Alton Towers General Discussion

themeparkmad

I've just read online that the entire Entertainments team (the street actors including the pirate on the boat and the people in blue who greet you) have all gone with the exception of Cbeebies

I imagine they've all been redeployed to a row of Galactica with some alcohol wipes.

Actually entertaining anyone seems pretty low on the priorities these days.

How many times do we have to say of course there's going to be massive cuts during the biggest accident in Alton Towers history. How. Many. Times. 

I wasn't having a dig at Alton Towers, I was just saying why they were cut instead of other departments. I couldn't care less about some entertainers wandering round the park.

It's a little more than paint... And I felt the park was starting to get better these last couple of years. It'll be interesting to see where the park is in a few years once they compete their 'TLC', what rides will we see open and what new rides, along with the other staff cuts coming back... I just hope the park stays popular enough for all this to come back. Not sure if Merlin are going the right way about it though :/

I find it crazy that they have closed so many family rides.

The park's target audience is families, yet there is hardly anything for people who have outgrown Cbeebies Land but who don't want to/can't go on the big coasters - I read several complaints about this on Alton's Facebook page over the weekend and frankly I'm not surprised.

It wouldn't surprise me if they lose a lot of custom from families this year as there are simply not enough rides open for them.

The ents team are a lot more than just on park wandering actors, those are just the front liners . The ents team are responsible for Scarefest, on park audio and co ordination of other things.

I don't believe the team were completely cut, from what I understand a lot of them walked out. The Smiler accident does not all justify many of the losses that went on behind the scenes over winter.

Sadly I think it is to be expected following the accident, the park will be retracting it's ride, food,shop and ents offering for the time being. 

2016 is very much the year for the park to clear the smashed glass and slowly get back on track to hopefully regaining it's position as the UK's flagship park [a position possibly currently held joint by Thorpe & Chessington]. 

Hopefully if Galactica is a success and crowds resume slightly, I can see Hex & Sub-Terra possibly reopening possibly for summer season, bringing back two much needed rides.

As for the others, it's anyones guess. We know Flume's site will become home to SW8 in 2017/2018, Charlie could be getting rethemed/ replaced with a new dark ride and driving school could well be for future developments also. Ripsaw's site will probably remain vacant for at least a couple of seasons assuming the original SW plans have been shelved/cancelled.

These rides must be getting some sort of attention for them to warrant it being closed as part of TLC... So the way I see it, leaving it closed for a year allows them to save money and fund the TLC on the ride... I'm thinking more Hex.. I doubt sub Terra will come back unfortunately, and Charlie I can see being closed for a while and being reused as a building for a dark ride at a later time, hmmm

Sounds like a typical day at certain halls at my university.

Still ironic though as there seems to a fire curse/problem there. Hopefully it hasn't gone up in smoke though.

Yeah, sounds just like my hall during freshers :D And no, the place did re open later in the day, so it hasn't gone up yet :)