Alton Towers General Discussion

themeparkmad

Sorry but, this is now six attractions that open at 11am; regardless of the time of the year. Now, if you're paying to enter; that isn't a great start to your day. It's something I hate parks like Pleasure Beach doing; and Paultons Park on off-peak times; but in a mainstream park, opening six attractions an hour after the park opens regardless of the time of year. Mixed with the fact you're losing out on Submission...

I also feel it's quite limiting for those with accessibility issues, such as those in wheelchairs. It's basically limiting what they can easily access within the first hour of the day - and anyone who's tried to take a wheelchair user to Alton Towers will know how difficult it is getting into areas like X Sector, let alone getting up to Forbidden Valley.

I plan my day by going on sonic first and then (or) straight to 13 and rita whilst they're quiet, and then walk accross the valley to forbidden valley and do the rides there a couple of times, and then back through to mutiny bay, then cloud cuckoo, and then x sector, can get it all done between about 10 and 2/3 with lunch stop included even when it's relatively busy - so now I get ERT with my annual pass it just annoys me the ERT rides are over the other bit of the park which leaves 13 and rita to be done when it's a lot busier later on in the day, so probably won't use ERT, but would just be in my mind the fact that I got it and am not using it!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Legoland and Chessington extended their opening hours until 7pm today. Alton Towers still closed the rides at 5pm - crazy!

Even after several of the coasters had periods of downtime during the day and it's so busy being Easter holidays. Madness...

Good for Legoland and Chessie - what the hell is wrong with Towers?! :o

I would guess a big reason is that Legoland and Chessington are both in the London surrounds, with access roads and transport network to support the influx of people leaving the park. AT is in the middle of nowhere, and I'd imagine that the locals would start getting extremely pissed off if the roads through the village were still gridlocked at 8.30pm. I think AT have to negotiate very carefully when they're going to be open late and the like.

That's pure speculation btw, it could be more to do with the fact that the place is a shambles!

Or that it is not a shambles? By that I mean Alton had a very busy day and for the most part coped with it, queues were not excesive and it was possible to have a decent day out within the standard hours. Chessington and Lego fall over operationally so staying open late was kind of necessary to head off thousands of complaints.

Again, just a theory. It's still true that Altons opening hours suck for a park of that size and popularity.

Or that it is not a shambles? By that I mean Alton had a very busy day and for the most part coped with it, queues were not excesive and it was possible to have a decent day out within the standard hours. Chessington and Lego fall over operationally so staying open late was kind of necessary to head of thousands of complaints.

Nope, as I know of other UK parks that have extended these holidays despite having good operations.

It may well be the case that that happens elsewhere, but doesn't mean my guess isn't right here. Extending hours as a response to a park not coping is a regular melin tactic (I've had it happen at Towers too) but I've never seen it happen just because they fancy it like Blackpool seem to do.

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk

It may well be the case that that happens elsewhere, but doesn't mean my guess isn't right here. Extending hours as a response to a park not coping is a regular melin tactic (I've had it happen at Towers too) but I've never seen it happen just because they fancy it like Blackpool seem to do.

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk

I see what you mean now - yes extending an extra hour due to crowds is good but not at the expense of park operations.

Blackpool seem to manage both and they are a family owned park, come on Merlin! :lol:

Just a quick question and I don't know if I can expect an answer since I couldn't find one via a Google search but does anyone know what the origins of the monkey doll branded with an Oblivion 10th anniversary thing that I have gained possession of? XD

It's like a Monkey hand puppet and the foot is branded with the oblivion logo and a 10th anniversary thing. It was found in a charity shop and bought cheaply by my mother who works with kids before I noticed the oblivion branding. Can anyone shed any light on this since I can find next to no references to it online besides a brief mention of one on the towers forum in a list of merchandise someone had?

• 4 weeks later...