Crinkley Bottom (Cricket St Thomas)

sjib29

The Theme Park was only open 13 weeks and was owned by Nole Edmonds. Dont know much about it but would like to know more.

I actually remember this being around, I never went there but it was in Somerset. I came across a post on an urban exploration forum with some pictures taken recently of a decrepid Mr Blobby house, might be good for a laughPosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImageOther than that, there's not really much I can tell you, but I guess it's safe to assume that the park wasn't a complete success :)

• 4 weeks later...

Hey I could spend hours talking about this place - it indirectly influenced my life! I went there in 1996, I think it had been open about a year or so before... There was a Mr Blobby house, a Noddyland to walk through and, the best bit, a river ride based on old children's TV programmes like the Magic Roundabout and Doctor Who. I have since been obsessed by that ride and have spent the last three years frantically researching it, and on the way have discovered a lot about Crinkley Bottom at Cricket St Thomas...The place was set up by the Taylor family and remained there til January 1999 when it was bought by Warner holidays. They got rid of everything (the Blobby bit closed in 1997 however), sold the ride to Watermouth Castle in Ilfracombe and ditched Noddy, play areas et al. It's now a Wildlife Park and adults only hotel, and the only remaining part is the decrepid Mr Blobby house, as previously mentioned. I think it was a mild success, especially the Water ride, but without Mr Blobby promoting it as a 'TV village' I guess Noddy and co seemed a bit out of place so they were scrapped.If anyone has any info about that TV water ride I would love to hear from you as, like I say, I'm obsessed with it!Thom :P

• 2 years later...
  • 3 years later...

Crinkley Bottom is a (defunct) park I have always been interested in, being perhaps of the most famous themepark failures in modern times resulting in two themeparks emerging in the mid nineties based on TV character Mr Blobby (whom I sort of grew up with in my early childhood).

The first park which I think was around Scarborough closed after just a few months whilst the one in St Thomas lasted until around 1999 when the Tv show blobby was based on, Noel's House Party was axed. The park itself lasted three years and is now owned by Warner hotel group as I'm aware. The park's centrepiece attraction the Blobby House (Dunblobbin) remained derelict (although became home to illegal raves & vandalism) until the start of 2015 when the ageing structure was put out of its misery and demolished.

I found this video which shows many sections of the park including the Dunblobbin

Nostalgia aside, the park was probably never that good (no surprises it didn't last that long) and was probably not a patch on other parks around such as Chessington, Legoland and others (90's here). However it is very interesting footage and from a park where all official knowledge and information of is rare and far few between is highly sought after.

If the park was built today, it would indeed look very dated, old and tacky.