Alton Towers General Discussion

themeparkmad

I'm going on the 20th could you possibly tell me how busy that's going to be aswell(it's a Monday scarefest of the off peak week, I'm presuming not too busy although it's a monday?) I a

I'm going on the 21st... I went a similar time last year, and besides the smiler which probably had a 2 hour queue, carnival of screams had like a half hour queue (although that's no longer there and scarezones have more people throughput generally, so max 5 mins I'm guessing), and all the other rides were minimal queues, up to half hour at the most! :)

Can only talk of my own limited experience, bur the whole atmosphere changes a lot, caused almost as much by the parks reaction (which I'm not criticizing) as by the travelers themselves.

By 'letting them do as they wish' I presume Fred refers to the excessive queue jumping, loud swearing and smoking everywhere (it's not all of them, happens every day, lets not be racist, yada yada yada), which are not things I'm able to tolerate myself. Last time I stopped a queue jumper pushing by me (which I will always do) I got threatened with a stabbing repeatedly for the remainder of my 20min Smiler queue.

It's not a pleasant place to be, I'd avoid those days and I wish towers could 'work with the community' in some way to stop these weekends having such an impact on their guests.

I remember at Thorpe Park Fright Nights last year there was a similar day - it was horrendous.

• Saw a woman get mugged (we helped her by getting a security guard over)
  • My Bloody Valentine evacuated and closed for at least an hour as a result of something serious caused by one of these idiots!
  • Actor having to come out of MBV later in the day to stop chavs repeatedly banging on the wall
  • People smoking everywhere.  In queues, in people's faces, restaurants etc...
  • Queue jumpers.
  • Queue fence jumpers
  • Loads of people staggering around the park drunk
  • Verbal abuse
  • Standing up on Storm Surge despite repeated shouting by the ops (AND THEY DIDN'T EVEN GET KICKED OUT OF THE PARK!)
  • Being pushed into a fence in Asylum (as we were at the front and their reaction to being scared was just to run forward)
  • Witnessed quite a serious fight outside MBV

In fact, I recall it being quite bad on all my FN visits last year, but one Sunday was the absolute worst!

I'm not sure how Towers cope with it but Thorpe need to knuckle down big time this year as they were not able to cope last year.

They're not there on Mondays. Sundays are by far the worst.

Towers is pretty good with it.. they have a lot of police and security around. A LOT. It's just easier (and better for everyone) that if something happens to alert the security staff as they eject people being morons.

They're not there on Mondays. Sundays are by far the worst.

Towers is pretty good with it.. they have a lot of police and security around. A LOT. It's just easier (and better for everyone) that if something happens to alert the security staff as they eject people being morons.

That's what should happen.  Thorpe just say "don't do it again" a lot of the time, or don't even do anything.

One thing that I think needs to happen is bag searching everyone at FN rather than just a few.

That's what should happen.  Thorpe just say "don't do it again" a lot of the time, or don't even do anything.

One thing that I think needs to happen is bag searching everyone at FN rather than just a few.

At thorpe, the bag searching is optional. If the guest chooses to have his/her bag searched, then it happens. If they just walk straight past, the security guards don't care and won't do anything about it. Thorpe's security is very poor. The amount of times I've seen smokers and queuejumpers for the park to do nothing about it. I'm just lucky I haven't witnessed a fight or anything like that and I'm hoping not to anytime soon.

That's what should happen. Thorpe just say "don't do it again" a lot of the time, or don't even do anything.

It depends on the day. If it's one of these days they know they will have a high chance of issues then security is stepped up with police presence / more bag searching.

I was at one of these days at towers last year and the crowds around the towers was horrible - you literally had to squeeze through 100's of people blocking the entrances, there was police there watching over things and didn't see much trouble apart from at a couple of mazes.

• 3 weeks later...

I just got back from Alton Towers and I didn't realise it was pi traveller day until at least 11 when I saw some girls dressed up like prostitutes with the worst fan tan I've ever seen.

Luckily they all stick to themselves mostly if you leave them alone. One of the prostitots was checking me out though. I feel violated.

The mazes were great, but traveller CHILDREN were not listening to the poor guide talk through his little speech thing. They held up the ride for 10 minutes by acting like annoying little *****s and when they DID go in to the ride they ran out screaming instantly. It's just annoying as ****. Didn't really have many other interactions with them.

Just for future reference on the subject of traveller days I was there on Sunday. After all I had read on the subject I was a bit worried about it and how it would affect our day but I must admit they really weren't any trouble at all and we had a great day. Yes they may look intimidating and congregate in large groups around the towers but if you just get on with your day it won't be affected. The park had clearly prepared well, security was absolutely everywhere around the towers and ride entrances so you felt perfectly safe regardless. 

Now I've experienced it I couldn't care less whether it was a travellers day or not, we may have been lucky not to see any trouble but we had such a good time anyway that I would happily go to scarefest on the same day next year!

• 1 month later...