Alton Towers General Discussion

themeparkmad

• 4 weeks later...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM_v4CUijmQ

Just watching this and I went to the site mentioned, upon reading the terms and conditions I saw that early ride time was only available to those booking tickets to the park as well as the hotel stay, being a new premium annual pass holder this year how does ERT work in the situation in which I book a hotel stay and use a pass to get in the park as like all of us, I presume, I would greatly appreciate ERT :)

• 5 weeks later...

http://www.themeparktourist.com/news/20140204/16083/alton-towers-remove-submission-could-ripsaw-be-next

So with Submission's gone the above article from Theme Park Tourist says about the future of some other flat rides, Spinball and The Flume at Alton Towers. Hopefully the others don't get removed as soon as it says, or at all to be honest.

Spinball's future is a bit up in the air tbh, because of the reasoning given in the aforementioned website... I'd like to see it moved down to Cloud Cuckoo Land just to give people a reason to go there but I believe that would be tricky to do... Besides, would allow a lot of space for something to replace that isn't as noisy or burdenous there...

Flume needs to go as well for a better water ride, certainly showing it's age...

Couldn't really care less personally about Ripsaw and Blade, but those would be down to age and high maintenance costs should they be removed...

Trying to plan a trip or two to alton towers in April, May and/or June which would be on a friday... just wondering if anyone knows from past years what's the chances of alton towers being open later in June in comparison to April, or in comparison to Thorpe?

many thanks, I know it won't be definite answers as alton haven't released their opening times yet, and if I'm right in saying don't think they do til like a month before?

It's unlikely that Towers will open later than Thorpe during the same days over holidays or whatever... 6pm during summer/holidays is the best you can hope for...

However, for a Friday, don't go in June, it'll be awful and full of burdenous children...

June is never really a problem. I've done so many birthday trips in June and you get the advantage of a moderately busy park (I'm talking 20 minute queues max), very few children and the chances of very hot weather. Best time to go IMO.

Alton Towers' opening hours, that perennial sore point.

Since 2011, Alton Towers' opening hours have gradually been squeezed, with 7pm closes in August cut back to 6pm, and even fairly busy days remaining at 5 or 5.30pm through the season.

To be honest, 5pm during term time weekdays is usually perfectly adequate (aside from school trip season), but it continues to perplex me how little they will adapt the hours on, for example, a Saturday.

Typically, the park may welcome 5 to 6,000 guests on a quiet weekday earlier in the season, and they will close at 5pm. Yet the Saturday may get double the guests - but it remains at 5pm.

Alton Towers should introduce blanket 6pm closes on Saturday and school holidays (at the earliest), 5.30pm on Sunday and 5pm on school term time weekdays. Then, Scarefest is obviously 9pm.

There were times last year when the park closed at 5pm and The Flume still had a 30-45 minute queue... the queues to get out were horrendous and Towers Street was still packed at 6 or 6.30pm because people didn't want to leave, but were being forced out.

Hopefully, as we saw in 2010, 2014 will be a bumper year and they will have the cash to extend more.

I found that people complain about Alton Towers closing times, but then don't actually stay that late anyway. E.g. people complained about last years Scarefest being potentially cut to earlier times, yet some of those people probably wouldn't of stayed later anyway. Although I'm a major Fright Nights fan myself, "Viva La Fright Nights!" - (Can someone make me a sig with that on?) ;)

Tree felling due to disease?

I hope it's a sign though for SW8... And I hope Alton continue to utilise space within the park for new rides rather than straight away expanding into the car park by air etc. Leaving the car park will leave them with such a great potential for a whole new area and entrance rather than building a ride and fitting things in with it at a later date.

I think the flume should be removed in the next few years (well that's inevitable, and replaced by a new flume ride as well as a solid family coaster built around each other with the pirate theme if they're sticking with mutiny bay, the rides could be planned and designed together but built a year after the other so they can save money designing it together and possibly sharing supports etc. And have a new ride to advertise for two seperate years!

Yeah when I went on Saturday I'm not joking there was tonnes of red/orange spots on trees so if it's tree felling it is pretty sustancial, hopefully its something to do with SW8 but then to be dotting trees this early would be surprising! Also what I liked is that most of the dots were situated around the gloomy wood so it would be nice for something to be added to that area!

1392462277.jpg

Low and behold - a picture of what everyone is talking about! (From Towers Nerd Live - http://live.towersnerd.com/, of course)

Could be for SW8, could not be. It's not been that much of a secret that there's been rumours of SW8 replacing the flume, going near Gloomy Wood, etc., and that this is the original SW7 which was delayed due to technical issues, etc. etc.

Not much more that we can speculate over for the time being. Could just be the felling of trees; there seems to have been quite a lot of that judging on the pictures from TNL.