Alton Towers General Discussion

themeparkmad

My interpretation of a dark ride is this.

If the ride features a considerable amount of scenery, animatronics and/or screens that seem to depict a setting then Yes it is a dark ride. If it's just a few effects or things like lasers then no it's not a dark ride.

For example: Enclosed coasters and water rides I consider dark rides:

Arhur

valhalla 

Vogel Rock

River Caves

Those I do not:

X

Temple In The Nighthawk

The Logflume at Toverland

Euro Sat

Space Mountain is debatable.

I agree with Matt here, if AT get a highly themed next generation flume - like Valhalla - then it's a dark ride. But it just happens to be a dark ride using a water based transit system.

Bubbleworks is a dark ride which uses a water based transit system. Therefore it's both a dark ride and a water ride. I see no reason why a flume couldn't be the same.

There is no reason why a dark ride can't use water-based transit, likewise roller coaster transit. That's not to say that all indoor coasters are dark rides as it depends on a number of different factors.

For example, I see no reason why rides such as Valhalla, Bubbleworks and River Caves can't be classed as dark rides just because they use water-based transport.

I think there's a big difference between a family attraction and a kid attraction. This to me looks like a kid attraction - in that I can't see adults riding it without kids.

The best attractions are the ones for everybody. These are what I consider family attractions. Examples are log flumes, river rapids and lots of family oreintated dark rides. ANYONE can enjoy these attractions. I'd ride them, as would adults and kids alike.

Anyway, here's my point. Attractions such as this, which are just aimed at kids won't give the Towers a vast attendance boost. Use them as fillers if you may but I do feel like the problem with a lot of British theme parks is the lack of investments for everybody.