Phill

What is your orientation?  

257 members have voted

1. 1. What is your orientation?

• Straight
    • Gay
    • Bisexual
    • Unsure

I really hope one day 'coming out' doesn't have to be a thing..

And even to this day, some of the reactions are shocking, especially after binge watching a bunch of coming out videos.. (pfft I was bored!)

I think schools should do more on the subject, from my experience nothing about LGBT has really been said/taught.

Meaning a lot of people to this day are still ignorant on the matter..

That there are videos kinda says to me that there's TOO big a deal made around it... Like, do you need to film yourself coming out?

Schools could probably do a lot more on it, though I sense it would be a difficult subject to teach in general, especially given the current quality of sex education...

Think yourselves lucky, back in the day sex education amounted to a 5 minute video of a birth and one go at putting a condom on a cucumber and any mention of gay got the **** beaten out of you or your fingers smacked by the cain.

I don't agree with 8 year olds being given sex education, especially lbgt stuff, they should wait until the kids are old enough to say the word without dissolving into fits of giggles first, but schools should do more since most of my generation can't even acknowledge sexuality let alone talk about it.

If sex education is given it shouldn't just be hetronormative? Teaching kids about LGBTQ+ at a young age encourages them not to be ashamed by it or confused. Luckily in my school we were taught about LBGT stuff alongside hetrosexual things so we never used to question it. Lots of people I know who didn't attend my primary school wished they were taught about that at a young age so it made them feel like they were involved. I'm not saying show the whole *sex* side to it at primary school ages, but showing relationships and how they develop is extremely important within growth... 

4 hours ago, Benin said:

That there are videos kinda says to me that there's TOO big a deal made around it... Like, do you need to film yourself coming out?

In a word yes. The more being LGBTQ+ is normalised (and I hate saying the word normal in this context), the more coming out will no longer need to be a thing that anyone will need to do. When Tom Daley had his video a few years back, that was a moment when suddenly a real influential, young role model was out in public and I think thats the moment when these videos became more and more popular. I think its a good thing personally because a lot of things straight people don't realise is that gay people are always coming out. Whether thats to their parents, work colleagues, new friends. It's a never ending process.

11 hours ago, Amarghh said:

If sex educatndiven it shouldn't just bshouldn'trmative? Teaching kids about. LGBTQ+ at a young age encourages them not to be ashamed by it or confused. Luckily in my school we were taught about LBGT stuff alongside hetrosexual things so we never used to question it. Lots of people I know who didn't attend my primary school wished they were taught about that at a young age so it made them feel like they were involved. I'm not saying show the whole *sex* side to it at primary school ages, but showing relationships and how they develop is extremely important within growth... 

I said sex education as a whole shouldn't be taught to 6-8 year olds (the present proposals), not that LGBT stuff shoukdn't.

When/if you have kids that age, you'll understand

11 minutes ago, Ian-S said:

I said sex education as a whole shouldn't be taught to 6-8 year olds (the present proposals), not that LGBT stuff shoukdn't.

When/if you have kids that age, you'll understand

I think the problem was where you said " especially lbgt stuff "

No need to be so condescending.

2 hours ago, Ryan said:

I think the problem was where you said " especially lbgt stufunderstandingto be condensing,s

There is no need for a child of six or eight to be educated in the ins and outs of lgbt before they even know the basics, start with the basics and move on after they understand that.

Having a different opinion is not being condesending, perhaps if people were less inclined to get offended at every little comment before understandinh, there may not be so many problems.

23 minutes ago, Ian-S said:

There is no need for a child of six or eight to be educated in the ins and outs of lgbt before they even know the basics, start with the basics and move on after they understand that.

Having a different opinion is not being condesending, perhaps if people were less inclined to get offended at every little comment before understandinh, there may not be so many problems.

" When/if you have kids that age, you'll understand "

That was the bit that came across condescending, not your different opinion. 

Ah now I get you, although I still don't get why you would find that condescending, to me it's just a statement of fact, no different from telling someone that doesn't drive who cannot comprehend the freedom it affords, that when they pass the test, they'll understand better why people like driving.

It's quiet literally meant as it sounds, when you have kids that age yourself it may be easier for you to understand why a lot of people disagree that lowering the age of sex education is a good thing, it's not meaning "nah nah I have kids you don't so keep you opinions to yourself".

Being slightly older at the ripe old age of 33 - when discussing TPM with my other half, I was saying how bloody brilliant it is that the younger members on here are so cool and fluid with what sexuality they are or might be, and so open about it, it's incredibly refreshing to see how different it appears to be now vs. when I was in school in the late 90s - I'm not saying that there isn't homophobia and hate at school/college/life any more - nor am I saying that my school was particularly vilifying against it at the time - but just comments on here in general and being so open about sexuality is awesome :) Or to put it as posted previously - it's great that it's not becoming a "thing" anymore, that's how it should be.

3 hours ago, Amarghh said:

You made it sound like no lgbtf should be ta ught witageh straight stuff which is why I replied the way I did, they're both just as important as eachother! I could also have kids, so don't assume :) 

Yeah sorry, well hopefully now you realise that isn't what I meant, I agree teach it all, but do it when the kids are at an age that's it appropriate for, not while some are still in nappies.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...