Alton Towers General Discussion

themeparkmad

7 hours ago, ChessingtonSam said:

The Birmingham Mail says it will sit amid CBeebies Land.. We don't really know yet

Like whay Stretcy said, The Birmingham Mail don't know more than the planners and Towers themselves... we do really know already.

I'm sure any significant activity in the area will be the start of them getting ready for next year's new CBeebies ride.

Anybody know why the Smiler was shut all day Wednesday?  There was loads of unhappy people around it lol, we got on one of the last runs before the park closed on Tuesday and the station didn't arf stink of burning motors (think it reopened today but didn't go on park).

36 minutes ago, Ian-S said:

Anybody know why the Smiler was shut all day Wednesday?  There was loads of unhappy people around it lol, we got on one of the last runs before the park closed on Tuesday and the station didn't arf stink of burning motors (think it reopened today but didn't go on park).

Half the rides where closed on Wednesday lol. Also literally every ride today was 15 minutes apart from Smiler which was 15-30 according to the app.

Smiler was walk on via the single riders queue this afternoon, I'm very pleased to say!

Digging of foundations has started on cbeebies hotel,

I stumbled onto the building site after walking up to King Ina's rocks,

finally searched them out after years of hunting.

Lovely but wet afternoon at the towers.

Thirteen broken again.

M6 as crap as ever.

Edited by rob666
spellin'

12 hours ago, ChessingtonSam said:

Half the rides where closed on Wednesday lol. Also literally every ride today was 15 minutes apart from Smiler which was 15-30 according to the app.

Yes even the monorail broke down too on Wednesday, it was not a good day for breakdowns.

I had to laugh, or scratch my head in disbelief at one point, Galatica has an hour queue, Nemesis was walk on, so was Rita and 13 had a long queue too, even my wife who doesn't do coasters couldn't work out the logic in that (she asked why the better rides had no queues and the crap ones did), meanwhile we just ignored her and ran back to the Nemesis queue again lol.

10 hours ago, RobF said:

Old rides unfortunatly dont have the same hype drive to jo public as newer ones do, plus Nemesis is a great throughput monster....

But then Colossus at Thorpe is the oldest coaster there, at the queue is always longest on busy days...

Back to Towers though, Nemesis has brilliant throughput and therefore the queue is reduced, whereas Rita's throughput isn't all that great, and therefore the queue is extended.

9 hours ago, MilesK said:

But then Colossus at Thorpe is the oldest coaster there, at the queue is always longest on busy days...

Back to Towers though, Nemesis has brilliant throughput and therefore the queue is reduced, whereas Rita's throughput isn't all that great, and therefore the queue is extended.

Colssus is

A half the age of nemesis 

B there is a difference of near 500 people per hour between Colossus and nemesis

The statistical throughputs for coasters are:

Nemesis and Inferno will achieve around 1100 -1200 people on a good day whilst Colossus will struggle to reach 1000.

Rita's is probably around 1000 on a good day which is practically the same as Stealth. Smiler is around 950 with Galactica probably struggling on 600 PPH in its current state.

X probably gets around 400 PPH in its sorry state of 2 train ops with Fish probably getting 500 on a good day.

On 2 August 2016 at 9:39 PM, Matt Creek said:

The statistical throughputs for coasters are:

Nemesis and Inferno will achieve around 1100 -1200 people on a good day whilst Colossus will struggle to reach 1000.

Rita's is probably around 1000 on a good day which is practically the same as Stealth. Smiler is around 950 with Galactica probably struggling on 600 PPH in its current state.

X probably gets around 400 PPH in its sorry state of 2 train ops with Fish probably getting 500 on a good day.

Nemesis has an extra row over inferno.  

So 36ish dispatches an hour gives nemesis over 140 people more per hour

Colossus realistic throughput is 700-800 due to a lack of a decent brake run. The previous train cannot be dispatched  until its backed up at the station because the ride blocks out and stops on the lift ......

In theory the ride can do more but the block system and lack on 2 sections of brakes due to the last inline is a big issue.

22 minutes ago, Matt Creek said:

Didn't Smiler used to have five?

I'm guessing since the incident they've only been able to replace one of the trains.

if the throughput is 700 typically, it's still doing a better job than Galactica which struggles getting 600 PPH on a good day.

Yeah it did. I think the idea was get one more train as quickly as possible in case they need to run it in busy season, and maybe order another one after when budget allows?

Also I dont get this whole thing about Galactica's throughput being so destroyed, whenever I've been (like three times since its opened and I've ridden it multiple times each visit) there's been barely any stacking on three trains (if any at all) and a lot of the time they're actually getting it out faster than needed and its had to slow on the lift hill.

1 hour ago, Benin said:

I think Smiler started the season with 3 trains, the (new) fourth train only just turning up recently, but I wouldn't be surprised if the park are tentative about it...

I can imagine onlookers going mental if there were two trains on the track because people are thick...

They still run Smiler like they used to, they were definitely duelling during my visit.