start construction in FV itself until they absolutely have to due to the disruption it would cause.

If that is the case, then the reason for Blade's closure is almost certainly financial, either to shave some money off the operations budget or faults were found with the ride that were deemed too expensive to rectify.

Why are the cuts necessary?  They make more than enough profit to operate everything so I can't see how they can justify it.  This is what I don't like about Towers, as soon as a ride fails to get 60 minute queues on a regular basis they either SBNO or remove them!  Rides aren't going to stay hugely popular forever, but that doesn't mean that they aren't a fundamental part of the lineup.  I can see them getting complaints about this, especially in the summer as there will now be one less ride in the area to cope with the crowds.