Six Flags Magic Mountain

Colossus was/is not a good woodie.

This...

It wasn't very good 7 years ago, I doubt age has treated it particularly well...

Besides, they already tried to make it popular again by turning trains backwards, and of course when you consider the other coasters in the park (and the probably superior woodie across the ways from it), it's lifespan was marked...

It'll be a RMC... Like, there's zero doubt about that... Shame, a duelling GCI would be fab <3

I think it will definitely be and RMC upgrade, I know this is coincidence but both Iron Rattler both had these posted up next to the rides. Both closing at around the same time.

P1080609.JPG

BpJEODvCYAAahmP.jpg

Plus Screamscape got intel from Six Flags that and RMC Iron Horse reboot was on the cards for the near future. So seeing how Six flags are RMC'ing all their old woodies this is one of the most likely things happening.

I'm (nearly) always sad to see old major rides go. Think it's fair to say it wasn't great but it wasn't all bad either, world moves on to newer things I suppose but having one less major woodie in the world is a shame. Unless it's being referbed, then thumbs up!

**Unearth's topic**

Colossus has today been officially announced to be CLOSING on the 16th August this year! Thoughts?

Perhaps we will see this given the RMC treatment... Or just completely demolished...

A racing RMC could be quite interesting.

Source: Theme Park Review

And that's another coaster that I will sadly never get to experience (at least in its original form).

Always remember this ride from RCT 2 Magic Mountain game & the Lampoons vacation film when the Griswolds trespassed in to a closed Walley World (filmed at Magic Mountain).

I hope the ride gets the RMC treatment as it'll hopefully improve its smoothness, but as a hybrid I doubt it'll feel the same on a steel hybrid track and will lose a lot of its originality.

Well given the fact that one side of Colossus isn't fit to operate due to the track being in a dismal state where half of it doesn't even have track anymore then I'm not surprised.

I first rode it back in 2013, forwards; and it was a good woodie but it was just too rough. And then this year when I visited I rode it backwards for the sake of it and it was even worse. Shame because they spent a lot of money allegedly having B&M create new trains for it.

I wouldn't be surprised if it gets a modern refurbishment, but I think it'll need both sides back. Magic Mountain have killed Colossus but building Apocalypse* - which is a far superior woodie for the modern day, alongside taking out the fun racing element of Colossus (also I would have loved to have ridden it back when all the control boxes around the ride were in use).

But as far as I'm concerned I'm not going to miss it next year. I wouldn't have ridden it this year if it wasn't for the backwards gimmick - which they've done every Hallowe'en for the last few years anyway.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Whilst I'm not the biggest fan of wood/steel hybrids, I must admit this does actually look very very good and impressive, especially with its duelling element like the old ride.

Six flags do like their hybrid coasters currently. I wonder what the next coaster to get the hybrid treatment, Rolling Thunder?

I fear for the throughputs.

It's fine they just need to run at least 3 trai- 

Yeah I'm not sure at the moment. The interactions between trains are cool and I'm surprised it's happening considering the issues Duelling Dragons had. While it is using the existing structure, a lot of it has been ripped out. I feel its length was one of the defining features of the original Colossus. Now we have a pretty short circuit that is repeated almost exactly to increase the length. The speed at which it hits the second lift hill is hilarious.

• 2 weeks later...

Its not a deliberate thing, to dissmantle the track the have had to get the track off with a flaming torch but they spray water on it everyday so that it wouldn't catch on fire, it might of been the case that they had sprayed water on it, they might not have sprayed enough and the wood was still too dry so when they were torching the wood as it was dry wood it caught on fire. I will link a video of them doing this later but I'm on my phone at the moment. Its just silly to think this was deliberate! What's the point of deliberately setting fire to your coaster which you are going to convert when chances are they could lose control of the fire and burn the whole thing down... Yeah such an inside job.