Alton Towers General Discussion

themeparkmad

The Smiler is the only ride closed today, rest were just experiencing shutdowns. Everything thats meant to be open is currently open.

Do still think its poor though how they continue to have main attractions closed without this posted on social media or their website, same goes for Thorpe with Stealth.

2 hours ago, HermanTheGerman said:

Errr, this thing closed two years ago... 

Well there was never a public announcement of its closure. It was just take from the rides lineup one year. I personally just assumed it was in a Logger's leap state of "Refurbishment".

No great loss, either way.

Towers seem very good at dropping rides at the moment...

Sub Terra is following Loggers: 'under Towers Loving Care' but, actually, doing nothing.

CATCF just subtly goes - although I'd love to know why as it was popular for families, so I wonder what happened there.

And then theres Ice Age... because why not invest into a 4D cinema, and then just close it when the IP expires.

https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/CYDZLYN

Hi all, 

I am completing a survey about Duel at Alton Towers, it would be extremely useful if you could complete it!

The survey is entirely unofficial and the results won't be made public, but it all for a good purpose. No personal details are collected.

Thank you!

Visited Towers today (or rather, yesterday... darn this need to work overnight...) on a rather enjoyable "research trip" for my dissertation.

Nemesis continues to look better with each lick of paint, but looking at last year's side suddenly made me realise - a lot of wear and tear happens within a year, and I'm now wary about how much the final year's worth of paint on the alien will contrast to the side that was repainted first, which will then be 3 years old. I also feel like clearing all of the overgrowing vegetation in the ravine would make a huge difference to the ride's appearance, but I assume that this isn't a likelihood as it probably "makes it look natural".

Regarding Hex, the changes are mostly good and will be excellent with some tweaks. The new lighting in the queue provides a nice transition between the daylight and the darkness of the preshows, and the sound in the preshows is now nice and loud (though so loud that it can be heard in the courtyard next door!). My only complaint would be in the Octagon, where the main lights don't fully turn off until the entire room's power cuts out, meaning that the room is still pretty bright when the equipment is malfunctioning, somewhat dampening the tone. The new smell does smell strongly of Listerine at first, but it grew on me. More than anything, it's nice to have the ride back!

With Duel, the lighting is worse than it's ever been, so I can completely understand and respect their decision to TLC it this winter, though I do pray that we don't end up with another 2016 Tomb Blaster.

I also really realised this time how much the park needs to bolster its supporting rides lineup. Over the past few years, we've seen its water rides, dark rides and large flat rides cut down by half each (Flume, Sub-Terra and Charlie, and Ripsaw, Toadstool and Submission closed/removed respectively), meaning there's very few major all-ages rides to do aside from roller coasters. If I were in charge, I'd include a flume and Charlie retool/heavy rework in whatever they plan to do with Cloud Cuckoo Land (fat chance, I know), reopen Sub-Terra and Toadstool to fill up their respective areas a little more (even if both are only temporary), and put a couple of new flat rides in, perhaps one in X-Sector and one in Dark Forest. 

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I saw two people carrying a wooden bench out of Sub-Terra, so I'm assuming it's just being used for storage at the moment.

• 3 weeks later...

Couldn't find an AT merch thread so I'll pop this here - I didn't see these last year although I only visited once so I have no idea if they are a new for 2017 thang - anyway you can get epic photo prints of 3 of the coasters (couldn't see any others) - much like the ones at TP for Saw: The Ride and DBGT although I "think" the AT ones may be marginally bigger - anyhoo - they have Rita, Nemesis and The Smiler - prints are £15, so £12 with MAP discount and they look like this....(excuse my terrible photo taking) - anyone know a decent place to buy frames? :air_kiss:

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• 2 months later...

Is the ability to walk the monorail route from hotels to theme park new for this year? If not I've never noticed it before. I thought it was a great addition - one day we had to use it as the monorail was broken but the other days we chose to use it for the exercise! I'm surprised they haven't had it longer. 

• 3 weeks later...