Alton Towers General Discussion

themeparkmad

It's not a good idea, and I hope they return the old system ASAP.

When they let all guests into the park at 9:30pm, you end up REALLY angering non ERT guests. They stand there at the ride entrance, watching people go on the rides with next to no queue.I have already heard of several cases of abuse being hurled at ERT guests.

It's so uneasy.

It's not a good idea, and I hope they return the old system ASAP.

When they let all guests into the park at 9:30pm, you end up REALLY angering non ERT guests. They stand there at the ride entrance, watching people go on the rides with next to no queue.I have already heard of several cases of abuse being hurled at ERT guests.

It's so uneasy.

This.

On saturday I got to Oblivion at about 9:30, with people in groups faffing around to find their AP's/proof of entry, then a rather large line of other guests waiting for the 10AM standard opening. The staff at the entrance of Oblivion seemed to be having to explain to guests why AP holders are given priority access, I overheard someone saying to the staff member how they could see empty seats on the ride and it was stupid they weren't allowed on it.

The old system was much better in my opinion, as guests disperse into rides at a slower pace rather than having them all rushing into the queue at once at 10AM. Let's just hope this is yet another decision which Towers decide go back on as well... :unsure:

Yeah agreed, I walked passed a massive group of people outside Oblivion and just went straight in, they didn't shout anything at us or anything just looked at us peed off!

Last year I remember they let them into towers street but you had to show your ticket before you could go any further. That was a much better idea!

Dislike the idea currently.

If they don't want the crowds in towers street and the difficulties of ERT guests getting into park early (which was why they were trialling this thing), then they should just let anyone on at 930. It's unfair on ERT guests and unfair on normal guests to have the current ways.

Seen staff just let anyone on the ride as well from 930 instead of checking, but they were getting moaned at by ERT guests for allowing anyone on. Madness.

Alton Towers should revert to the system of years ago.

Woodland Walk opens at 8:45am for Hotel Guests and Annual Pass Holders. Make a nicer entrance for the Woodland Walk, add some signage about gardens and fastrack options etc. on the walk, ERT in Forbidden Valley on all rides in the area.

The park opens at 9:30am for all, via Towers Street. There is a cordon at Gloomy Wood to prevent guests from going through to Forbidden Valley.

At 10:00am, cordon is liften and all rides open.

Where possible, other rides in the park open before 10:00am to alleviate any queuing.

:)

• 2 weeks later...

The latest in the long list of cost cutting measures being implemented across Merlin parks in Britain:

As of tomorrow The Skyride is set to have its opening hours reduced, so the popular transportation attraction will only be available on peak days of the season.

In what is widely believed to be a cost cutting measure, the Skyride will see its opening hours dramatically reduced, only opening on peak days. This will effectively reduce the ride to operating only on exceptionally busy weekends and school holidays, when there are larger crowds in the park. With its three stations across the park, along with requiring a large amount of power, the Skyride has often been considered as an attraction which is one of the more expensive to operate.

It is not the first time the measure has been introduced by the park, with a similar scheme being put in place during the 2007 season, also to reduce the running costs of the park.

The most recent closures are the latest in a long line of events which have forced the Skyride to be closed during an open season, after fires in 2007 and 2009, and cable refurbishment in 2010 and 2011.

From TT News.

I've heard that it's down to the opening hours going back to 5pm, yet the staffing budget didn't increase to counter this factor in.

Might not be completely true, but may explain why they wish to save 9 people a day operating this, let alone the skyride rescue team which get paid a fair bit per hour it's in operation.

Yes. They have obviously cancelled the closure of Submission and Enterprise, and reinstated 5:00pm ride closes for April/May/June off peak days. Presumably the park still have to make the same savings. Even though, to my knowledge, Alton Towers' visitor numbers are actually up on 2011!

Shame anyway, but nothing seems a suprise this season. I half expect Air and Nemesis to be operating on rotation come September!

Well, it could be worse at least.

I remember on my first visit to AT and Skyride was down practically all day. It didn't spoil my day one bit, and if it had been open, all it probably would've meant would have been maybe an extra ride, and not as much enjoying walking round the park.

I much prefer this idea to closing the park an hour early or not opening actual rides; the lesser of the evils if you will...

It's those guests who find it more difficult to walk, that I feel for. It's a hell of a trek from Air to Dark Forest, or X Sector, when there's no park transportation system. It's not like Thorpe or CWOA which are smaller. It really is a big place, which needs this system in the name of customer service.

But, like I said, no cuts really seem a surprise now. But that consideration of riding Rita when you're standing by Air, seems like a real chore, when there's no Skyride system to take you there.

But that consideration of riding Rita when you're standing by Air, seems like a real chore, when there's no Skyride system to take you there.

To be fair, the consideration of riding Rita when you're standing by Rita is a chore anyways, so it's a win-win...

Well, it could be worse at least.

I remember on my first visit to AT and Skyride was down practically all day. It didn't spoil my day one bit, and if it had been open, all it probably would've meant would have been maybe an extra ride, and not as much enjoying walking round the park.

I much prefer this idea to closing the park an hour early or not opening actual rides; the lesser of the evils if you will...

Personally love to see you lugging yourself round in a wheelchair or in crutches without the skyride. :P

It's not about getting that extra ride in though, it's about helping people around the park. It doesn't surprise me that the cuts have been made but it's another huge factor in the day. Actually worse then Wild Asia and Detonator being closed for an hour at the beginning of the day.

nothing seems a suprise this season. I half expect Air and Nemesis to be operating on rotation come September!

I know that wasn't entirely serious, but Ripsaw/Blade and Submission/Enterprise on rotation would seem entirely plausible, though if it comes to borrowing money saving policies from Oakwood of all places then it's really time to worry about the future of the park...

bank holidays are normally quiet its the day before and after that are busy :)

So, you're saying the 3rd and 6th would be most busy? But aren't the kids all off school on the actual bank holiday days themselves? So which day would you recommend going?

Basically I want to go to to alton towers on monday 4th june, but I want to be sure that it's not going to be busy because I'll probably be by myself and want to make the most of the day as it's not cheap, (I'm at uni and on a very tight budget!). It's just I would like to go to alton towers because it's so close to my university and they're hosting a coach day out for students! I have a strong nostalgia for the park as my parents took me when I was younger, and I also recently found out that John Wardley is the designer for most of the rides and I feel like I want to go and admire his work... and ride the rides as much as I can!!

As far as I know, that's it now for closing rides. In truth, I reckon Alton knew exactly what would happen with Skyride. It's almost so they can prove to themselves and/or the powers that be that closing attractions in a theme park does nothing for reputation and guest experience.

The image of guests hauling pushchairs around the garden, sweating and red faced, looking totally hacked off - and pretty much clueless about which way to go, is something I do not treasure.

:P

• 3 weeks later...